Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162093 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 23:52 BST (UK) »

I'd go with stag

Cooke:  Argent, a bend azure, in chief an annulet gules. Crest: a stag trippant argent.

Foster: A cheveron between three bugle-horns. Crest: a stag passant.

Think my money would be on Cook(e)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Thursday 30 March 17 10:06 BST (UK) »

I'd go with stag

Cooke:  Argent, a bend azure, in chief an annulet gules. Crest: a stag trippant argent.

Foster: A cheveron between three bugle-horns. Crest: a stag passant.

Think my money would be on Cook(e)

Thank you.

Just read in Fairbairns that an antelope has the body of a stag and an antelope is of the deer kind, so a hind is close too.

Because the stamp has been applied at an angle twice revealing only the lower half of the body and the seal inside the Will defaced by being flattened, George has got us again!  ???

A check would also be required to see if there are any headless animals of that kind, but on the Will outer seal (edges broken away) the wax has not formed the top of the body, due to pressure on the stamp being at an angle.

On the cord there should be six alternate twists and we see six ovals.

If a genuine seal of a crest, I am very much reliant on finding a written record, it does not need to have passed from a previous generation either, but can be left in a Will, or granted and even belonging to another family name.

For example Henry Mitton of Snaith, took the Arms of Eadon ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1A1KAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=%22Henry+Mitton%22+%22Arms+of+Eadon%22&source=bl&ots=G9876h1ZHx&sig=KXCG6blOyjVymevda2iJj4JIqpc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPsY-W8f3SAhUkLsAKHempC2MQ6AEIGjAA

The origin of this seal could also have passed to George Hood's line 100s of years ago, although hopefully the line and/or George Hood of Selby officially registered it. If he didn't we could be really stuck.

The two seals appear to belong to the same stamp, so we can rule out it being a bird in the seal of George Hood next to his signature.

Seems the example you found Claire is possibly for Cooke of Cambridge? Those crests were found in Cambridge.

Kind regards Mark

I have an apology to make, I am sorry as it seems Philip Holmes did not take over Richard Gibson's business, as the tax value does not correspond.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Thursday 30 March 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
No apologies needed, another business man checked and ruled to have no connection to GH at the moment.

This is quite a good website, fascinating looking through these stamps

Interesting or ironic that plate 68 (the stag) is the crest for the Scott family (Buccleuch)

https://armorial.library.utoronto.ca/search/armorial_search/Stag

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Thursday 30 March 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Claire.

Thanks to the Friends of the Cemetery where my 2 x Gt. Grandfather is buried, who have been out and photograped his Memorial. Upon his headstone memorial is written ...

'Thy Will be Done' and in Latin 'Fiat voluntas tua' Motto appears in family crests.

I see in Fairbairns that quite a few Mottoes of families appear to be scriptural verses, proverbs and sayings.

Goughy, has kindly been able to obtain a Cemetery Plan and photograped John Hood's, thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Thursday 20 April 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
Claire has discovered that Charles Turner and Magdaline Turner / Maudlin Turner (nee Maudland Hood) have had two children baptised at SCULCOATES 1797 and 1799.

Can't find anything previously on Rootschat? Seems this is new information, well spotted, thank you.

From Family Search
SCULCOATES
Charles Turner baptised 19 March 1797 Father is Charles Turner and Mother is Magdaline.
Sarah Turner baptised 21 December 1799 Father is Charles Turner and Mother is Maudlin.

Checked in my Selby Parish transcriptions to see if I can further 'belt and braces', the above and found:-

SELBY
16 July 1811 Charles Turner Son of Charles, Selby, Whitesmith. Drowned aged 14 and buried in the Church Yard.

Age 14 would give a birth of 1797, matching exactly the 1797 baptism at Sculcoates.

Charles Turner, Blacksmith married Maudland Hood at Selby (1794) and the baptism of their first child at Selby (1795), Charles Turner and Morland (nee Maudland Hood) have then been in Sculcoates for a few years, before returning back to Selby.

Leaves me with two questions:-
1) is it Charles Turner's work that took them there, or
2) is a Hood or Turner family member ill /dying, or a child orphaned?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Thursday 20 April 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Last child born in Selby was Elizabeth. The next born in Selby looks to be Thomas born 1802. So we have a window of 5/6 years of the family in Sculcoates.

Which leaves me with another question

Dobfarms suggestion of Maudland being George's mother could be a possible - would they make a move to see her son through an apprenticeship ?
Thus returning at a later date to take a place working alongside Richard Gibson.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Looking Family Search HOOD, Death, 1795 to 1802, which might not have all the burials.

Searching Sculcoates, with country England, gives five, the nearest two at Hull:-

19 May 1797 HULL, York, Mary Hood - Father Henry Hood.
29 Sep 1800 HULL, York, Rob't Hood - Father Bainbridge Hood.

Also seen a Will for Ann Hood (1799) late of Morton, Lincs, but now of the town of Kingston upon Hull, Widow. Will made 5th March 1798.
Requested to be buried at Gainsbrough Church Yard.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752173.0

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Thursday 20 April 17 17:39 BST (UK) »

I used a timeframe of 20 years either side of 1800 to get a feel of how many Hood families there possibly were in Hull

A John buried a George 1794 and a daughter 1792, but the page is too dark to read
A Charles buried a Charles 1780
A Benjamin buried a George 1805
Henry buried Mary
James buried a James 1793
An Ann buried a George and an Eleanor 1803.

Quite a few in Sculcoates registers
Baptism of Charles son of Charles and Magdalin 1797 confirms father a blacksmith.
Daughter Sarah a 'smith' in 1798

Claire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: Thursday 20 April 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
WILL (Extracts from the Register Volume copy)
Ann Hood 1799 Kingston upon Hull

This is the last Will and Testament of me Ann Hood, late of Morton in the County of Lincoln but now of the town of Kingston upon Hull in the County of the same town Widow made this fifth day of March 1798 … I give and bequeath unto Robert Garbutt of the aforesaid town of Kingston upon Hull Taylor and Draper …

Reference to the distribution of several articles to …

unto Elizabeth Glovet of Islington near London … unto Mrs Atkinson the wife of Mr Atkinson of the Levells in the County of Lincoln … and unto Miss Raynes of Gainsbro’ my … bequeath unto Edward Serjeant of Battow in the County of Lincoln Farmer one shilling in discharge of all his claims. … Bequeath unto Robert Garbutt the younger, George Garbutt and John Garbutt the three sons of Robert Garbutt Fifty pounds a piece … when attaining twenty one years of age … I further give and bequeath unto Isaac Jones of Kingston upon Hull aforesaid Hair Dresser twenty pounds unto John Cotton the younger of the same place Ligh[?]etman twenty pounds … unto my Nephew George England of Kingston upon Hull aforesaid Sawyer … unto Hugh Finley of Kingston Upon Hull aforesaid Shipwright twenty pounds … unto my Niece Grace Skinner of Battow aforesaid Widow twenty pounds … unto Elizabeth Battick Daughter of James Barrick [spelling double ‘rr’] of Battow aforesaid Cordwainer the like sum of twenty pounds …

Reference to the purchase of a chalice for the church at Gainsborough “Widow Ann Hood” to be written upon it

… stone for myself and children to be inserted in Gainsbrough Church Yard … I give and bequeath unto Samuel Hood late of Moreton aforesaid Seaman the son of my late husband but has not been heard of by me or any of his to my knowledge or belief these several years last past the sum of three hundred pounds …

Reference to if he should return.

… appoint Robert Garbutt Sole Executor
Signed by Ann Hood
Witnesses
Tho Jackson Jun’r
H’m Sybus

Looks like Battow, probably should have been written BARROW, Lincolnshire and
Elizabeth Barrick Daughter of James Barrick of Barrow aforesaid Cordwainer the like sum of twenty pounds ...
in the Will Register?