Author Topic: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche  (Read 15595 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 05 November 16 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree.  :)

Here are Michael and Margaret Roche (parents of Bridget) in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Glanworth_West/Glanworth/414109/

He is still a Blacksmith and also a Wine and Spirits Merchant.
This seems feasable only name of father (according to poster) is incorrect.  These probably are the pub in Glanworth do you think?  You mentioned a Margaret Moran in a post - where did that name arise? There is a sister in law name spelt incorrectly on this census for Michael & Margaret Roche.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 05 November 16 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi ballydw,

I don't think that this family Michael, Margaret, Bridget, Patrick etc are necessarily the right family.
I was just trying to show that the two census entries you quoted are different groups.
There is:
1901  with Arthur as father and Bridget.
1911 with Bridget and siblings but that Bridget is the daughter of Michael.

I have then shown the relevant censuses to support this.

The name Moran comes from that Bridget's birth registration where Geraldine couldn't read the surname. I then found a marriage for Michael Roche and Margaret Moran.

Personally, I think that lots of energy has gone into searching around these two Bridgets but there is no evidence to show that either is relevant to the search yet. :-\ caution is needed, especially as you have said Bridget gave her father as Arthur and a blacksmith.

I wonder have both church and civil marriages have been checked to make sure that there is no error there.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 05 November 16 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Heywood does the original poster have Bridgets Civil Birth Registration & Civil Marriage Reg?
I did see the Marriage For Michael Roche & Margaret Moran in 1876 & Birth for daughter Bridget 19th Dec 1883
From my own experience errors can occur in the Church records.  I was searching for my grandparents marriage no result until I rang the church in question & my grandfather was recorded with a different christian name.

The Roches in 1911 Michael & Margaret daughter Bridget are a likely match but as we know incorrect name for father according to posters info.

Ballydw

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
ballydw, I am the original poster. I have my grandmother's marriage cert civil and parish;this is the marriage cert for my g'parents who married in London in 1920.
Bridget Mary R's father is given as Arthur and profession is blacksmith.
In 1931 on an electoral register a 'Patrick Roche' appears at the same address as my grandmother in Ealing. However he doesn't appear on any more registers. He could be her brother or cousin.

Her birth is given as 13th Dec 1887 on the 1939 register, her death cert says she was born in 1888 approx.
That's all I know about her, I don't have a name for her mother or any siblings.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 05 November 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi geraldine,
Frustrating isn't it!

You mentioned Waterford and possibly Wexford too. Are these from family stories?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 05 November 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
If you search the Irish civil records for marriages/deaths for 'Arthur Roche' there are very few results and none of them match what you've posted.

It could be that Bridget was mistaken about her father's first name by the time she was married (especially if he'd died when she was young).

So, what is probably true is that Bridget Roche was born on or around 13 Dec.1887 in Ireland (does the 1939 register give a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland'?). Her father was probably a blacksmith (although might be listed under another occupation in records such as farmer) and he died before 1920.

So, there should be a birth registration for her and she should appear somewhere in 1901 and 1911 census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 05 November 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
The Waterford connection is hearsay, it's what 2 family members have told me. After my grandmother died my grandfather remarried and I think this has contributed to the family not remembering. We  were all very young when she died and not resident in England. Well; we never knew her at all.

My step grandmother's daughter (now in her 80's ) told me about a month ago that my g'mother Bridget M Roche was from Waterford. My older brother remembers my father saying she came from a rural setting. What you have found though is interesting, there are alot of blacksmiths in the Michael Roche familyand 2 forges; that's the 1901 census result; house no1 Boherash

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 05 November 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Census records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 05 November 16 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, unfortunately the 1939 census doesn't give any information about her Irish background, if only I could find the townland I could trace her. My options are running out.
I am starting to think that Bridget's father is not recorded as Arthur as you say. I have noticed that some Roches in the G Valuations have different names in brackets alongside the official name.

I appreciate everyone's hard work ; we may manage to solve the Roche connection in time; I'm sure there are hundreds of 'Roche' descendants struggling to locate their lineage just like me.. Geraldin96