Author Topic: 1871 Census records Scotland Missing relative  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 Census records Scotland Missing relative
« on: Wednesday 28 September 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to give me advice on where to start searching for my great grandmother Rosina Fraser on the 1871 records. I have found her on the 1861 census when she was 10 and know of her whereabouts from 1881 onwards, but the 1871 census defeats me! She was a domestic servant and possibly lived around the Dalkeith area as she was married in the Church of Scotland there in 1875. I believe she was working for Douglas Maclagan - the eminent Scottish Surgeon who became Sir Douglas Maclagan.....and whom my grandfather was named for.  I have found their record at Heriot Place Edinburgh....but no sign of Rosina. Any ideas please?
Macdonalds / Mackay around Kingussie / Newtonmore /Laggan area.
Grant around Abernethy

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census records Scotland Missing relative
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this possible variant of her first name in the 1871 census  for the Midlothian area

Rosia FRASER  19, Gros ref 685/1 40/ 20, District St George, Midlothian

There is another Rosie Fraser but she is listed as aged 4.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
If it's an 1871 transcription, I think it likely she was down as Rosie rather than Rosia?

Annie

Added;

She is indeed on SP as Rosia!
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Once again Rootschat has helped me find a missing piece of the jigsaw. Thank you SO much for your posting.
I have now located Rosina – indeed as you say registered as Rosia (I should have guessed, but my searches came up with nothing remotely like her name)
I now think she lived at 9 Gardners Cres, in the St Cuthberts Parish of Edinburgh.....but the writing is hard to decipher if you are not familiar with the locality. I am going to Edinburgh next week, so this has come just in time to help me look for where she lived.
Thank you so much,

Birdbrain.
Grant around Abernethy

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
A little here on 9 Gardener's Crescent https://canmore.org.uk/site/151672/edinburgh-5-7-gardners-crescent

David Duthie, Rosana's employer in 1871, was an Advocate's Clerk as you can see in that entry. From the Post Office Directories in the 1870s, I think he shows as the Clerk of Lord James Adam, Lord Ordinary in Exchequer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_of_Exchequer_(Scotland)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica! Once again you come to my aid! You may recall it was you who introduced me to Robert (Macfarlane) when I was looking for George Macdonald, my gt. grandfather around 2010. Rosina Fraser was his second wife whom he married in 1875. I am grateful for finding out where she lived in 1871 -  long before she met him. I am intrigued to find out why they married at Dalkeith......George did not live there; by this time he was a Police Constable in the Grassmarket area of Edinburgh. So I had assumed (always wrong!) that she was working in the Dalkeith area to qualify for banns being read there. She might well have been by 1875, but I was told that she named my Grandfather Douglas Maclagan Macdonald after the surgeon Sir Douglas Maclagan whom she worked for. He resided at Heriot Row though....so why Dalkeith? I shall probably never know. Thanks again. A great website and another piece in the jigsaw.  :)
Grant around Abernethy

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Birdbrain  :)

Good to hear you are moving forward with this all. Always hard to guess what happens in those interim years between censuses, isn't it.

Is it banns that you are looking at in Dalkeith in 1875 or the actual marriage registration? If the registration, what address did Rosina give on the register? That might give you further clues.

Monica

Offline Birdbrain 1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
Attaching the details of George and Rosina's marriage at Dalkeith. I don't think my last post worked! I'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow so running out of time now. Don't know how to look for banns but as always, grateful for your help.
I was hoping to go and see the church at Dalkeith but I am reliably informed it is now a 'posh' furniture showroom!
Kind regards, Audrey.
Grant around Abernethy

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 September 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
Enjoy your time in Edinbugh, Audrey  :)

No address on the marriage registration for either George or Rosina, so we are still none the wiser why the marriage took place in the Dalkeith area.

Monica