Author Topic: ellen mcmcarty  (Read 1559 times)

Offline jimmyboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ellen mcmcarty
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 August 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
From your other post re Ellen McCarthy & John Evans

hi i posted this a wail back wondering if any one knows any thing about ellen mcmcarty  1843 pontypridd she married a john evans in 3 dec 1864 St Dubritius Chapel Roman Catholic Treforest Pontypridd i know she moved to neath i found her in the 1871 i wonder if her mum and dad are from ireland ? i was told to get a wedding cert ive just had it her father is down as denis mccarthy  job team road labourer wittness ellen riandan and emily kelly any help please thanks jimmy

Is this the 1871 you have - RG10/5430 f7 p8
John Evans   31 bn Stepaside, Pembrokeshire
Ellen Evans   28 bn Pontypridd, Glamorganshire
William Evans   4 Months bn Neath, Glamorganshire
yes thank you thats the one

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 September 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
 I have been following this thread with interest and have a couple of suggestions to make and of course this is only my own opinion as to Ellen's possible parents.

Having searched all Dennis Mc Carthy's born c 1800 to 1825 living in the the Glamorganshire area whatever parameters I set I kept keep coming back to this family on the 1861 census just three years before Ellen's marriage date.

RG 09 4044/76 P 21 McCarthy family as follows : Llantwit Fardre area Glamorganshire

Dennis McCarthy born c 1812  age 49, labourer in chain works, born Ireland 
with wife Catherine also born Ireland
Eldest son John born Swansea and daughter Ellen age 15 ( birth c 1846 which we know can vary ) also born Swansea  along with five younger siblings born Pontypridd.

If this is your Ellen and going by the marriage witness there is an Ellen Riordan with family also on the 1861 census Llantwit Fardre area who may just fit the bill.

Now bear with me on this,thinking out side the box.

Perhaps Ellen's birthplace on the 1871 Neath census is a red herring.

If, as is often the case, someone else filled in the return on their behalf due to illiteracy they may just have asked her where she came from, not where she had been born and she replied Pontypridd. i e where she had moved to Neath from and not given her place of birth.

Another suggestion,It may be an idea to see if any of the younger siblings in this family also marry or were baptised in St Dubritius RC thus keeping a family connection to the church. This family minus Ellen is still in the same area in 1871.

Best Wishes and looking forward to hearing how this progresses.

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimmyboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
hi Scatty thanks for takeing the time to help will take a look at what you have put jimmyboy