Author Topic: Addison Street Bootle Catholic Church 1914-8 Records  (Read 2133 times)

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Lucy Reid (1918- 1993) My Mum
    • View Profile
Addison Street Bootle Catholic Church 1914-8 Records
« on: Tuesday 06 September 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thinking of going up to Liverpool to do some research.

I want to look up the baptismal certificates for my aunt and mother. My Aunt Mary was born in Sept 1914  and my mum, Lucy in July 1918. Parents John and Lucy Reid( nee O'Donoghue). I am interested to discover names of Godparents. Address- Addison Street

I believe there are some records in Crosby Library; can anyone suggest which parish would be nearest and therefore a good place to start searching. Are copies of records held in the city centre?

Pritchard- Middlesex, Colchester Aldridge Parkins - Buckinghamshire
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Crowley - Dublin Reid - Dublin  O'Donoghue -Limerick and Dublin  Quincy/ De Quincey/ McQuincey - Limerick

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Addison Street Bootle Catholic Church 1914-8 Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Liverpool Record Office probably won't have the Bootle RC records you are looking for so the advice given to go to Crosby sounds good to me. Here is a Genuki page below that has Bootle RC churches. St Alexander in St John's Road was bombed in WW2 and records lost so you can exclude that one. The nearest looks like St James on Chestnut Grove. You could contact Crosby Library prior to visiting to ask about what Bootle RC baptism records they have available there:-

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Bootle

https://www.sefton.gov.uk/schools-learning/libraries/your-local-library/crosby-library.aspx

Blue

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Blue
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Crowley - Dublin Reid - Dublin  O'Donoghue -Limerick and Dublin  Quincy/ De Quincey/ McQuincey - Limerick

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:11 BST (UK) »
You could also message Liverpool Record Office to see if they have any Bootle RC records:-

https://liverpool.gov.uk/contact-us/service-area/liverpool-record-office/

Blue

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:45 BST (UK) »
I will.

Keen to discover if there were family members in Liverpool when my grandparents came over :)
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Any original Bootle RC registers that have been lodged are held at Liverpool Archives some of which have been filmed. Crosby has some filmed copies of some of the registers. You need to check what they have first before visiting. St Alexander's was destroyed by bombing in WW2 and no registers survive.

Offline lancaster.jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, Catiesmum,

You ask about the baptismal records for a Catholic church near Addison Street Bootle.

The Catholic Directory for 1915 (“The Catholic Directory, 1915” Anon. 75th Edition.  Pub. by Burns and Oates, London, 1915)  lists three Catholic churches in Bootle -

St Alexander
St Elizabeth, Litherland
St James.

The best source of information about Catholic registers for missions (parishes) established before 1880 is -

"Catholic Missions and Registers 1700 - 1880, Volume 5, North West England" compiled and published by M. Gandy, 2nd Edition, 1998 (ISBN 0 9528879 2 4).

This has for St Alexander -

"St Alexander (founded 1862) known as St John the Evangelist to 1866. The original church was destroyed in the Blitz in May 1941 and all registers lost. Re-opened 1957 and closed due to population shift in August 1991."
[endquote]

For St James, it has -

Bootle, St. James (founded 1845) ... Known as Seaforth 1865-1866, Known as Linacre 1871-1874.
orig reg: B 1845+, M 1855+, Conf 1852+, DBur 1877+ (Registers to 1950 at Bootle Library, ... Other PP).
[endquote]

I understand that the registers of this church that were at Bootle Library are now at Crosby Library, Crosby Road North, Waterloo  L22 0LQ.

The catalogue of the Liverpool Archives and Local History (https://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/archives-family-history/ ) does not have an obvious reference to the registers of this church.  The only entry that MIGHT apply is -

282 JMB - St. James Roman Catholic Church, Bootle

Ref No   282 JMB
Title   St. James Roman Catholic Church, Bootle
Date   1845-1964
Level   Collection
Access_Conditions   Available on microfilm only
[endquote]

Gandy does not list St Elizabeth, Litherland, and this is because it was founded in 1904, so if you thought this church could be the baptismal church the you would need to write to -

The Parish Priest
St Elizabeth of Hungary Presbytery
Webster Street,
Litherland      L21 8JH

Hope this helps,

Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Any original Bootle RC registers that have been lodged are held at Liverpool Archives some of which have been filmed. Crosby has some filmed copies of some of the registers. You need to check what they have first before visiting. St Alexander's was destroyed by bombing in WW2 and no registers survive.

Good info I know this poster from elsewhere  ;)

Blue

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
Gibel and Jim

Thank you for the added information it is very helpful.
Lots of places to check to ensure my trip is useful.

Caytiesmum

Seagar Saunders -Essex