Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162122 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #288 on: Monday 06 March 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a trip to Bradford library one day next month, when my Kitchen décor renovation is finished and also WYAS (Archives) is in the same room. By sound of the Talbot inn 1793 was a main city pub - so could be records but maybe none.  ???

With what all other past searches for G H has brought, I'll take it as a being pessimistic approach ready to accept disappointment ? yet the theory it has a possible baptism for George and a possible dad living in the right county at the right time with right dads similar vocation to fit George's boozy activities in Selby.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »

That's a great idea dobfarm.  :)

Checked Land Tax, Qtr Session records, nothing

There is a NC burial of a John Hood in Bradford 1791 ~ can't remember his age offhand but possibly (my thoughts) could be his father. There are not many records of Hoods in Bradford

Just been looking at the PCC Wills ~ there is a Robert Hood of the Red Lion ( London) admon c1820 ~ wonder if Robert ventured that far.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Got some bad news  :-[, looking at other newspaper entries at the Talbot Inn Bradford the innkeeper is coming up John WOOD

I had put just John Hood in Gale search and it brought up the 1793 of the Talbot Inn but no more, then putting in just Talbot Inn Bradford in Gale search brought up many John Wood innkeeper

Back to the drawing board.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Never mind dobfarm  :)

I think our objective stays the same though

We have George H b1786 Gateshead , father John.

Two Hoods - John and Robert, both innholders in the area, possibly brothers - one possibly the father of George.

And John Hood in Selby per Land Tax records from 1781. Both of these men can't be the father of George.

We need to eliminate one of them or both, somehow  :-\

???
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
 G H elusive as is namesake Robin Hood and Jack the Ripper

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
G H elusive as is namesake Robin Hood ...

Or born to a Lady Chatterley with the Gardener, or the outcome of a tryst between the Lord and his favourite Servant girl!

Unlikely to be born a Quaker, as his burial does not seem to be by 'Quaker birthright'.

We have got:-

1. A Grandchild carrying COOK as her middle name.
2. An 1815 Wedding Witness signing as COOKIN.
3. George's Seal with what I believe says COO (and difficult to read lettering /inscription in border).

Awaiting clearer seal, to see if there is anything in these similarites.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Saturday 11 March 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm under Northamptonshire with a few questions re Kettering ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767097.msg6192089#msg6192089

Looking at my 2 X Gt. Grandparents.

Sorry, but drink is involved yet again!

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Sunday 12 March 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
My thoughts still are.

Based on what you do know, your Hood's had downstream trades in the family, logic says that these skills were probably passed down the generations, leather trade, brewing and cooper trades, and seeming publicans. If John Hood innkeeper put his supposed son George Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead into a trade that is known to be associated to the brewing industry, the need for barrels and putting George into a definite trade but would also be brought up around the brewing linked outlets of distribution to learn from.

There is definite  baptism for George Hood 1786 Gateshead with no after life recorded after. ( a baptism a high need to have or work around than not having one)

There is a very probable or possible explanation for George's skills and fathers or family financial backing.

Plus the Gibson marriage to a John Hood 1779 and Richard Gibson's father of Newcastle on tyne that maybe linked

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Monday 13 March 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments

Mr Hood's Dram Shop in Wren Lane, Selby ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=755884.0

Dram from drćm - Gaelic. Possibly suggesting family's roots. A liquor / spirits drink in Scotland was called a "wee dram" when I was a boy.

Awaiting the Seal, if that goes nowhere and now we have longer days etc., Mrs H and I will have a trip up North to look at that collection's Tenancy records (for any Gibson - Hood changeover reference).

Regards Mark