Author Topic: my nans sisters' family  (Read 2279 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
my nans sisters' family
« on: Friday 19 August 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
my nan was born in st.andrews scotland on the 23rd december 1911, her mother married my nans father on january 13th? thenn registered my nans birth on the 15th.january, her fathers name was george steele. son of elizabeth trail and adam steele they were married long enough for them to have another daughter called elizabeth but known as betty, could someone help me fin her records of when she died, married, children if any? etc etc. I would like to find out more about this part of my family tree, and see if we have any cousins on that line that are still alive. see if I can encourage them to get in contact and for them to find out about our side of the family.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: my nans sisters' family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcie,

It may help if you could provide your nan's mother's name who married George Steele.

It's very helpful when looking for deaths of married women in Scotland as they are registered on death by their maiden name as well as marital surname & can sometimes be identified by their own mother's maiden name.
This of course depends on the informant at the time of death.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
There are no Steel(e) births (male or female) registered St. Andrew's, Fife 1911 - 1912

Do you have the birth cert. for your nan (with her name) please ?

Annie

Added Searched a few yrs either side 1905 - 1920 & same result.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey for previous links.

From a previous post the info. is conflicting.

Post on here Reply #15: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=504328.9

"On my nans marriage for which I do have the cert, it states that her father was George Smith House Painter"

Now he is George Steele  ???

Annie 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 16 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcia,

Not sure why you have only posted the father's parentage here as it seems you're looking for your nan's sister.

Who were the parent's of your nan's mother?

Names rather than "nan" & "her mother" would help us as we can't tell anything without real names.

my nan was born in st.andrews scotland on the 23rd december 1911, her mother married my nans father on january 13th? thenn registered my nans birth on the 15th.january, her fathers name was george steele. son of elizabeth trail and adam steele they were married long enough for them to have another daughter called elizabeth but known as betty, could someone help me fin her records of when she died, married, children if any? etc etc. I would like to find out more about this part of my family tree, and see if we have any cousins on that line that are still alive. see if I can encourage them to get in contact and for them to find out about our side of the family.

I am not following whether George Steele or his parents had a daughter Elizabeth by the way it's worded?

Annie

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Marcie,
     Agree with Annie re: wording. Not clear when you ask for help to find "her" bmd records whether you mean your Nan's mother, your Nan or your Nan's sister Elizabeth (Betty).
     From an earlier thread, you know Elizabeth Trail Steele was born 1917 at St Giles District, Edinburgh City, Midlothian. Because this birth is less than 100yrs ago, for privacy reasons, you won't be able to view on-line. However, you can order the certificate if you don't want to wait another year or so. I think that would cost about £12.
     The following marriage and death found on Scotlandspeople might be worth a look.
     Marriage: Elizabeth Trail Steele, 1953 at Leith, Midlothian.
     Death: Elizabeth Trail Steele, 1987 at Leith, Midlothian aged 70 years.
     Marriage less than 75yrs ago & death less than 50yrs ago, so again, for privacy reason, these certificates are not available on-line & would have to be ordered. (Am I right saying they can be viewed at Register House, Edinburgh?) Either one should name Elizabeth's parents.

From an earlier thread, did you find the OPR Marriage for Peter Slight on ScotlandsPeople?
     SP has the same surname spelling as the transcription found on ? (can't remember which site!).
     Peter Sleigh & Euphan Black married 10th August 1751 at Inveresk, Midlothian.
     Also, Birth of son Peter. Note spelling variation.
     Peeter Sligh born 8th May 1757 at Inveresk, Midlothian. Parents: Peeter Sligh & Euphan Black.

Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
(Am I right saying they can be viewed at Register House, Edinburgh?)
Yes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Marcie,
     Agree with Annie re: wording. Not clear when you ask for help to find "her" bmd records whether you mean your Nan's mother, your Nan or your Nan's sister Elizabeth (Betty).
     From an earlier thread, you know Elizabeth Trail Steele was born 1917 at St Giles District, Edinburgh City, Midlothian. Because this birth is less than 100yrs ago, for privacy reasons, you won't be able to view on-line. However, you can order the certificate if you don't want to wait another year or so. I think that would cost about £12.
     The following marriage and death found on Scotlandspeople might be worth a look.
     Marriage: Elizabeth Trail Steele, 1953 at Leith, Midlothian.my nans sister betty or elozabeth steele
     Death: Elizabeth Trail Steele, 1987 at Leith, Midlothian aged 70 years.
     Marriage less than 75yrs ago & death less than 50yrs ago, so again, for privacy reason, these certificates are not available on-line & would have to be ordered. (Am I right saying they can be viewed at Register House, Edinburgh?) Either one should name Elizabeth's parents.

From an earlier thread, did you find the OPR Marriage for Peter Slight on ScotlandsPeople?
     SP has the same surname spelling as the transcription found on ? (can't remember which site!).
     Peter Sleigh & Euphan Black married 10th August 1751 at Inveresk, Midlothian.
     Also, Birth of son Peter. Note spelling variation.
     Peeter Sligh born 8th May 1757 at Inveresk, Midlothian. Parents: Peeter Sligh & Euphan Black.

Regards,     Dod.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet