Author Topic: Bigamy  (Read 1385 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bigamy
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 September 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Evidence is from "The History of Tooting-Graveney-Surrey" Book of Examinations. Refers to Rebecca seeking assistance from the parish as her husband Henry has gone away and is found to be a bigamist. Rebecca and Henry were married in London in 1788 but if it is the same Henry Otway then he was already married. I am looking to verify that my Henry is the same person, as yet I don't know his birth year or place but there is a Henry Otway b.1762 Ashstead, Surrey that may fit.

Offline skippy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 September 16 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have just found a bigamist marriage for one of my ancestors in 1915.but for the female.
The couple married in 1909 in Glasgow, the husband went off to war in 1914 and the woman in question married again in 1915 in Glasgow, she was found out and went before sheriff and was sentenced to 6 months in prison, leaving a small child which her mother looked after.
I have not been able to find the bigamous marriage on Scotlandspeople and there is no RCE on her 1st marriage certificate .
I am just assuming that when her 1st husband went off to war she thought she may never see him again, and already had lost 2 babies, she just wanted to find some happiness.
I have contacted the Mitchell library to ask about marriage certs for bigamous marriages and just waiting for them to get back to me.

All the information was found just by chance when I looked at the 1st husband's service records.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 September 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
My bigamist ancestor married for the fist time in 1860, and left the village, leaving her two illegitimate children with her parents.  She then married again in a different village, after Husband No 1 went home to live with his mother.  She married once more in 1892.  I found it hugely embarrassing when a descendant of Husband No 2 contacted me on Ancestry and asked me what was going on.  I felt as though I was being held personally responsible for her behaviour  ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk