Author Topic: Northamptonshire: Samuel SWINDALL, born c1830  (Read 1566 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Northamptonshire: Samuel SWINDALL, born c1830
« on: Saturday 20 August 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Samuel SWINDALL was born c1830 in Northampton, the son of Samuel SWINDALL, an Auctioneer, who died in 1831, and Hannah SWINDALL (nee CHERRY).   His mother re-married, her new husband Thomas ROBINSON.   The 1841 Census confirms he is living in the parish of St. Giles with his elder brother, Charles, and mother, Hannah ROBINSON.   No other family members are mentioned.

Samuel SWINDALL was sentenced to transportation for 7 years on 16/10/1844 but this was commuted to 6 months (possibly 3 months, it is a little uncertain) in the following December.

I cannot find any further details for him, except for the possibilities he may have married twice, first in Oct/Nov/Dec.1871 and second in Apr/May/Jun 1881, but no confirmation.   

Can someone help please ??? ???

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Northamptonshire: Samuel SWINDALL, born c1830
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Been having a look round. I see that the 1841 Census actually says that neither Charles nor Samuel were born in Northamptonshire?

The 1871 marriage was for a Samuel Swindall son of William Herbert Swindall, unfortunately.

FindMyPast have several records about Samuel in their Crime section. There is also a document in the Northampton Prison Archives (NP/1/2) listing him as receiving a conditional pardon in 1844, presumably after he'd spent at least 3 months in Parkhurst, where he was transferred after Northampton Gaol.

The local papers have several references to both him and Charles as petty criminals in the 1840's. But I can find no record of him after 1846.

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
there is a tree on A******y - don't know how well sourced it is - may be worth checking out

It gives Samuel Swindall 1786-1832 occupation in 1815 Shoemaker  1822 lived in Auction House joined to Flying Horse 1830 lived Birmingham died 1831 Birmingham
married Hannah Cherry (1787-1842) married 8 April 1814 All Saints Northampton (Hannah remarried 1834 to Thomas Robinson
Children
Elizabeth Ann Swindall 1814 Northampton
Sarah Ann Swindall 1817 Northampton
Charles Swindall 1818 Derbyshire  died 1898 Northampton occ 1841 shoemaker) some of Charles'children b Worcestershire)
Ann Elizabeth Swindall 1823-1906
William Herbert Swindall 1827 London died 1905 Northampton (maybe the marriage found 1871 of Samuel Swindall was the the son of William Herbert?)
Samuel Swindall b.c.1830 -unfortunately no place given

It may be worth checking this ??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 August 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for trying to unravel the story behind Mr. SWINDALL.

What is peculiar is his Parkhurst Prison record in which he states his father, Samuel SWINDALL, is an Auctioneer in Northampton, as though he were alive.  The record was written in 1844 by which time his father had been dead 13 years and his mother had re-married ???

For now,

BAC3

Offline JAS18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 August 19 12:58 BST (UK) »
HI,

I know this is an old post but am hoping whomever asked the question is still on here?  I would love to know if you got any further with finding out what happened to Samuel born 1830?  I too have been researching him and cannot find what happened to him after 1845.  I would love to know what became of him. 

The Samuel Swindall you found marriages for was indeed the son of William Herbert Swindall and William Herbert Swindall was the brother of Samuel born 1830.  Charles was the eldest brother and I think Charles was perhaps born in Derbyshire 1818 (which I think may be where their Father, another Samuel the Auctioneer was born in 1786) and William was born in Bow, London 1827. Their father was in Cheapside, Birmingham in 1830 and died their in the January 1831 so my guess would be that perhaps Samuel was born in Birmingham 1830 but I cannot find a birth.  However, William Hertbert was not baptized until 1844 (in Northampton) so that is probably why I cannot find a birth for the others. 

It is intriguing that the records of Samuel's trial do state that his father seemed to be living in 1844 but I have found the death of his father in 1831 and newspaper articles that seem to confirm this.

Anyway, if you have found anything of what happened to the Parkhurst boy Samuel please do let me know.

Thankyou very much.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 August 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello JAS18,

Sadly, Samuel SWINDALL remains something of a mystery after 1845, although I have a fairly comprehensive narrative for him up to that date compiled at the time of my original posting on RootsChat.

I am more than happy to let you have a copy of my research.

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline JAS18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 August 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi BAC3

Thank you for replying so quickly, how frustrating for us all that he seems to have disappeared. I suppose we can only assume that he maybe ended up in the workhouse as his mother and stepfather I believe had already passed away by 1845.

Thank you so much for offering me all your findings that would be fab. 😊

Thanks

JAS18

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 August 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
JAS18,

I have sent you a Personal Message with my email address......we can then arrange to send you my narrative.

BAC3