Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 119885 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #594 on: Friday 02 November 18 00:29 GMT (UK) »
The premises of John (Mr) Hood (1789) seem to have later reference to those of A. (Esq) Hood in the 1811 Gateshead Land Tax.

Where it says reps (representatives) of A. Hood Esq., in the 1811 Gateshead Land Tax (last post), it was possibly this chap ...

Hull Advertiser, 4th August 1810
On Tuesday fe'nnight, aged 52 Anthony Hood Esq. one of the Aldermen and deputy Lieutenants of the town and county of Newcastle, and Lieut. Col. of the Loyal Newcastle Associated Volunteer Infantry.

Vessels
A couple of vessels appear in adverts linked to Anthony Hood:-
the Astrea (1782) Mr John Renwick, Master. Anthony Hood and Lionel Robson, Newcastle and
the Rochester (1791) Anthony Hood, Newcastle.

Ropery of Stoddart and Hood, South Shore, June 1797
The Ropery of Stoddart and Hood, will in future be carried on under that of Anthony Hood and Co.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #595 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Baptism

John Hood son of John Hood 12 December 1745

GATESHEAD, DURHAM, ENGLAND

Burial 31st Dec 1800

John Hood age 55 (birth 1745) a Shoemaker abode Blue Quarries entry Heyworth Chapelry

There is a map on this original post showing Heworth was next to Gateshead.

Hello

If that John Hood, Shoemaker, buried Gateshead December 1800 was George Hood's Dad in the 1st October 1786 Gateshead Baptism.

Another relative might move to Gateshead to keep an eye on young George Hood (assuming George Hood hadn't died) and to deal with house, shoe business and move belongings.

----------

I see a Jabez Hood was baptised Gateshead in 1799 to a Robert Hood and Mary. (The only other was a Sarah Hood baptised to Francis Hood 1792). A nuisance when only the Fathers were given at Baptism.

There is a Robert Hood with premises called the Sun moving from the Sandhill to the Beehive, Close, Newcastle 1801 (newspaper). According to another newspaper Robert Hood dies 1812 and then a challenge in the Court of Chancery. An Edward Hammond was appointed in 1816 and E. Hammond was occupying the Beehive premises in 1817 when a theft occurred there. (See also, Hammond v. Hood report in the Tyne Mercury newspaper 13th March 1827)

Oh I don't know now about the above suggestion in this post, it looks like Jabez Hood was linked to Stoddart in the case.

Stoddart and Anthony Hood mentioned above, so perhaps Robert Hood is related, or is not related to John Hood, Shoemaker buried Gateshead December 1800?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Jabez%20Hood&_dss=range&_sd=1799&_ed=1860&_ro=any&_st=adv

----------

There might be two separate Hood families at Gateshead?

Heworth was next to Gateshead, going off to check Hoods there.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: Sunday 04 November 18 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Baptism

John Hood son of John Hood 12 December 1745

GATESHEAD, DURHAM, ENGLAND

Burial 31st Dec 1800

John Hood age 55 (birth 1745) a Shoemaker abode Blue Quarries entry Heyworth Chapelry

There is a map on this original post showing Heworth was next to Gateshead.

Hello

If that John Hood, Shoemaker, buried Gateshead December 1800 was George Hood's Dad in the 1st October 1786 Gateshead Baptism.

Another relative might move to Gateshead to keep an eye on young George Hood (assuming George Hood hadn't died) and to deal with house, shoe business and move belongings.

----------

I see a Jabez Hood was baptised Gateshead in 1799 to a Robert Hood and Mary. (The only other was a Sarah Hood baptised to Francis Hood 1792). A nuisance when only the Fathers were given at Baptism.

There is a Robert Hood with premises called the Sun moving from the Sandhill to the Beehive, Close, Newcastle 1801 (newspaper). According to another newspaper Robert Hood dies 1812 and then a challenge in the Court of Chancery. An Edward Hammond was appointed in 1816 and E. Hammond was occupying the Beehive premises in 1817 when a theft occurred there. (See also, Hammond v. Hood report in the Tyne Mercury newspaper 13th March 1827)

Oh I don't know now about the above suggestion in this post, it looks like Jabez Hood was linked to Stoddart in the case.

Stoddart and Anthony Hood mentioned above, so perhaps Robert Hood is related, or is not related to John Hood, Shoemaker buried Gateshead December 1800?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Jabez%20Hood&_dss=range&_sd=1799&_ed=1860&_ro=any&_st=adv

----------

There might be two separate Hood families at Gateshead?

Heworth was next to Gateshead, going off to check Hoods there.

Mark

Hi Mark,

What is there as hard fact!

George Hood Selby himself as a trade had no connection to the sea in his working life'

Gateshead has a father and son baptisms and a fathers death age to link to his baptism
------------------------------------

A possible father John Hood bapt 1744 Gateshead

A  George Hood baptism son of John hood 1786 Gateshead (after life unaccounted in researching this George)

A land tax entry 1789 of a John Hood in Gateshead

A death 1800 of John Hood shoemaker (worked with leather)  aged 55 = born 1745 ish

George Hood of Selby a tanner, brewer & cooper as business trades (worked with leather) 

Richard Gibson (who's father was from Tyneside) was advertising in national newspapers for a skilled Cooper 1800 (  Question ? - did Gibson take on an apprentice instead.)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm

The Ale-house Licences and local Muster Rolls of vessels (Tyne & Wear Archive Catalogue) don't go back to the 18th Century.

Those surviving Muster Rolls seen at TNA covering Shields and Northern Ports don't mention a John Hood in 1779 to 1782, nor John Hood, Master of the Mary.

Can't find John Hood of the Ship or any Gateshead Public House, or John Hood the Shoemaker, nor John Hood, Mariner, of Newcastle / North Shields, in the newspaper, either.

The only John Hood, Mariner, was in November 1782, when a John Hood, brought the Mary of Inverness, to Newcastle to be sold (newspaper).

Thank you, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: Monday 05 November 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Its only a possibility but the John Hood the shoemaker and John Hood the Innkeeper at the ship inn are one of the same John Hood. It would explain the brewing and leather trades of George Hood of Selby and bearing in mind George's first appearance in Selby was at Gibson's cooper trade Wren Lane Selby

Richard Gibson went bankrupted 1807 -George Hood would be 21 years old (full age - ish) in 1807 coming out of an apprenticeship age (pointers Gibson could have trained George as a cooper from 1800 after John Hood the shoemaker died in 1800)

(Heworth -not to mix up with Hedworth but both locations are very close to each other)

St Alban's church graveyard looks intact at Heworth (Windy nook & Blue Quarries)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9424792,-1.5763011,3a,47.7y,274.22h,89.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBIXDaQRy1Dk4T_zQ7SsOSg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: Monday 05 November 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks dobfarm. I totally agree that some Publicans had second occupations or jobs.

This is the information, it still doesn't make sense with FindMyPast ??

Burials, South Shields District
Church: St. Paul
Denomination: Anglican
31 Dec 1800 John Hood, of Blue Quarries, age: 55, died 29 Dec, shoemaker, buried at Heworth

St Albans graveyard wasn't open in 1800 ??

How can Heworth be Jarrow ??

Mark

Family Search says ...
"Further transcripts for Heworth St Mary can be found in the Jarrow transcripts under DDR/EA/ PBT/2/152 for June 1768- March 1809."

"Heworth was a chapelry in Jarrow Parish, but is now a parish in its own right."

Still can't find this John Hood burial on FindMyPast  ???   ???

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #600 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have managed to download a BT image (FS) and the:-
Heworth, John Hood of Blue Quarries, Shoemaker, aged 55 burial in December 1800, was in the Parish of Jarrow, Chapelry of Heworth.

Under Heworth St Mary.

Anyone have the M.I. of the Headstones, please?

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Going by Google map streetview of St Alban's the gravestone style look much older than 1834- so took it for granted it was the Heworth chapelry. Though its say St Mary's was founded 1822 and get more complicated:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/Heworth

Extract from link

" "Heworth Church, St. Mary's, was probably founded by Ceolfrid, abbot of Monkwearmouth and Jarrow, within two years of the consecration of Jarrow Church, A.D. 684. The twenty-three coins of the realm of King Ecgfrid, found in this churchyard in the year 1812, prove this, as they were most likely dedication coins placed under the foundation-stone of the original church; and as King Ecgfrid was killed in 685, this was probably the year in which the foundation-stone was laid. From that time until 1214 no further mention is made of this church, but in a record of that year reference is made to "the lands of the chapel of Heworth," and since that time notices of it are frequent. It was rebuilt in 1684, and again in 1711, at which date it was considerably enlarged. The present edifice was erected on the same site in 1822, and is a fine cruciform structure of stone in the Early Decorated style, with nave, transepts, shallow chancel, and square tower at the west containing a clock. The living is a vicarage, valued at £280, in the gift of Lord Northbourne, and held by the Rev. James Steele."

[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894]

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »

A transcription of the burial is on FindMyPast using WOOD as a surname.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk