Author Topic: Mess uniform  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mess uniform
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
I recently aquired an old British mess jacket but unfortunately all identification badges and buttons have been removed. Does anyone recognise what regiment it belongs to ? It's a pretty standard red with black (dark navy)collar and cuffs and the red epaulettes have gold braid on the edges and there are 2 button holes for a button chain. Thanks Alan
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mess uniform
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 16 15:52 BST (UK) »
Do you mean it fastens at the neck with a stand up collar? That is more likely cavalry. There is a lot of variation.

You could browse the website of a millitary tailor such as http://www.goodallstailors.co.uk/regiments.html
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter but it's the other type of uniform similar to the engineers. The link was usefull but unfortunately didn't spot my jacket. ALAN
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 August 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
I recently aquired an old British mess jacket but unfortunately all identification badges and buttons have been removed. Does anyone recognise what regiment it belongs to ? It's a pretty standard red with black (dark navy)collar and cuffs and the red epaulettes have gold braid on the edges and there are 2 button holes for a button chain. Thanks Alan
   Is there a manufacturers  label   with chest size  etc  fastened  to the inside of it still?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
    Do you think it is an officers jacket   OR   Sergeants/ WO
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
    Do you think it is an officers jacket   OR   Sergeants/ WO

If Alan knew what he was he wouldn't be asking here would he?  ::)

Alan, it may be worth you taking a photo of it and posting it here. I'm sure someone will be able to help you. ;)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 August 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
I'm away from home at the moment and when l posted, l'll put the photo's on when l get back. I actually contacted the tailor that made the jacket but they couldn't identify the jacket. ALAN

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 August 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
What was the date of manufacture, please?
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Having trouble, site not downloading photo's. There doesn't appear to be a date of manufacture visible but there is signs of sergeant stripes on the right arm. The tailor is; Costello & Robey. I'll have another try with the photo's tomorrow, I'm out for the evening now. Alan ;D