Author Topic: Simon Peter Alexander Ross  (Read 6718 times)

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simon Peter Alexander Ross
« on: Monday 15 August 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
Please could somebody guide me in the right direction - I'm trying to find the army record of Simon Peter Alexander Ross who was born 1920ish and definitely died in Rothes, Morayshire in the 1990s. I have been going round in circles looking at WW2 army records and cannot find any mention of him  - I believe he served in the Lovat Scouts and he was definitely in Italy but he's not one of the 308 names on their list of WW2 Scouts. I remember as a child seeing his photos of Italy and bits of his uniform - and a gun! He served in the Territorial Army in Elgin for years after the war. I cannot understand why there is no army record, at least not where I've been looking. Any advice would be most welcome.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Peter Alexander Ross
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
WWII service records are not public documents, so no genealogy site will have these (despite the way that many of the pay sites advertise!). There may be some databases around (e.g. of medals), but nothing that covers every man who served.

For his service records you would have to apply directly to the MOD:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

If he died less than 25 years ago (seems likely, if '1990s'), there is limited information that will be released, unless you are next of kin.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your advice. It seems I'm stuck then because although he lived with my family he wasn't a relative.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
Just to add -
Scotlandspeople website has a death for a Simon Peter Ale(as much as can be entered) Ross 1993 Elgin Moray , born c1913.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou ev - that would be him, he was born in Elgin and the date is about right..

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
After some help from people on RootsChat I have now found the grave of Simon Ross in Elgin cemetery and got a photo. I am now looking for his sisters - he was born in Morayshire in 1913 and had two sisters - one lived in Forres in the 1950s and my mother called her 'Siss' but I was too young to wonder what her name really was - Jessie, her mother's name perhaps? She went to Australia. There was another sister who lived in Elgin but I don't know her name. Their parents were John Ross and Jessie McKay. My mother is now 94 and can't help.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Were John and Jessie married in Elgin in 1911 ?
John Ross / Jessie MACKAY.

If so I think Jessie died in 1936 , born c1881 , Aberdeen Royal Infirmary  :-\
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Scotlandspeople has 45 ROSS female births in Elgin between 1911 and 1930.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them. John Ross was a farmer at Lochipots, Miltonduff and Simon was born 10.6.1913. He had two sisters that I'm trying to find - the one my mother called 'Siss' who might have been Jessie and the other I don't know the name of. I assume they were born at Miltonduff round about 1913.

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jessie Helen MacKay
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Jessie Helen MacKay was born in Moray 6.3.1881 (I also have her date of death) and married John Ross on 24.5.1911. She had a son in 1906, John MacKay, no father found. Also a son Simon Peter Alexander Ross in 1913 and two daughters. One was known as 'Siss' and might have been Jessie after her mother, name of other daughter unknown. Any more information would be welcome.