Author Topic: Dundee death 1966  (Read 851 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dundee death 1966
« on: Thursday 28 July 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
Archibald Taylor died in Dundee East in 1966.  How can I check if he made a will and if he did can I access the will.
Many thanks.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee death 1966
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 08:23 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian -

contacted National Records of Scotland - they take 2/3  months to reply to queries.

Any way I can find out sooner than that if Archibald Taylor who died in Broughty Ferry, Dundee East in 1966 made a will?

(I live in Yorkshire)  Thanks

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Electoral Register for Dundee 1965
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
Up to January 1966 Archibald Taylor lived at 184 Brook Street Dundee.

Would very much like to know who else was living at that address in the 1960-65 period.

Any advice much appreciated - thanks.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian -
contacted National Records of Scotland - they take 2/3  months to reply to queries.
That's their worst case scenario - if they are not too busy they might reply sooner.
Any way I can find out sooner than that if Archibald Taylor who died in Broughty Ferry, Dundee East in 1966 made a will? (I live in Yorkshire)  Thanks

Take an early morning train to Edinburgh, get a reader's ticket for the National Records of Scotland, and look it up yourself. At the same time, you could look up the 1965 Register of Electors for Dundee, either in the National Records or in the National Library of Scotland. Then take a late train home.

Alternatively hire a professional searcher to do the lookups for you. See http://www.asgra.co.uk/

Or hope that some kind soul who is planning a visit to NRS might offer to look them up for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.