Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162091 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #279 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I doubt it seem the Talbot Inn in the centre of Bradford was a big pub busy place needing full time occupation of the landlord.

This is bring us in the outer range boundry of Malcolm Bull and he knows his stuff

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/

Got a feeling a connection to John Hood innkeeper who died in Aberdeen July 11 1849 Aberdeen at Brechin on the 27th ult  Margaret Scott aged 57 years relict of the late John Hood Innkeeper

John Scott was bondsman to John Hood who married Elizabeth Gibson

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Sunday 05 March 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Recently, I came across a reference that two of the main Hood families at Whitley and Catherington, Hampshire were linked to Ireland, which is also borne out in the following 1841 grant (attached).

Seems the Hoods were in Chancery in 1866 regarding land at Whitley and Purley, near Coventry. This apparently links in Hood at Whitley to another Hood Lord Bridport (attached).

I have wondered if my George Hood was Irish and said Yes to being born Yorkshire, wishing to blend in, immigrants might not have been too popular.

The following seems to link some of the Yorkshire Hoods to Ireland, as well as Nettleham and West Firsby.

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=570

John Hood bought the townlands of Lissaniska and Togher, parish of Robeen, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the sale of the estate of George Ruttledge of Togher in 1851. The sale rental of 24 June 1851 includes reference to the purchase of Togher and Lecarrow by John Hood of Nettleham Hall, Lincoln. The Hoods settled in Yorkshire in the early 18th century and by the early 19th century were resident at Nettleham Hall, Lincoln. Charles Ralph Hood of Togher House, county Mayo, was the fourth son of John Hood. In 1853 he married Sophie daughter of captain Robert Odell and granddaughter of Colonel Odell formerly Member of Parliament for Sligo. Charles Hood and his wife had three sons John Robert, Charles and William. He died in 1867. In 1876 his son John Hood owned 714 acres in county Mayo.

(See also: Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, Part I, by Sir Bernard Burke, 1862, Fourth Edition).

Just a thought.

There are other Hoods in the Irish Land Database too.

Regards Mark

EDIT:
ref to John Hood, Esq. of Stoneridge, County of Berwick and reference to O'dell deleted (poor ocr scan had mixed two families together).

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Sunday 05 March 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
If we are to believe that the George H born Gateshead 1786  is the George we are looking for, he may have served an apprenticeship with one of these chaps. May be worth searching 'masters' rather than apprentice to see if there is anything there

1795 directory for Newcastle and Gateshead:

George FORSTER ~ alms House
John FORSTER ~ Cows Gate
Michael HYMERS ~ Side
Robert YOUNG ~ near scale de cross
Robert YOUNG ~ (cooper Westgate Street) *** Hood family related to Youngs were living on here
Edward WILSON ~ Scale de Cross
John HENDERSON ~ post office
John CARR ~ Painters heugh
John ATKINSON ~ Quayside
Andrew GILES ~ Close

Only HOODS listed ~ Robert HOOD ~ publican Sandhill, and Anthony Hood, fitter of Broad Chair

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Sunday 05 March 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ~ posts crossed. That is interesting, an Irish connection. I have come across an Irish Hood family before in my searches, but I just can't remember where :(

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Sunday 05 March 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Claire and dobfarm, I think we'll have to take a break and wait a few days.

Will the seal reveal?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Sunday 05 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
interesting

Robert HOOD ~ publican Sandhill 1795 directory for Newcastle and Gateshead:

Sandhill is just across the river Tyne from the Ship Inn
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Monday 06 March 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
interesting

Robert HOOD ~ publican Sandhill 1795 directory for Newcastle and Gateshead:

Sandhill is just across the river Tyne from the Ship Inn

See page p.3 of this thread - Robert Hood the Minister and Robert Hood Publican
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=754237.18

Quoted from above
BNA online - Newcastle Courant 7 October 1786 - Robert Hood from Newcastle wishes to acquaint his friends and the public, that he has entered upon the King's Head Inn, SUNDERLAND.

--------------------------

By the way, in Reply #20 of p.3, two Rootschatters have already answered two of the three George Hood births/baptisms questions regarding:-
19th May 1786 of Grange, Rhynd, Perthshire [John Hood & Christian Donaldson]
01st Oct  1786 Monymusk, Aberdeenshire [William Hood & Agnes Lamb]
24th Oct  1787 Brockholes, Coldingham, Berwickshire [John Hood & Alison Fife]

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756542.0
This is the only reference to the Hood name in the Pre-1855 MI's of Rhynd Churchyard.

38 1809: John Hood tenant Cottages of Fingask, wife Christian Donaldson,
son Peter 2.5.1785, 3 months,
son George 19.11.1787, 18 months,
son John 23.9.1800, 17 years.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756541.msg6063564#msg6063564
Son of John Hood and Alison Fife? He's my relative, and he died in 1814. There's a family gravestone for this family at Coldingham, and this George is commemorated on there, dying on 30th March 1814 aged 25. Age slightly out with the birth, but close enough to be the 1787 baptism. And matching parents. By then John Hood was tenant in Oldcambus Townhead. He died in 1816, and his wife Alison Fife in 1820. All according to the same family gravestone.

So this isn't your George. Sorry!

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Monday 06 March 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Claire

Assuming the same Robert Hood had two pubs, one in Sunderland 1786 and one in Newcastle on Tyne 1795 which shows these landlords moved about counties.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where  publicans Robert Hood and John Hood were born at the moment is irreverent, (Scotland or England) but they could be brothers.

What is relevant is George Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead dad John Hood

George Hood son of a John Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead -No signs of John Hood baptizing other children in Gateshead 7 year either side of 1786

On its own merit John Hood publican in Gateshead at the Ship Inn in the 1780's & this John Hood in Bradford at the Talbot Inn 1793 by dates and location in Yorkshire and Gateshead needs seriously checking out

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Monday 06 March 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Totally agree dobfarm :)

Bar the one lone baptism of a Sarah Hood father John a mason in Bradford 1790 there are no other mentions of a John Hood in the Bradford parish registers upto the year 1812, or anywhere in that area ( only searching Anc* records) which is definitely suggestive of someone moving around for work.

I've checked the men in Gateshead ( coopers ) for who they had as apprentices 1785-1805 - nothing, although I know these records may not be complete.

We definitely need to rule this George in or out. And try and find this John Hood publican too in other records.