Author Topic: Does 'Darlston' refer to Darlaston in Staffordshire?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Does 'Darlston' refer to Darlaston in Staffordshire?
« on: Wednesday 24 August 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have a baptism of Joshua(h) Johnson at Royston (near Barnsley) in Yorkshire, the son of John Johnson. The baptism took place on 25 Jan 1673. It says on the baptism image on FindMyPast that John is of 'Darlston'. My first thought was that this referred to Darlaston in Staffordshire (now in the West Midlands), but I have to bear in mind that Joshua married in Darfield and lived in Darton (quite near to Barnsley) all his life, and everyone from there down in the tree lived in Yorkshire - so if it does refer to Staffordshire then this would have been the point that they moved up to Yorkshire.

I've attached the image of the baptism anyway (with the baptisms before and after for letter comparing) in case I have misread it (afterall I'm not an expert on deciphering letters). I'm thinking that it is more likely to refer to somewhere in the local area (especially since there's another entry further up the page of an unrelated person from 'Darlston'), but so far I haven't found anything.

Many thanks for any help,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Does 'Darlston' refer to Darlaston in Staffordshire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, "of" usually means the place where they are living at the time of the event being recorded and not where they were from originally

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
I read it as Darleton, but not sure of the capital D.

Mike

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
Which church is shown for this marriage please?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 15:40 BST (UK) »
I also looked for Darleton, no luck there either :-/

This is a baptism record - the record on FindMyPast didn't name the church, just that it was in Royston.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 18:36 BST (UK) »
I wonder if 'Darleton' could refer to Darton?
Royston (where the baptism took place) is only a few miles from Darton, and Joshua died in Darton in 1755.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Try looking at other baptisms at that same church around the same time just to see if that parish comes up again and is clearer.

If it does come up again you would think it was the place nearest to that parish church.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 19:45 BST (UK) »
Just had a look around Royston - there's a place very near by called Carleton - could possibly be this one.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Im no expert either, but if the name on the top line is Denton then I don't think the town we are trying to decifer begins with a D.

Could be Carleton (Carlton) - about 1 mile away from Royston, perhaps?

Oops, you beat me to it - sorry
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.