Author Topic: Sarah Bury--dau of John Bury  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Bury--dau of John Bury
« on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,  To start would just like to say that a previous post searching for John Bury of Rochford has been resolved---He was born /bt at Upper Areley, 1789.  Could not be found at Worcester RO --but at Lichfield---as Upper Areley was historically in Staffordshire.!!
Anyway, a new problem--same family.  John's daughter, Sarah Bury.
In December 1842,  she married George Jones--also b Knighton--her father's name given as John Bury.  That she was the dau of John Bury of Upper Areley origin is confirmed by  George Jones being the informant at Registration of John's death in 1850.     
I cannot find Sarah Bury's  baptism.  She is given on all Census --except '41 of course--as being born Knighton - on Teme. Her birthyear varies through the Census' from 1816-to 1821, but I think 1816 is correct.  She--and George--are on all Census' up to / incl.1881.
George died 1883.  On 1891 Census, Sarah, widow, is given as only 70 yrs old, and working as a house servant--in Knighton. Think she probably clipped a few yrs off to get work.
  She does not appear on 1901 Census.   Her death then must have been between 1891 & 1901  Census'. I would like to get her Death Certificate--but--there are a lot of candidates on FreeBMD!  Identifying the correct Sarah Jones--is complicated by not knowing where she died.
 If at place of work, Knighton, the death should have been Registered at Tenbury.  Worc. in which case she would have been Reg with incorrect age(by employers.)
   However, she had 9 children, and being Jones--you can imagine what that means--and there are a LOT of Sarah Joneses--so it's not viable to order Certificates in the hope of getting the right one--too much risk involved!!   If she left her employment, and went to live with one of her children--no telling where she might have died--and searching death indexes, would not be easy--but probably in Worcestershire.
  If anyone knows of this Sarah Bury,/ Jones b 1816 Knighton on Teme  Worcestershire, where she was baptised , do please post here.
Ideas on how to identify correct Sarah Jones  death are most welcome too.
  Cheers,

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Bury--dau of John Bury
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hello
This looks like her parents marriage.
John Bury and Ann Price at Knighton on Teme 30.3.1814
They have
Mary Ann 29.1.1815 K on T
William 29.7.1817 Kon t
Ann 23.1.1820 K on T
James  Down up farm Broadway 7.7.1822?
Elizabeth 25.6.1826 Rochford
John 1.2.1829 Rochford.

Familysearch have marriages for Sarah and Elizabeth both at Rochford born 1820 and 1825 (Elizabeth's 1845 to John Cooper).
Is it possible that Ann baptised 1820 is your Sarah and that perhaps there is a mistranscription or that the Vicar got mixed up with the child's and mother's name?

She is alive up to 1911 when she appears in Rochford with daughter Ann Leddington ,the 1891 census gives her as born Rochford.Like you i can't see her on the 1901.

I'd go for her death at Tenbury age 96 Mar 1917 6c 154

Ciderdrinker

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
You have the correct marriage for Sarah's parents---30 March 1814.  See my post of 31 Dec 2015---searching for John Bury --where I listed the whole family AS THEN KNOWN!
I'm not at all certain that James, b Down Up Farm Broadway, 1822 is of this family. No indication--yet at least--that the family were ever in Broadway.---pity there was no 1831 Census!
Also discovered later was a Harriot Bury  b at Oswestry Workhouse--to John Bury and Ann Price 1831. She has been added in, but no other info on her yet.
  I don't think there is any name mix-up.  There are two marriages in 1842  Ann Bury, dau of John Bury to George Smith, in June qtr and Sarah dau of John Bury to George Jones, Dec qtr.  I am convinced Sarah changed her age to suit different situations, and that she was b 1816.   Even if she was b 1820---why no baptism to be found for that year either.? A twin of Ann? Possible--but no indication of that either.
Illegitimate--to another member of the family--and brought up by John and Ann? Again possible,--but no indication.
The 1881 C for William and Ann (Jones) Leddington is curious too! She is given as 65 yrs old--birthyear 1816!!   Born  Eastham, which is where she was baptised 1845!!  Enumerator error or what?  Confusion!  Ann married William Leddington--"Seddington" on FreeBMD--Mar qtr 1865.  She died 1933  William 1888.
 I'm still looking for a Sarah b about 1816.

Offline 77Robbie12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again, been some time but the only solution to Sarah Bury problem is that she was the daughter of John Bury's sister Mary--bapt  illeg in 1820.  No other explanation--John Bury was her uncle--not her father as stated at her marriage.   Cover up for the illegitimacy.