Author Topic: Help needed pls Cartwright, Enoch Henry (aka Henry & Harry) from Staffordshire  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed pls Cartwright, Enoch Henry (aka Henry & Harry) from Staffordshire
« on: Wednesday 21 September 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
I've reached a dead end in my search for my great-grandfather I am just not sure where to go so I am hoping that someone on here may be able to lend a helping hand or push me in the right direction, or is looking for this family line. 
I believe his birth name was Enoch Henry Cartwright.
I've found records for him in Australia > on his marriage certificate he is registered as Henry Cartwright (Born in Birmingham and his father is Henry Cartwright) married to Hannah BEAN (from Yorkshire)
On the births and deaths of his children through BDM NSW his surname is 'Cartwright' and his first name is recorded as  Henry, Harry and Enoch. 
He lived in Sydney but in two different records his place of birth is recorded as Birmingham and Staffordshire in UK.
Died at the age of 96 (we believe) in Auburn NSW in 1955 and apparently lived in the colony for 80 years. 
The Death Notice in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper (1955) states the name 'Enoch Henry Cartwright'.
I have searched all the ships and passenger lists for him but as I cannot confirm his birth, only assume the ages of passengers do not match the information I have.  I have no idea of any other family except for a father known as Henry. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
Karen

These are the notices for CARTWRIGHT, Enoch Henry (Harry)
SMH, June 02, 1955 pg22
https://s14.postimg.org/qfrvdc475/image.jpg
https://s13.postimg.org/s7n33o953/image.jpg

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed pls Cartwright, Enoch Henry (aka Henry & Harry) from Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
Is there an age on his marriage certificate and what year was that?  Any occupation for his father?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed pls Cartwright, Enoch Henry (aka Henry & Harry) from Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Possible family in Wednesbury Staffordshire in 1861

Henry Cartwright 25 puddler
Emma 24
Thomas 3
Henry 2

That family is still in England in 1871 and by the sounds of it yours emigrated at a young age so probably not him.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
There is an Enoch Henry Cartwright registered June quarter 1887 Wolverhampton I will do a bit more checking and see if I can find a baptism

Ignore that one he was born 25.4.1887 baptised St Matthews 8.5.1887 parents William and Nelly

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there!  Thanks for your help.  Just trying to find the marriage certificate. 

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks you Milliepede and Willow 4873. 
I don't believe it!  I can't find his marriage certificate although these are the details below.

Name:
Henry Cartwright

Spouse Name:
 Hannah Bean   

Marriage Date:

Marriage Place:
New South Wales

Registration Place:
Granville, New South Wales

Registration Year:

Registration Number:

However, his daughter Eileen (my grandmother) although born in 1909 the birth was registered on 19th June 1911 (in NSW, Australia and her father is recorded as 'Henry' on the birth certificate; age 38 but may also be 35 (it is hand written so could be either) and it says born in Birmingham. 

I will source the marriage certificate for Enoch and Hannah if I can't find it.  (I thought I had it!)

Thanks again! 

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the one tree on Ancestry?

Says born 1859 Staffordshire father named as Henry William Over

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
That tree doesn't seem to be the right person.

It looks as though it refers to Henry Aubrey Cartwright who is in 1911 index.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
Yes the Cartwrights are the children of a different family altogether

Willow x