Author Topic: COLLIGAN/GARDINER  (Read 1330 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COLLIGAN/GARDINER
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
HELLO EVERYONE, I AM NOT SURE WHERE IN SCOTLAND BUT I AM LOOKING FOR A MARRIAGE BETWEEN JOHN COLLIGAN AND HELEN/ELLEN GARDINER.........CIRCA 184O'S.........TRYING TO FIND WHEN AND WHERE MARRIED AND THEIR PARENTS NAMES ETC.   ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COLLIGAN/GARDINER
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi do you have them on census forms ? A few tree's have them both born in Ireland ...not having much luck finding a marriage ..But do see a few baptisms for their children in Old Monkland Lanarkshire .......A death certificate for John and Helen will give you the names of their parents
Rosie

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie, i have seen the trees and i am in contact with the owners.......no one has a death or marriage for them that is certified. john supposedly died 1874 in scotland, but not sure of this either.  his posstble parents, john colligan and margaret campbell....................something isnt gelling when i try to look up the censuses..............or i may just be getting old and confused.     

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Yes I am having a problem trying to from find them on census forms.. several trees have census form for one of the sons in 1861 but wrong parents  ???....
Rosie

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
yes Rosie, that is what i am finding.    cant be certain of parents........certificates may have to be sent for i think.......i couldnt find anything on sp either

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
plus my eye sight i very poor and i miss things easily, so i thought a fresh pair of eyes might help !!!

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
Will keep looking and hopefully find something
Rosie

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie and good luck.  i am still searching too !!

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
Your man John Colligan is a puzzle indeed. The John Colligan who died in 1874 was, indeed, married to a Helen Gardner. He died from injuries sustained falling down the stairs at the Greyhound Inn in Sorn, Ayrshire. His death cert records him as an ‘engine keeper.’

The same Helen Gardner died in 1884 in Holytown, Lanarkshire - her death cert records her as the widow of John Colligan, ‘engine keeper at coal pit’. Her death was registered by her son-in-law, William Knox, who married one Margaret Colvin (as she is consistently recorded) in 1865 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire - on her wedding cert, her parents are John Colvin (sic), ‘engine keeper at colliery’ and Helen Gardner. This Margaret Colvin/Colligan is too young to be the Margaret Colligan born to John Colligan and Helen Gardiner in 1839 - she’s 18 on her wedding cert, so must have been born around 1847 - perhaps the earlier Margaret died?

I think I may have found Helen Coligan (sic) in 1881 in Holytown, Lanarkshire - she is a widow and green grocer - living with her is her granddaughter, Elizabeth Knox - the daughter of William Knox and Margaret Colvin (sic):

Helen Coligan, head, 68, Shotts, Lanarkshire
John Cooper, nephew, 25, Bothwell, Lanarkshire
Elisabeth Knox, grand daughter, 9, Bothwell, Lanarkshire

And possibly the family again in 1871 in Hamilton, Lanarkshire:

John Colligan, 51, Dumbartonshire (it’s been transcribed as ‘Camprie, cumberlandshire’ by Ancestry - but looking at the original, it’s almost certainly Campsie, Dumbartonshire), coal miner [his age here ties with the age of 'approx 55' given on the death cert of the John Colligan who died in Sorn in 1874)
Ellen Colligan, 58, wife, Shotts, Lanark
Jean Higgings, 41, visitor, Ireland (looks like ‘travelling draper’)
John Colligan, 16, nephew, New Monkland, Lanark
Henry, Mcdonald, 11, visitor, Rinnamill (sic), Lanark
Ellen Colligan, 5, granddaughter, Rothwell (sic) - probably Bothwell, Lanark

Haven’t yet succeeded in tracking down any of the relatives mentioned in the 1871 census entry to see if it really is the same family. And also can’t find them anywhere before 1871, using any variation of Colligan/Coligan/Coligen/Colvin… etc…

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.