Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 161374 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #1053 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
But a definite link to Sugar regarding William Wells Plaxton (alias Plaister) in partnership with George Dames at London (see theft case 1820s).

Considerable info regarding Plaxton and Dames families (connected by marriage), including will summaries for both, on Sugarbakers website ...
www.mawer.clara.net/sugarpp.html
www.mawer.clara.net/sugardd.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
But a definite link to Sugar regarding William Wells Plaxton (alias Plaister) in partnership with George Dames at London (see theft case 1820s).

Considerable info regarding Plaxton and Dames families (connected by marriage), including will summaries for both, on Sugarbakers website ...
www.mawer.clara.net/sugarpp.html
www.mawer.clara.net/sugardd.html

Hello Sugarbakers

Thank you for those lists, I thought there would be some more Wills.

I notice the words "Sugarhouse & Cooperage".

1. That suggests they would employ Coopers and would that mean making either Tubs etc., (White) Cooper, or a (Wet / Dry) Cooper who made Barrels etc., for liquids or cereals etc?

My mystery George Hood was a Cooper who appeared to take over the business (about 1811 -1812) of a former Bankrupt Richard Gibson of Selby, Yorkshire, Cooper, who got his Certificate of Conformity in 1810. The Commissioners Bankruptcy File was destroyed, so no help there. However, it was listed in the London Gazette and in the Commissioners Indexes at TNA, Kew. John James, Solicitor of 11 Gray's Inn Place acted.

Below from B 6/15 Certificates 1810 - 1811Volume (TNA, Kew); (B 4/28 Docket Book 1806 to 1808, Richard Gibson, Cooper, Selby, Co. York, "Docquet Struck 21st May" "Commission - 30 May 1807" is a Summary of the parties in the London Gazette, Notice).
"Richard Gibson of Little Britain London
late of Selby in the County of York
Cooper Dealer and Chapman. 6th April 1810
"

2. Regarding the WELLS PLAXTON & DAMES business, have you found any mention with Grenada?
 ----------
BANKS surname - General Note regarding my previous post.
I suggested a possible Banks to Banks link.

However, no link found so far between Banks on the left side (linked to John Banks born Selby 1795 later of Howden Hall & James Banks of Wressle Castle, Yorks, England) and the Robert / Edward Banks of Market Place, Howden on the right side of my diagram in my previous post.

Quite a few times now, I'm finding people of the same surname living in the same town 200 years ago and over, seem occasionally to be unrelated or coincidences.

Mark

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
There undoubtedly are more family wills for Plaxton & Dames, but I only summarize and add those of sugar refiners.

Regarding coopers - at that time raw sugar was shipped from WI in hogsheads. These were broken open to release the runny, sticky raw sugar at the start of the refining process. I assume, but can find nothing in writing, that the hogshead components were washed and cleaned for reuse, though whether they were assembled again or returned unassembled I don't know. Conical refined sugar loaves were packed into barrels for transporting - dry and wrapped in blue paper.
I've no reference to Richard Gibson cooper.

Regarding Grenada - general info, but nothing by name. Grenada was ceded to Britain in 1763 with 65 plantations and 71 sugar-works, production about 10,000 tons pa. Slaves on sugar properties numbered around 18,000, with a total of some 30,000 on the island. Production peaked in 1828 but quickly fell after emancipation (Deerr). I've no evidence of Dames/Plaxton plantations.

Regarding Banks - see Bankes/Banks on my database, though no connection to Yorkshire listed.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: Sunday 28 June 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sugarbakers for the information, Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: Saturday 18 July 20 07:22 BST (UK) »

My Grandmother mentioned Snaith and Beverley, also Stephenson and Robinson.

So I still remain hopeful!

Mark

Hello

My word, sometimes family folklore can be quite true (if the documentation survives and can ever be traced), that there was a Court Case regarding property and my late Grandmother mentioning to me about 50 years ago a Robinson family connection. Sadly, most of what she said to me has been forgotten.

3 Geo III
In the King's Court at Westminster with the Final Agreement dated in the Third Year of the Reign of George III, before Charles Pratt // Edward Clive Henry Bathhurst & Henry Gould Justices of the King.

Between John Robinson & John Norham Par[ty] and John Morfitt & Elizabeth his Wife George Burton & Alice his Wife & Thomas Burton & Elizabeth his Wife Deforciants.

Two Messuages, Two Cottages, Two acres of Land, Two Acres of Meadow Two acres of Pasture & common of pasture with the Appurts in Selby whereupon a Plea of Covenant was summoned between them in the same Court ...

So some of what I was told by my late Grandmother and family regarding a Case over property relates to my Burton of Selby ancestry.

Mark

Offline Geoff Hood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: Sunday 25 October 20 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Funny mentioning 'Richardsons, found registers of the family today in Great Ayton. I also came across a reference to a Hood family buying a home 'the White House' in the 1920's in Great Ayton. This home was rented out in the 1800's to Quaker families.

http://greatayton.wdfiles.com/local--files/individual-houses/White-House.pdf

This then led me to the registers of Great Ayton itself, which has all PR's, NC and Quaker BMDs.

http://greatayton.wikidot.com/parish-registers

The Hood family in the White House can be traced back to the Leonard and Mary Hood that have been touched upon before.

Claire

Thanks for trying Claire and dobfarm

Seems links were made with Leonard Hood to Hull.

Also found an 1813 reference to Thomas Cook living Great Ayton.

Regards Mark

i
I am Geoff Hood and i  new to this site but have seen references to ellerbeck in a few post, Oral family  history handed down is that ancestor Thomas Hood (Weaver) left ellerbeck due to a land dispute . i have Thomas hood  born 1780 osmothely died stanton 1816 ( hartlepool )with second wife Ann) trying to work out is this is Ann Clemit and his first wife was maraget Tyerman

Offline Geoff Hood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: Monday 26 October 20 18:48 GMT (UK) »
i also remember seeing a george Hood in i think malton monthly quaker records while seaching for clemit , dale and sedgefield, The record noted that he should not be admiited to the Friends ,assume because of his profffession ,though can now only find his buriel not the rejection

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »

I am Geoff Hood and i  new to this site but have seen references to ellerbeck in a few post, Oral family  history handed down is that ancestor Thomas Hood (Weaver) left ellerbeck due to a land dispute . i have Thomas hood  born 1780 osmothely died stanton 1816 ( hartlepool )with second wife Ann) trying to work out is this is Ann Clemit and his first wife was maraget Tyerman

Hello Geoff

Welcome to Rootschat

I have a few bits and pieces filling pockets in a large folder collected over the decades about unrelated Yorkshire Hoods.

We have been kicking about many HOODs to see who they may relate to (many ruled out and not related to my Hood line). Never assume they are related to my Hood line just because they are mentioned in postings together.

I presume you have already found Thomas Hood, 46, born Ellerbeck, in the 1851 Census with Wife Margaret, it seems to say Parish Cl and I have written at some point he was Parish Clerk.

Regarding Tyerman, you will be interested to know I have a marriage noted ...
24th November 1801 by Banns
William Bell and Mary Hood both of Ellerbeck in this Parish,
by me Rich'd Hodgson, Vicar
William Bell signed
Mary Hood X her mark
In the presence of:-
Benjamin Tyerman
Christopher Hood
 ----------
Do you mean 'Stranton', Hartlepool, when you say "Stanton"?
 ----------
Not sure if related, a Widow (seems to be born Redcar, Yorkshire) but in the Hartlepool Census
1851 Census Hartlepool
Wells Yard, Elizabeth Hood, Head, Widow, 66, Charwoman, born York, Redcar.
 ----------
Thank you for the undated George Hood Quaker reference, where did you find the document linking him to Malton?

Normally Quaker Minutes are usually found in Archives?

Mark

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: Thursday 29 October 20 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

William Bell and Mary Hood are my 5x grandparents

Lyn