Author Topic: Trouble reading will  (Read 489 times)

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
Trouble reading will
« on: Tuesday 30 August 16 02:00 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble reading my great great great great grandfathers will. It starts at the bottom of the first and ends towards the bottom of the second picture.

Thank you!
Murphy, Coughlin, Sullivan, Dyer, Munnelly, McDonald, Kelly, Gardinier

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble reading will
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 02:04 BST (UK) »
What parts of it can't you read?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 03:58 BST (UK) »
Mostly page two. I understand some things like the property becoming the property of Thomas after the death of Johanna and something about rods of land given to his son John and Thomas. I can read a lot of the words but I lose a lot of them too. I am not so familiar with the legal jargon used.
Murphy, Coughlin, Sullivan, Dyer, Munnelly, McDonald, Kelly, Gardinier

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 04:46 BST (UK) »
Here is the first bequeath

He bequeaths to his wife, Johanna "my farm of land" known as westerly half of lot seventeen located in Salmon Beach in the parish of Bathhurst county of Gloucester for "term of her natural life" At her death the property goes to his son Thomas.
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 05:05 BST (UK) »
He bequeaths to his son Thomas twenty three? rods of land on westerly part of lot 17 and his son John gets seven rods of land on the eastern side of lot 17.

(note there seems to be too many western sides to this lot, this may be a copy error by the person who transcribed the original will)
The will was written on 29 Jan 1864 and was probated 4 April 1865. Denis Murphy would have died between those dates.
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797