Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162124 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
So possibly an error in the register. Oh well, at least you are finally getting somewhere with them  :)

Let's hope the good news keeps on coming  :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Seems a Mary Hood burial matching the exact death date of Sarah Hood (1879) has been found.

I'll know more when the images arrive!

Regards Mark

Six Hood of Selby Quaker Burial Note images have arrived, along with five Registration slips issued by the Selby Registrar have survived, confirming the deaths have been registered.

The 1879 burial is that of Sarah Hood, aged 86, confirming Sarah Hood was the Widow of George Hood.

I'm very pleased that at last, I have confirmation of the unknown burials.

--------------

Now for 'Lord Lucan', the mysterious appearance of George Hood? ARRRRHHHH!

The Seal is eagerly awaited!!

--------------

Been looking at some of these Gibson Wills and downloaded several from the Durham University site, but not a sniff of a Hood amongst them! Only John Ord, transferring property to John Cook.

John Cook (Houses at Silver Street, Newcastle; Cowgate and Pandon)

John Cook, Butcher of Newcastle (Will 1773 / Admin 1817) had houses at Cowgate [probably next to Hall's Gates, near Fenham] and Pandon, Thomas Robson seems to be linked and a Ralph Gibson, a Cooper, too, also reference to John Ord [likely the same Ord of Fenham Hall].

Problem with the 1773 John Cook Will (witnessed by John Spencer) is that Son John Cook never dealt with it, so it was produced at Administration by a George Brown in 1817.

John Cook's Houses at Cowgate and Pandon were being left to his daughter Elizabeth Cook.

My attention turned to John Cook, a Butcher, when I found a Durham 1757 Marriage Allegation and Bond for John Cook (Widower) aged 40 years and upwards of All Saints Newcastle upon Tyne, a Butcher and Elizabeth Gibson (Spinster) aged 28 years, and upwards also of All Saints.

Richard Gibson - Historical Notes

Found some interesting information as to why the original Richard Gibson was granted his Arms. Gibson was the protector of the Parliament grounds. The Gibsons also received a Royal Grant of Land at Hexham.

Later the Hexham Gibsons seemed to be linked to the Town Moor at Fenham [Newcastle it would seem]. One of the Gibsons in 1718 with Arms, was Richard Gibson of St Andrew's Newcastle.

I am absolutely staggered that Richard Gibson's Bankruptcy file was not retained, especially as his Father Thomas Gibson, was from Hall's Gates, Newcastle.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »

That is absolutely fabulous news regarding the burials Mark.

And now for Lord Lucan....

I have checked all PCC Wills for 'Gibson' in Yorkshire, no mention of a Hood there either.

Claire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
What year was the earliest known of George Hood's family/siblings event or anything relating to Quakers

I just can't see how 2 Quaker daughter in laws (James & his Quaker wife lived outside Selby so not her) would have that influence to change a large chunk of an Anglican family into a strong Quaker environment - but no change * of their Hood religion.

Only if Casson Hood (William's wife) took hold of matters after George died 1845, Sarah (Nee Russell) Hood either of weak natured in mind or starting with mental issues to let (bullied by her) the Quaker daughter in law rule the roost.

So was George a Quaker before marriage and change his religion to Sarah Russell's Anglican hence buried Quaker but at the time Anglican because of his wife's religion Anglican Sarah Russell)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Friday 24 March 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replies.

Difficult to say when George Hood began business associations with Quakers and Independents, but 1830s and certainly by 1839, George Hood is renting / occupying premises of William Procter a known Quaker.

Some of those, that George Hood was knocking about with, or mentioned in Hood documents (as his Tenants) seem to be a mix of Independents and Quakers.

All six Hood Quaker burials for George and Sarah Hood and their four adult unmarried children state "Not in Membership" or "Not a Member". George Hood's age is given as 60 years.

Perhaps some Independents had their children baptised as an insurance, as the Parish Church would bury baptised children without a fuss.

I've seen a latter half 19th century child burial (unbaptised) report, where the parents were forced to find a more friendly minister in another village to bury their child, but then stand outside the boundary wall of the Parish Church during the service and committal, as they did not share their Parish Church beliefs.

I noted in the 1845 Registers that some were going to Parishes some distance away for burial.

Church grave yards were overflowing (bodies were being dug up, to bury more) and perhaps Churches were saying you must go back to Birth Parish?

Having a Marriage Allegation and Bond and then not getting married quick, suggests:-
a) no local birth / baptism record
b) dissenting
c) they wanted to marry quick (but George & Sarah did not marry for just over two full months)
d) they wanted to marry without publishing Banns, more private (but George & Sarah advertised their marriage in the newspaper)

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales

Possibly George Hood was:-
i)   born an Independent (where no records exist)
ii)  too busy working to go to church
iii) burnt his bridges with his family
iv) going back to his Parish of birth would give away who he really was, or a scandal
v)  came from a distant place (but supposed to be born Yorkshire / also had the means to pay for transport)
vi) an Orphan left on Church steps / illegitimate

No reference to George Hood, asking the Quakers to bury him, so I don't know why this was said in an email, suggesting perhaps another record.

Sarah Hood's burial on 30th November 1879 was read out to the York Monthly Meeting on the 14th of 1st Mo. [January] 1880, obviously I am going to request the Meeting Minutes next. This entry has a redesigned page, allowing for this to be noted.

George Hood leaves quite a conundrum!

I feel that is him at Knottingley, but that just leaves another question, why Rent for a year in 1813 when you have rented premises at Selby in 1812.

Perhaps Wren Lane Selby was purely his business premises to begin with, NO evidence to show George Hood trained as a Cooper.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Friday 24 March 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the 1812 tax entry was part and parcel of taking over the cooper business (George not actually living there) and Knottingley was an overlap accommodation place -with relative or boarding there.

Quakers did not always keep register births book but kept notes of events mid late 18th century and was a time of treading carefully with there religion against the strong C of E influence.
~~~~~~~~-----------------
George of Gateshead is pain in his own right  - hither heed George of Selby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello All

The creature in the two seals together, is four legged according to the other damaged seal on the Will.

The archives have suggested that the seals were probably applied at an angle and the wax has also got flattened.

No letters, the circles under the animal, are the strands that make up a length of cord.

One front leg is raised.

Seems to be a crest type seal, if it can be interpreted.

Possible creatures for consideration:-

Stag
Antelope
Colt 
Horse
Nag
Unicorn

Familiar surnames:-

Foster
Fothergill
Green
Hutchison (not listed Hutchinson?)
Nicholson
Parker
Robertson
Robinson
Scott

and more.

Proctor (Scotland) can be a Greyhound

Note about the Selby Land Tax, in 1811 underneath Philip Holmes, charge to T. Foster.

Several Foster of Selby Wills were checked a while back, but no link to Hood mentioned.

Regards Mark

http://www.myfamilysilver.com/crestfinder-search/Hood-family-crest

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 22:26 BST (UK) »

There is a seal off a Will from a woman in Selby ~ hers is a stag, but it's so faint. She leaves bequests to nephews and nieces called Young. A small bequest to a Mr Dodsworth, and a friend Mr Audus - this name comes up as a variant for Hood on F M P

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks

Using both images, we have the bottom half of the beast and a short tail pointing slightly upward, so I now doubt it is a horse.

Looks like George Hood's is the bottom half of a Stag. There are other Stag plates too in different poses.

On picture 1 George has been pulling the stamp towards himself, so the wax has not even spread to form the top outline of the body.

On picture 2 George has been pulling the stamp, both toward him and right.

Regards Mark