Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159657 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #630 on: Friday 07 July 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Yes I've checked too - no George Pearsons before 1812. There are Pearsons though. One couple James Pearson - wife was a Mary Hurst - dau of Samuel H of Knottingley.

Hi Claire

An Emma Hirst, born Ledsham, a Visitor in 1891 with Charles Hood, born Selby (My family tree, but on another Line)

1881 Residence 30 Beancroft St., Castleford
Joseph G Hirst, born Hailsham 1855
Emma Hirst, born Ledsham 1854
Amy Hirst, born Castleford 1878
Oliver Hirst, born Castleford 1881

Marriage Jan - Mar Quarter 1877, Tadcaster District
Joseph Goulton Hirst
Emma Tindall

CHARLES HOOD of SELBY
Reply #50 - 53
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.msg6069524#msg6069524

Marriage Ledsham 20 March 1877

Joseph GOULTON Hirst full bachelor, mason of Ledsham. Father: Oliver Hirst - currier
Emma Tindall full spinster of Ledsham. Father: George Tindall - farmer.

Witnesses: Jesse Clegg and Susan Whiteley.

Variant of GOULTON - Golton - witness at Richard Gibson wedding was a Golton whose sons wife went on to marry Chester Newby.

--------

Samuel Hirst of Kellingon was known to have contacts with a few Hoods then living WHITLEY & Kellington area and a George Hood.

Tuesday 9 July
At Kellington, a fine day but it was very like rain in the morning.
I am just expecting Mr Hood and his friend to dine out of (?) today, they are staying at Askern.
Mr Hood came and dined with me.
Called and looked at Mr Earnshaw's rams.
I took supper at Hutt Green.

Friday 27 September
At Howden Show, a fine day.
Wm Dickon bought a gig horse of Penty of York for £31/10/0 and he bought a fine hunting horse 4 years old of Mr George Hood for £63/0/0. I lent him £35/2/3.
My expenses are 8/6.
I paid Goodworth for Miss B - £7/0/0.
I received of George Auty for Miss B £10/0/0.

Mark

EDIT: There was a Thos HOOD of WHITLEY 1835

http://www.kellingtons-independent-website.co.uk/page54.htm

WHITLEY was where Chester Newby was bapt. in August 1790

Benefice of Knottingley and Kellington with Whitley
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/benefice.php?B=46/181
Currently ...
Whitley Bridge, All Saints
Knottingley, St Botolph
Kellington, St Edmund

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: Friday 07 July 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Baptism
I agree with dobfarm that C of E / Anglican baptised their children.

However, nonconformists were seen as opposing C of E / Anglican church. They would be attending their own Meetings, not attending a Parish Church and likely very few, or none would baptise their children in the Parish Church.

One of the reasons for having a Marriage Licence and an Marriage Allegation / Bond, was that some were not attending the Parish Church and couldn't qualify the Banns requirement to be attending 3 Sundays in a row. Others wanted to marry in a hurry, or keep the marriage private etc.

If the surviving NC records for Selby don't start until 1797 and 1811 and the NC were not attending the Parish Church, there will be some children with no birth or baptism record before those dates.

This might be my problem (no birth record), so I've either got to:-
prove somehow belt and braces that Geo Hood baptised 1 Oct 1786 Gateshead, is mine.

But I have conflicts re George Hood:-
1. 1841 Born Yorkshire (very occasionally these can be wrong)

2. Marriage by Licence, Allegation & Bond (we can rule out:-
a) privacy, due to advertising the Marriage in a Yorkshire newspaper (Hull) and
b) Quickie Marriage, due to two Month delay)

3. Children baptised 1816 to 1835 (perhaps Mum Sarah who was baptised, insisted on her childrens baptisms)

4. The Quakers bury George, his Widow and their adult, unmarried children as "Not in Membership".

5. Gibson's Bankruptcy Commission File doesn't survive. Where cases are referred to the Lord Chancellor for an opinion, notes are made, but no referral indexed.

6. There is no Tax paid on an Apprenticeship record, so we don't know if he trained as a Cooper, or was simply a businessman, running a Cooper business. There is no newspaper advert regarding taking over the Cooper business.

7. A George Hood appears for one year only in the Land Tax in 1813 at Knottingley. George Hood appears in the 1812 Selby Land Tax onward and this could be his first property in 1812. Richard Gibson must have carried on for about 2 years, after getting his Certificate of Conformity in March 1810, before George Hood seemingly took over in March 1812.

8. We don't know what happened to Richard Gibson, nor his burial place and date? In 1810 Richard Gibson was at Little Britain, London, but appears to have returned to Selby.

9. The Selby Burial Register 1803 does not tell us who Jane Hood was previously, only that she was married to John Hood of Selby, Mariner, aged 65 (possibly young enough in 1785 to father a child) and by using Maudland Hood's information and Scarborough St Mary's baptism (seen) confirm they came from Scarborough, seemingly moving to Selby about 1781, living in the residence of John Turner and then John Spencer of Selby Gentleman. The house John Hood was occupying in Millgate, Selby in 1802, was transferred from John Spencer to Thomas Hembrough.

But no idea where Jane married or came from. Jane could of had George (illegitimately) before her marriage to John Hood the Mariner, but we can't check.

10. No Father's Occupation, or Mother's name on a 1786 Gateshead Baptism record. T & W confirm the other Register only has the same information.

11. Property dealings from circa 1833 suggests a lot of contact between George Hood and Quakers and Independents.

12. George Hood becomes a Brewer between 1824 to 1826, and later acquires from John Clarkson of Newport, Eastrington, the former premises of Henry Mitton, Maltster of Snaith.

John Clarkson of New Port, Eastrington, a Farmer, was also listed as a MILLER in 1823 Baines.

T & W Archives say generally re Ballast Hills Newcastle NC Burial Registers, that they should record person's name, the place (district) in the town, age and occupation. I'm hoping there may be other snippets.

Thank you for your efforts, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: Saturday 08 July 17 11:02 BST (UK) »

Early Selby Churches and Chapels (Mountain 1800)

Selby Abbey Church
Presbyterian Chapel, Millgate, rebuilt about the year 1690.
Quaker Meeting House, Gowthorp, errected about the year 1784 [Online RG records earlier than this]
Methodist Meeting House in Millgate, errected about the year 1785.

About 1780s
Catholics Meeting in the Steward's House of the Manor of Selby.

Regards Mark

Hello All

Thanks dobfarm, I'm reviewing Scotlands People for Scottish events, so will try your suggestions too.

Selby, Presbyterian circa 1690 to 1797
However, Selby Presbyterian - Date of Foundation, was prior to 1707 (See also Mountain, published 1800, transcribed in the quote above with a few other notes), but I don't know why the Registrar General only acquired their Baptism & Burial Registers from 1797 to 1836 ...

Perhaps 90 YEARS of MISSING SELBY PRESBYTERIAN births and baptisms in TNA, Kew, RG (Registrar General) Series, online?

Perhaps pre 1797 Births and Baptisms, are in an Archive, or at the Selby Chapel, or area/regional Chapel today?

72. SELBY (Presbyterian)
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=__5bAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA70&lpg=RA1-PA70&dq=Selby+Presbyterian+1784+1785&source=bl&ots=9MnGMMXfsC&sig=5RMHDNRdn3CxuX4X-29pF7eRuSU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-1Z_BqfnUAhUmD8AKHYGjD_0Q6AEIIjAC

Another book useful to researchers.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=EzUJAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=Presbyterian+Chapel+Selby&source=bl&ots=wJoN8qd83v&sig=wzAFp0_uOptBiB4I2zEEc-4vc44&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiczdD9qPnUAhXhCcAKHd5LBRgQ6AEIYDAF

What is recorded in the book (in the 1st link) is also confirmed by the TNA catalogue ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6242971

Advised Mrs H, that a visit to see Quaker Minutes is important.

Presbyterianism is known to have Scottish / Irish links, so emailed WYAS.

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: Saturday 08 July 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
KELLINGTON

Is Kellington the same as Killington ?

One of those John Hood Deeds was from there. Possibly same family as the Thomas Hood you have edited into the post above, perhaps ?

EDIT: William Collinson - where was he from ? Noticed Deeds for him, linked with an Etty family - dobfarm sent me a link about GH a Collinson and Elly ??
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: Saturday 08 July 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
KELLINGTON

Is Kellington the same as Killington ?

One of those John Hood Deeds was from there. Possibly same family as the Thomas Hood you have edited into the post above, perhaps ?

EDIT: William Collinson - where was he from ? Noticed Deeds for him, linked with an Etty family - dobfarm sent me a link about GH a Collinson and Elly ??

Hi Claire

1838 Registration
COLLINSON and OTHERS to ELLY Deed Memorial

transaction 1836 (quick note) ...
James Collinson of Selby ... William Collinson of the same place Butcher and George Hood of the same place Brewer of the one part and Ann Elly of the City of York Spinster of the other part ...

Looks like Ann Elly, but these Registrations are written very quickly.

Kind regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: Saturday 08 July 17 12:51 BST (UK) »

There are lots of Elly entries on there - a couple with a William Collinson ( Brewer) I'm going through any known surname - just incase something crops up or a Hood transcribed wrongly - and they are fascinating to read :)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: Saturday 08 July 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Claire, Killington is probably an old spelling variation, of Kellington and the document you have found this in, is dated 1727.

Railroad Book

Has Whitley, a township in the Parish of Killington, County of York. 4 m. further Pollington.

1799 Agricultural Survey

Parish of Killington has 4 Townships
1. Killington.
2. Beaghall.
3. Egbrough.
4. Whitley.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YchMAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA97&lpg=RA1-PA97&dq=Whitley+Killington&source=bl&ots=aukqAxQ1hc&sig=BRZNYHDUY9zCMwWsAE32pvwbZsM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiurMzogPrUAhWFIsAKHWp1AKwQ6AEIMDAG

e.g. Killingworth, Warwickshire in old documents, is Kenilworth.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: Sunday 09 July 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
14th March 1727
Probate of the Will of Roger Hood of Selby

In the name of God Amen I Roger Hood of Selby being weak of Body but of perfect understanding Do make this my last Will and Testament – in manner and form following (Viz.) … I give o’in manner following first I give to my Brother Nathaniel Hood, my Sister Eliz: Middleton & my sister Ann Todd my dwelling house and orchard & appurts thereunto belonging to be equally divided among o’in & Do hereby give and bequeath each of ye above mentioned p’ties an equal share in ye above mentioned house and orchard lyeing or being in Ouzegate I give also to Mr John [unrecognised surname] Mosli & Ann Barker liveing in Wren Lane five pounds in Trust for the only use & benefit of my Nephew German Camp to be given to him in such way & proportions as the abovementioned Mr Mosli & Ann Barker shall see and think proper to give him I also give to my Nephew German Camp the Bed and Appurts belonging to him standing in the Chamber I also give to my two Neeces Sarah and Mary Camp all the wearing apparrele linnen & wooling belonging to my Late wife Except the Cloak w’ch I give to my sister Middleton. Lastly I appoint my Brother Nathaniel Hood my Sister Middleton & my Sister Todd Exe’trs of this my Last Will & Testam’t. I give o’in all my goods & Chattells debts & Creditts my Legacys debts and funeral Expenses being first discharged In Witness whereof I set my hand & Seal this 14th March 1727/8 Roger Hood. Witness Geo: Hutchinson, Peter Leaper Ann Nutt. [sic].

Roger Hood was buried Selby 18 March 1728.

Regarding the Will of Roger Hood of Selby (my copy is from the Howard - Vyse collection) - I thought Mosli, but I agree with Claire, the spelling could read Mush - John Mush.

1728/9 John Mush was a Presbyterian Minister at Selby (supported by the Hewley Fund)
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Selby/Selby-Mill-GateCongChurch.html

Page 345
https://archive.org/stream/congregationalis00mial

Lady Sarah Hewley
(John Hewley was from Wistow near Selby)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Hewley_Trust

No Selby Presbyterian births/baptisms 1707 to 1796 at WYAS, I've had a reply.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: Sunday 09 July 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Back to the Selby Hoods.

An interesting record of Samuel Hood is sons 'Samuel & Bainbridge. Clip below.

And this marriage in Copgrove: Sam: HOOD of Knaresbrough & Ann BAINBRIDGE of Farnham, married by Licence 10 May 1713.

EDIT: A daughter Elizabeth born in Knaresborough Feb 1715, but buried 1716. Then no other records.