Author Topic: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?  (Read 18271 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Son of John Hood bapt Gateshead 1st Oct 1786, any info please?
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 20:46 BST (UK) »
1781 Old Malton
James son of John Hood of Scarbro'

Has James's burial place been checked for an Headstone or MI records in Old Malton  C of E ( or Quaker) burial ground.

Old Malton (St. Mary's Priory) M.I.
No Hood listed in the index.
 ----------
Malton (St. Leonard's)
 ----------
St Michael's Church Malton M.I.
The Church has Memorials inside.
 ----------
Norton (near Malton) and St Peter's Church Interior.
No Hood listed in either index.

Also Hud / Hudd checked in all the above.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 08 May 24 21:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Mark

(I'll leave it now with this !! )

Picture forming - dates realistically fit after death of Elizabeth Hood (Spencer-Leppington ) 1775 to baptism of James Hood son of John mariner. 1781 Old Malton (George Hood birth approx 1786)
~~~~~~~~~
Fact:

Jane Hood Wife of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, 65 years burial Selby 1803   (but no other info on her ?(
 (WHY )

Scenario :

A Quaker marriage between 1775 to (Baptism of James Hood Old Malton 1781) 1781 of Jane ???? (burial wife of John Hood 1803 Selby) x John Hood ....................?

Fact:

1781 Old Malton
James Son of John Hood of Scarbro'

(George Hood born 1786 approx from his death age 60 in 1846 Selby)

and

Fact:

Some of George's children had Quaker wives. ?

Fact :

George Hood burial 1846 aged 60 none practicing Quaker but buried in Quaker burial ground Selby
   (WHY )

Dave

Hello Dave

I've asked the same questions too.

In my family a 1912 Churchyard burial was unbaptised and the Funeral was very restrictive. His twin Sister lived well into her 90s and there was also no headstone. Later the Burial Plan was claimed to be lost.

His Father, was a Butler for the Lord of the Manor and his Lordship couldn't get a change of heart.

The Gardener had the key to the church safe and showed me their Burial Register to confirm the burial and having family knowledge, I was therefore quite interested to find the following reference in the Burial Register against his entry in the right margin (see attachment).

Unbaptized.
Service used
that authorised
by the Diocesan.

So what his twin Sister told me (from her parents), didn't appear to be made up.
 ----------
Some earlier burials of non-baptised were held after dark or attendees having to wait outside the churchyard boundary during the burial according to a 19th Century newspaper report.

One family kicked up and their complaint got in the newspaper.
 ----------
Two of my wider Hood family at Selby had Wesleyan Methodist links.

In 1845 possibly George Hood, unbaptised, had previously requested to be buried in Selby, the Quakers knowing George Hood, offered a full funeral service, with the burial.

It is not unusual in Quaker Burial Registers to see "Not in Membership", so the Quakers were burying other non-members.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 09 May 24 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Keeping to basics

To be honest, the way you have searched for George Hood of Selby's beginnings deeply over many years, for or finding records that have survived (Much admiration of you in doing so - as most people would have given up) but its seems no records have survived on George to even hint of his life before 1812 in Selby unless he was adopted and renamed from his birth/baptised full first and surname which would explain why there is nothing in documentation on George after such research been done Also nothing in doc's on how he acquired his trade skills, (7 years apprenticeships usually needed for each trade) Cooper, Tanner and Brewer.

Indecently there was nothing found that survived in documentation after George Hood son of John
 Hood  baptism 1786 Gateshead, like a marriage, burial or a following life either. :-\

So its seems no records have to survived to proved anything only circumstantial documents suggesting Scarborough through Maudland Hood which brings in John Hood mariner post 1775 if he remarried again and if it was Jane (Maiden name ~ ? )Hood wife of John the mariner buried Selby 1803 or another lady and maybe more children.(One being George born abt 1786)

A Puzzle. ???

Dave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 09 May 24 11:20 BST (UK) »
The only really solid definite link to Maudland Hood of Selby, are via some Grubb Marriages (descended from the Sons, late 18th Century of Thomas Grub, Shoe & Bootmaker of Etton and Lockington, Yorks), when Evelyn Hood Marshall (a descendant of George Hood via his Son, John Hood of Selby, Tanner / Fellmonger) married Thomas Grubb in 1906 at Holme on Spalding Moor, Yorkshire.

Added:
One Son was Thomas Wilson Grubb born 1923 District of Goole, Yorkshire.

The Wilson surname (George Thomas Grubb and Margaret Ellen Wilson 1882) is from the Grubb side of the 1906 Marriage, Thomas Grubb and Evelyn Hood Marshall and they lived at Goole, Yorkshire, after their marriage.

Taken from my Tree diagram here ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804155.msg6623371#msg6623371

2nd Add:
Fifty years ago my Grandmother mentioned the Stephenson, Robinson and Robertson surnames. Thomas Stephenson married Jane Robenson 1832 (Jane Robinson bapt Arram 1806). Her parents John Robinson married Jane Brigham at North Cave. A marriage was given as Robertson but he signed the Marriage Register as Robinson.

Regarding the diagram, my Note 2 may be incorrect now.

But been over the diagram again, applying for a further Certificate and my family line link via Marriages to Maudland Hood and Charles Turner of Selby holds very good  :)

You can get rare coincidences, but with my line ending dead at Selby Yorkshire 1812 (1815 Marriage, George Hood and Sarah Russell at Selby, Yorkshire), a 1906 marriage into Maudland Hood's extended family (also from Selby), cannot totally be ignored.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Friday 10 May 24 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Down stream family connections through marriages are usually  a couple meeting by chance.

Evelyn Hood Marshall (a descendant of George Hood via his Son, John Hood of Selby, Tanner / Fellmonger) married Thomas Grubb descendant of Maudland (nee Hood) Turner in 1906 marriage .

Only connection of John Hood mariner died 1819 Selby of Scarborough to George Hood cooper 1812 of Wren lane Selby is the first meeting by chance a century later   of descendant couple  Evelyn Hood Marshall and Thomas Grubb married 1916

In my view !
-----------------------------------------------------
( In that drama " Woman of substance"   Emma Harte from being a maid for the rich Fairley family mill owners,  till Emma left them and built a wealthy empire herself, she hated the Fairley family later she acquired the Fairly family house from a gambling son losses and had the house pulled down brick by brick also the land grassed over as a park for local folk.

About 50 years later Emma gathered her family to reveal the contents of her Will before she died
 - her granddaughter engaged boyfriend surname was a  Fairley family descendant - Emma's family thought she would have excluded her granddaughter out of her Will knowing how much Emma hated the Fairley Family

Emma asked her granddaughter one question- Where did she meet her boyfriend - on a bus said the granddaughter - Emma said - Oh ! a chance meeting - she said and put her in her (Emma's) Will. )

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 16 May 24 08:27 BST (UK) »
Regarding, George Son of John Hood, baptised Gateshead 1786, this might be him in 1825.

Tyne Mercury, 15 November 1825
Charities.-The debtors of Newcastle return grateful thanks to George Hood, Esq. Sheriff, for 11.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 18 May 24 05:55 BST (UK) »
Regarding, George Son of John Hood, baptised Gateshead 1786, this might be him in 1825.

Charities.-The debtors of Newcastle return grateful thanks to George Hood, Esq. Sheriff, for 11.

Newcastle on Tyne area.

Maybe a first name mis-print see page 7 and page 8 in link below only Hood sheriff of Newcastle was John Lionel Hood in the 1800's

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Local_Historian_s_Table_Book/PE9BAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=george+hood+sheriff+of+newcastle&pg=PA8&printsec=frontcover

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Selby.

George's childhood schooling, then adolescent vocational education leading him into various businesses of a cooper, tanner and brewer trade each needing a long apprenticeship, George's ability or knowledge of running and build up a business. The only answer I can think of your George Hood was not a working skilled tradesman but a man of means by 1812 onwards buying into run down business and building them up as an administrator of the businesses.

George came from somewhere ? being educated, he needed a certain wealth to buy into businesses and that alone usually means there should be a paper trail of records by education (statute laws about education, on businesses and transfers of them or parish rules & regs of people living in them to start with ~ like taxes) behind him of his beginnings.

Doing a stint as the overseer of the poor for a time suggests he was well into the C of E parish religion.

Altogether George's life does not make sense unless he change his baptised/birth name  ???

George left his paper trail or footprint after 1812/1815 onwards in Selby ol'reight' ~~~~ lots of it.  ~ but not before ?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 18 May 24 17:01 BST (UK) »

The Council have

George Forster, Mayor.
John Lionel Hood, Sheriff.

So a possible newspaper misprint?

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/local-government/your-elected-representatives/lord-mayor-newcastle/lord-mayors-mayors-and-sheriffs

The Council does not list the Under-sheriffs.

I agree Dave, we needed a bit more detail in the paperwork and even Gibson's Bankruptcy file is missing.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 18 May 24 20:59 BST (UK) »
John Hood mariner widower husband of wife  Elizabeth who died 1775.

If he remarried post 1775 - Scenario question 1: did he marry a widow with a son George who took John Hood's surname.

Scenario question 2: Did he marry a single woman with an illegitimate son who took John Hood's surname.

Scenario question 3: John Hood married and had his own son George (No record of only the Gateshead baptism)
-----------

These are real thing years in  happenings in (underlined)that can't be ignore  :-\

Jane Hood burial wife of John Hood mariner 1803 burial Selby ( actual factual event with no other before death info) could be mother of George

Elizabeth Leppington Hood John's first wife died 1775 Scarborough.

George Hood son of John  Baptism 1786 Gateshead  ( actual factual event with no other after life or death info)

George Hood turns up in Wren lane Copper business Selby 1812