Author Topic: Tebbett  (Read 588 times)

Offline tiawooster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Tebbett
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
Morning
I am trying to trace the grave of Catherine Tebbett died between 1834 and 1838. She gave birth to her son Thomas born 1834 in Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, her husband was with another woman by 1838. Myself and other family members unable to find record of death in Scotland or England.

Mary
Alley, Nottingham, Wandsworth, London
Brookes,  Sneinton, LondonNottinhamshire, Leicestershire
Cochrane, Glasgow, London
Caley, Durham, Yorkshire
Schofield, London, Hampshire
Solomon, London, Portsmouth
Williams Mary Ann, Middlesex
Twelftree
Bramley, Loughorough,  Leicestershire, Ireland, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Tebbett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Very likely there may not be a death or burial record to found for her. Official registration only started from 1855. Before this you are reliant on Old Parish Registers records (for established Church of Scotland). Other religions, such as Roman Catholic, have other registers too.

Deaths and burials unfortunately were the worst maintained of this period. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&1353

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary:
I have a book of pre-1855 MIs for "Kilmarnock & Loudon" district, and ther is only one Tebbett listed in it. In Kilmaurs Churchyard on the MI for a John Wilson there is included a Ma--- Tebbett, wife of a John Wilson from Busbie, who died in 1862 age 54.

Not much help, I'm afraid  -  but there it is.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
Mary:
Another thought; in Scotland, not everyone who is buried in a cemetery/churchyard has a stone, or is mentioned on one. Conversely, not everyone mentioned on a stone is actually buried there - the "family" stone is used as a memorial. I suggest you contact the body that administers cemeteries in that part of Ayrshire and ask whether they have any record of a Catherine Tebbett. This would appear to be the email:
   bereavementservices@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk