Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162083 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #252 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Friday 03 March 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks dobfarm. A Grandchild Matilda V. Hood was baptised Drax 1861, but recent burial developments confirm that a person's religious preference can change.

Robert Coe

https://archive.org/stream/robertcoepuritan00bart#page/22/mode/2up

I have only skimmed through the book electronically looking for certain references.

The book is linking certain Coe family members to John Coo of Gestingthorpe number 1 in a tree.

On page Page 16 the author says … “In the original records the founder of the Hawkwood Charities is called John Coo (not Cook) of Gestingthorpe, as appears from the following documents:” …

Then on page 17 a footnote appears as an asterisk against the surname of John “Coo*”

In the asterisk footnote and page 7, it would seem that the author was suggesting that Coo was originally Coe, by using translation variations.

Seals

There are two seals featured (p.23), it seems from a document 13 Henry VI involving a grant by several parties including Coo to Thomas Chetwood, found by the author in a book regarding the Chetwood Charters.

EDITED: Part deleted - see Reply #255 regarding the Crane and the Martlet.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Friday 03 March 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Friday 03 March 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Fairbairn's Crests is the only one I can find, fortunately it is searchable & Control F searchable in PDF.

Volume 1 with Descriptions and part of the Plates Index
https://ia601407.us.archive.org/34/items/fairbairnsbookof01fair/fairbairnsbookof01fair.pdf

Volume 2 with other part of Plates Index and Plates of the Crests
https://archive.org/stream/FairbairnsBookOfCrestsV2#page/n29/mode/2up/search/Coe

In the Index the first number denotes the Plate and second number relates to the Crest.

Regarding the Robert Coe, Puritan ... book published in 1911 the seals on page 23 feature a Martlet bird (also linked to Coe).
https://archive.org/stream/robertcoepuritan00bart#page/22/mode/2up

The descriptions in Fairbairns for 'Coo' and 'see Coe' in Volume 1 (thread p.20) and also the Plates Index / Plates in Volume 2, the Crane is linked to Coo and Coe and the Martlet to Coe.

George Hoods Seal is named Coo, apparently depicting the Crane of Coo.

The different poses of the birds with various items, apparently denote generations or cadency in heraldry.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Friday 03 March 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
From this poor seal image, and from you bird images. I'll go along with the bird in the seal but looking at your bird images, what you think is Coo is in fact that rope pattern branch the bird is stood on like the birds in your pictures.

The OO is one an oval O split with a crack in the seal.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Friday 03 March 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »

That's a good point dobfarm but on all the seals I've looked at the rope looks 'like rope' - the image on GH's seal looks too segmented, more like letters.

But that's just my opinion, you could be right. :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Friday 03 March 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
From this poor seal image, and from you bird images. I'll go along with the bird in the seal but looking at your bird images, what you think is Coo is in fact that rope pattern branch the bird is stood on like the birds in your pictures.

The OO is one an oval O split with a crack in the seal.

Hello All

dobfarm, I think the second letter O has a crack through it.

Between the birds legs I don't feel it is rope, but some type of calipers, or divider/pincer, or other instrument, if you go back to my improved image (not the one sketched over) of the Red Seal, this detail seems to have been more protected by the border.

Page 21, Reply #188.  23 Feb 17.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.188

Facing the bird:-
the left leg has its claw folded over the instrument and
the right claw stood on the edge of the instrument

I'm waiting for a close-up photo, I also want to see what lettering you and others have noticed in the border / bordure.

Altering the seal indicated a different generation from the last.

I am very much picking this up as I go along.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Saturday 04 March 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »

I'm still seeing letters looking back at the pic put up. But, if we are looking at a family crest - they do seem to have the rope detail.

BTW - saw a pigeon in the garden this morning, first thought: family crests  :-\ I think I need to get out more  :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »

I'm still seeing letters looking back at the pic put up. But, if we are looking at a family crest - they do seem to have the rope detail.

BTW - saw a pigeon in the garden this morning, first thought: family crests  :-\ I think I need to get out more  :)

If you look at my last image, bottom right insert, I outlined a what seems a rope that the twists are evenly spaced and exactly 6 twists that look like a row of rope twists as same as the other crests images Mark posted.