Author Topic: COWLING. -. Llanfair-ar-y-bryn  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COWLING. -. Llanfair-ar-y-bryn
« on: Friday 12 August 16 05:33 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the following two baptisms at Llanfair-ar-y-bryn:-

14 June 1807 - Josepha Cowling
2 August 1810 - Elizabeth Cowling

Does the original record contain additional information ( e g father's name) to assist me place them in a family?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COWLING. -. Llanfair-ar-y-bryn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 16 05:47 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth in 1810 has parents Thos and Anna

Josepha in 1807 has parents Thomas and Joanna

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 16 05:51 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in the parish on 4 Dec 1809 of a Thomas Cowling to Anna James - both were widow/widower

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
Maybe related -Burial of a Joan Cowling age 31 in the same parish on 17 May 1808

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 16 06:21 BST (UK) »
Possibly unrelated but I notice that in 1851 there is a  Thomas Cowling, wife Jane and family living in Llanfair-ar-y-bryn.   Thomas is listed as born 1792 in St Agnes Cornwall

Family Search has a marriage of possible parents - Thomas Cowling to Joanna Reynolds in 1791 in St Agnes Cornwall   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2JP-FB4  Possibly parents of Josepha as well??

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Kay, for that wealth of information which contributes to an interesting narrative.

Thomas Cowling and Joanna Reynolds had a daughter, Josepha, a twin in St Agnes in 1795. They had a second Josepha in Mary Tavy, Devon, in 1802. Thomas died  in Mary Tavy in 1817. News of his excursion into. Wales has come as a complete surprise.

In 1841 "Hannah" Cowling has living with children Elizabeth (13) and John (9) Eliss (sic). I have identified them as the children of John Ellis and Elizabeth Cowling, baptised Llanfairarybryn  1828 and 1832. Is it usual for Welsh baptism records to show the mother's maiden name or does this indicate that they were not married?

In 1851 Hannah is living as mother-in-law in the house of her daughter, Elizabeth, wife of David Rees. I can see no obvious record of a David Rees/Elizabeth Ellis marriage, but there is one between David Rees/ Eliza Cowling 29 Nov 1839. Cilycwm, Carms.  Would a widow be identified by her maiden name on re-marriage?

Also in 1851 Hannah has living with her Mary Ann Cowling, 45, unmarried sister in law to David Rees. I suspect this is a child from her former marriage but could be Mary, born Mary Tavy, daughter of Thomas  and Joanna.

I have not been able to identify Thomas (1792). No match born  Cornwall 1790-94. The closest I can find is Thomas(bapt. 1797), nephew of Thomas the elder.

Thomas and Joanne had a son, Philip, named after Joanna's father, born 1792. Thomas (1792) who probably married Jane Floyd, 1825, Llanfairarybryn also had a son, Philip (1833-50). I have come across the name Philip nowhere else in this branch of the tree. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 16 06:51 BST (UK) »
It does look as though the parents of Elizabeth  and John Alfred  Ellis were unmarried.   When Elizabeth was baptised her father was listed as John Ellis of Nantymwyn and her mother Elizabeth Cowling of Cringa.   A similar distinction was made when John Alfred was baptised although no separate residence was listed for Elizabeth.

I checked the 1839 marriage for David Rees to Eliza Cowling and she is listed as of full age - a spinster of Crinea?, Llanfair-ar-y-bryn  with father Thomas Cowling - miner

The only thought I have re Thomas b 1792 is that possibly he was the child of a sister of Thomas the elder and came to Wales with him??

Kay

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 August 16 07:18 BST (UK) »
Once again, Kay, many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

You appear to have sorted out Elizabeth for me. I guess I shall have to pursue Thomas 1792 elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Vic

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 August 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
Kay,

I had hoped that I would not have to trouble you again but I have just had a thought.

It seems to me quite possible that Thomas Cowling(1792) was the groom at the marriage of Jane Floyd in Llanfair-ar-y-bryn on 19 Aug 1825. Does the record provide any additional clues to the identity of bride and groom?

Cheers,

Vic