Author Topic: WW1 nurses  (Read 1097 times)

Offline tjkap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 nurses
« on: Wednesday 31 August 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does the CWGC maintain graves of nurses killed in WW1?  Or is there a register of them?

Tim

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 nurses
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
A snippet from the National Archives website

Nursing service records (1902-1922)

Search and download service records (WO 399) for nurses who served in the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service (QAINMS), the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service (Reserve) QAIMNS(R) and the Territorial Force Nursing Service (TFNS) on our website (£).

Or this website might be of interest:-

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/2.html

Don't be put off by the name!  It is about nurses.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 16 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does the CWGC maintain graves of nurses killed in WW1?  Or is there a register of them?

Tim
     Check on the www.cwgc.org   web site,   but I feel sure that the answer will be yes.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline tjkap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 September 16 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Scarletfinders was a most interesting read.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Tim
     Check on the www.cwgc.org   web site,   but I feel sure that the answer will be yes.
The answer is yes and no. Nurses are commemorated by the CWGC as long as they were working for one of a specific set of organisations. So British nurses working for the French Red Cross or the Serbian Relief Fund or any number of other organisations are not commemorated.

The national memorial to them in York Minster does not have such limitations.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Tim
The answer is yes and no. Nurses are commemorated by the CWGC as long as they were working for one of a specific set of organisations. So British nurses working for the French Red Cross or the Serbian Relief Fund or any number of other organisations are not commemorated.

The national memorial to them in York Minster does not have such limitations.

I just looked and there names on the CWGC register for members of "Scottish Women's Hospital" which is presumably Scottish Women's Hospital for Foreign Services - I notice Louisa Jordon is listed.  Sure there are more who died but perhaps from disease rather than enemy action, several websites about them.

I am just about to add the names on the York Minster QAIMNS memorial to the IWM WMR, can someone tell me where it is inside the Minster in case I cannot find the location.

By the way, there have been a lot of threads on the Great War Forum about nurses and other women in WWI.

Don't forget the VAD's, I think records on them can be patchy.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
And, there were nurses from the overseas Dominions.  All were British Subjects.  Around 3000 from Australia, and I expect NZ and Canada and South Africa ....  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
Elsie Inglis the remarkable Edinburgh woman who founded the Scottish Womens Hospitals, their services were snubbed by the usual Whitehall blimps so she offered to treat the wounded of France, Belgium, Serbia, Greece & Russia etc'. Louisa Jordan from Maryhill was one of her nurses. Hopefully the temporary Covid hospital on the Clyde, named after her, will never be needed!

https://www.scotland.org/features/elsie-inglis-the-war-heroine-who-refused-to-go-home-and-sit-still

Skoosh.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
I found the location of the QAIMNS in York Minster, some of the information online is ambiguous. There is one photo (that I can find) of the QAIMNS panel, there could be some on other sites but you have to sign up to PINTEREST to view them.
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera