Author Topic: Various issues re Hood family.  (Read 2804 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Various issues re Hood family.
« on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, please bare with me as I outline known facts.
1.Julia Hood dau of Joseph Hood and Catherine Spilsbury born 20.03.1830, appears on 1851 and 61 census. She marries Benedigt Neelson (occ- carpenter,widower aged 32, father Peter occ Stonemason) 10.07.1866 St Mary's Birmingham. Witnesses Edwin and Sarah Carter.
2. Sarah Carter nee' Hood bap 4.7.1833, parents same as Julia. Sarah marries Edwin Carter 31.7.1865 St Mary's Birmingham. They then go to USA in 1870 and appear on 1880/1890 census. Edwin dies 1891. Sarah then appears on 1900 and 1910 census and dies in 1917. In the 1880 census she has "allegedly" a daughter Emma Hood aged 20 = c1860. It transpires from the will of Emma (Bettmann) in 1916 she is the daughter of Julia Hood and Sarah is her maternal aunt.
3. Julia Neelson has a son Arthur Bendigt Neelson june q 1868 Swansea.
4. Julia Neelson dies aged 40 march q 1870.

Can folk help in trying to find Arthur and his father in 1871 or later. Also cannot find a birth of an Emma Hood c 1860 with mother Julia. I have one birth cert registered in Wolverhampton 1860 but the mother is Jane with no father recorded. Her address at the time is Market St. Cannot find them on 1861 census.

Thanks

John

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Various issues re Hood family.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry correction. Emma dies in 1917 and her Aunt Sarah acts an an executor and records she is Emma's maternal aunt. Sarah dies 1923.

John

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
The lack of a father's name on a birth certificate usually indicates an illegitimate birth.

Unless the father is named on a baptism record, you will probably never know who he was?
He could be named on the marriage certificate, but many people "invented" a father for that! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
Why do you think the mother is Julia?
Sarah and Julia had brothers Joseph and William who could have fathered a child by 1860 and sisters Emma and Jane.
Any of these relations would make Sarah the maternal aunt.

Emma' death in 1917 records her age as 52 , born 1865. 

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi John, is your 1870 a type o?

March quarter 1871
Julia Neelson 40 Birmingham 6d 64

I looked up the origins of the name Benedigt and it appears to be Norwegian. If he was born there he may have gone home, taking his son with him.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar, sorry it was a typo.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 16 06:29 BST (UK) »
Took a look at the will on an---try, Kings County Surrogate Court, New York. It just leaves everything to her aunt Sarah Carter after payment of any debts. Value less than $300.00
There is no mention that Julia is her mother.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Took a look at the will on an---try, Kings County Surrogate Court, New York. It just leaves everything to her aunt Sarah Carter after payment of any debts. Value less than $300.00
There is no mention that Julia is her mother.

Hello John

The above is an interesting lead, because at the 1866 Marriage, there is an Edwin Carter and Sarah Carter present, as witnesses. [Added, the above quote wording suggests it might be a daughter's Will?]

1866 Benedigt Neelson & Julia Hood, Marriage Certificate, Warwickshire, England, [St Mary, Birmingham], incorrectly indexed on Anc under surname Hulson!!

1866 Marriage
Julia Hood, gives her age as 34 yrs, so the 1871 Julia Neelson, death, is probably her?

Also between 1820 to 1957 and 1820 to 1963 Passenger Lists, there is a "B. Neelson" U.S. Arriving.

Sorry, I can't confirm passengers arrival year date or see image, I don't have World Membership.

I had intended to post this reply here (I searched and got this related thread also by John Hood)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868377.msg7391151#msg7391151

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Edwin and Sarah Carter, present at the 1866 Benedigt Neelson and Julia Hood, Marriage, St Mary, Birmingham, Warwickshire (previous reply), Edwin Carter had married Sarah Hood 31st July 1865 at St Mary, Birmingham and Sarah's Father was also Joseph Hood, a Brass / Iron Founder.

Added: I have just noticed in your initial post in this thread that you are already aware of the Carter link.

Mark