Author Topic: "Leeds Common"  (Read 1345 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
"Leeds Common"
« on: Tuesday 13 September 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have a relative on census that reports "Leeds Common" Yorkshire as POB. I have been unable to locate this place in Leeds. Thanks for insights.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Leeds Common"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
Are they consistent about that?
Where we're they living at census?
What's their name and the census ref?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
1841 & 1851 she was given as "Birmingham, WAR" same as her mother, i.e. Y in 1841.
Throughout her two marriages she consistently gave "Leeds Common, YKS" or in one case just "Leeds, YKS", i.e. 1861, 1871, 1881, (not found her in 1891) and latest 1901 "Leeds Common, YKS" a few years before she died in 1905. So very consistent, including county (in case LC was a place elsewhere, like Leeds Castle in Kent, for e.g.). She was born in 1822. Internet searches do not indicate such a place name and although I have her precise DOB from a family bible, no place is given and no baptism has ben found.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
what was her name -and married names ??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:38 BST (UK) »
Looking at the OS map of Leeds 1889/1890, no location found called Leeds Common.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Brian - Maps were my first port of call, hence looking for local knowledge on what this may be, if it is indeed Leeds, YKS.

Suz - You can find her with her widowed mother and illegitimate child David CARELESS on 1841 in B'ham St George as Sarah POPPLEWELL. In 1851 she is married to James POMEROY, in 1861 married to George DAWSON, and thence Sarah DAWSON until her death as Sarah Ann DAWSON in B'ham in 1905.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 04:06 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if there's is a possibility that the family were Travellers?
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 08:25 BST (UK) »
No evidence they were travellers, but mobile in career as artisans. Father was a cordwainer. Sarah's siblings were a gunsmith, an engine fitter and a beer retailer. All were registered in Birmingham in terms of baptism from 1812 to 1820 but two of her brothers recorded on B'ham baptisms as having been born in Heckmondwike, YKS (a POPPLEWELL area), so presumably the father's POB. Sarah changed her POB during her mother's lifetime, so it is reasonable to suppose B'ham was all she knew until being informed otherwise.

I was wondering if Leeds Common referred to the holding gaol prior to be sent to Wakefield assizes? Alternatively, "Leeds" is a misremembered corruption of a place near Heckmondwike / Birstall. Her mother was not from that area. As the holder of the POPPLEWELL One-Name study, I am better placed than most to find a link here, but matching records are either missing or not yet transcribed, and this place has me baffled despite knowing the area through research quite well. Local knowledge may identify the main "common" between Heckmondwike and Leeds town the NE, if it existed in 1822. Otherwise, I remain open to geographical suggestions in WRY.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
Well there is always Swillington Common, East of Leeds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swillington
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire