Author Topic: Out Pensioner records incomplete  (Read 588 times)

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Out Pensioner records incomplete
« on: Thursday 11 August 16 14:12 BST (UK) »
I started a thread about this ancestor in July and received a lot of help from ShaunJ, however I am still struggling to trace the date of death for Michael Meara born 1824 Ireland. He served with the 1st Royals in East Indies from 1842 to 1869 Number 698 and Find my Past have records of his discharge and his "admission to pension" and his payment record from Dec 1869 in Birr district then in Preston district when he moved to Lancs in 1874. These records run from 1869 to 1875 so I contacted National Archives about payments after 1875 and they referred me to WO 23/69 and WO 23/73 as the appropriate sections for further payment records. I requested a page check explaining that I was interested in the cessation of payment of pension in order to determine a date of death between 1881 and 1891. I am sure they did their best but they say nothing was found within the specified document. I only asked for WO 23/69 at the time and doubt if it is worth paying for a search of WO 23/73 as I fear they didn't trace Michael at all. All the usual record traces of his death between those dates have drawn a blank. Any further ideas gratefully considered.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Out Pensioner records incomplete
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
This is the last payment I could find so he should be alive until the beginning of 1883

First name(s)   Michael
Last name      Meara
Birth year   -
Year   1882-83
Regiment   94th Foot
Regiment / service number as transcribed   94 Foot
Return year   1883
Return month   Jan
Series   WO 22 - Royal Hospital Chelsea: returns of payment of army and other pensions 1842-1883
Archive   The National Archives
Archive reference   WO 22
Piece number   213
Piece description   Birr.
Year range   1882-1883
Record set   British Army Service Records
Category   Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory   Service Records
Collections from   United Kingdom

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Out Pensioner records incomplete
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pat. There are lots of Michael Mearas on the Find my Past results all from various regiments. How would the 94th Foot connect to the 1st Foot regiment? These latest payments look like they are made to Ireland which suggests that he left his family in Lancs and returned there. His discharge records under Micheal Meara 698 show his regiment as 65th then 1st Foot.