Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 161086 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #639 on: Sunday 09 July 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Back to the Selby Hoods.

An interesting record of Samuel Hood is sons 'Samuel & Bainbridge. Clip below.

And this marriage in Copgrove: Sam: HOOD of Knaresbrough & Ann BAINBRIDGE of Farnham, married by Licence 10 May 1713.

Hello

Thank you, very interesting to see the image snippet, Claire.

Sam: Hood of Knaresbrough (marrying a Bainbridge) and Benjamin Hood (mentioned in the Quaker Minutes). 

Bainbridge Hood married a Pearson and Beverley and also Bainbridge/Banbridge used to name Hood children at Selby.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: Sunday 09 July 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
Yorkshire Gazette, 6th November 1819

On Monday last, at Knaresbrough, by the Rev. Aaron Manby, Wm. J. Calvert, Esq. of Averham, Notts., to Miss Bainbridge, daughter of the late John Gibson Bainbridge, Esq., of Brompton, Middlesex.

Interesting the Daughter of a J. Gibson Bainbridge, married at Knaresbrough.

Left me wondering if there might be a slight possibility of a Gibson of Selby link.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: Monday 10 July 17 01:50 BST (UK) »
The Hoods in Beverley appear right back into the 1600's.

The first time I can see a Bainbridge Hood mentioned is Bendbridge Hood baptised 22 Apr 1690 Beverley, son of Robert.

Robert Hood married Elizabetha Robinson in Beverley 23 Jan 1688.
There is a baptism of John Gibson Bainbridge in Hampsthwaite Yorkshire on 17 Feb 1746 father Edward Bainbridge.
John G B married in London by Licence to Mary Edwards in 1781. From the marriage licence age consistent with the Hampsthwaite birth and he was a Wine Merchant.

His father Edward it would seem was the Vicar at Hampsthwaite - who from what I can see from other sources married twice, one marriage given below ( from his record at Cambridge Uni) and again to an Elizabeth Gibson. But cannot verify this at the moment, it's a bit late.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: Monday 10 July 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Back to the Selby Hoods.

An interesting record of Samuel Hood is sons 'Samuel & Bainbridge. Clip below.

And this marriage in Copgrove: Sam: HOOD of Knaresbrough & Ann BAINBRIDGE of Farnham, married by Licence 10 May 1713.

EDIT: A daughter Elizabeth born in Knaresborough Feb 1715, but buried 1716. Then no other records.

Hello

Thanks Claire.

I'm wondering if the Sam Hood of Knaresbrough who married Ann Bainbridge, is a stand alone marriage; or possibly linked to the Hoods at Selby OR Beverley.

--------

Middle Names of James and Sarah Hood's Children
Been looking at the middle names of James Hood (Son of my George Hood) & his Wife, Sarah Hood (nee Arundel /Wilkinson).

Only Russell appears to be what I would an Ancestry Descent surname (furthest back) on the Hood side and we know that belongs to George Hood's wife Sarah Russell, so one of the other surnames ought to be George Hood's, Mother.

Chester Newby and Cookin (Cockin) - MILLERS
The Newby and Cookin (definitely linked on documents to my George Hood) were MILLERS.

COSTA MILL
John Hood of Costa Mill, was a Miller.

The water course "Costa Beck" is seen at the main road (West of Pickering), roughly half-way between Pickering and Middleton. (The road East of Pickering is direct to Scarborough).

Been trying this COSTA MILL in the newspapers and not only is John HOOD, a MILLER and cornmiller appearing with that address, but also a John PEARSON of COSTA MILL (Pearson - both spellings).

John PIERSON, also a MILLER appears in William White's 1840 ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Wf80AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA460&lpg=PA460&dq=Pearson+%22costa+mill%22&source=bl&ots=UBXcfGkduH&sig=nSZABjsuZ37WWXXvgwCT6lVm4ns&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs_rKNo_7UAhXhK8AKHSXLDnQQ6AEILTAG

John PEARSON of Costa Mill, is advertising for sale, Yorks Gazette, 28 October 1843 property at Pickering and Middleton ... Further Particulars to Thomas Pearson, Saintoft Grange, near Pickering; or Mr John Pearson Costa Mill, near Middleton; and at the Office of Messrs A. and W. Simpson, Solicitors, Malton, 14 October 1843.

John Pearson and John Hood as Millers seem to be ovelapping at Costa Mill.

COSTA MILL, near Pickering, or near Middleton, look to be the same MILL.

Another Directory of 1823
John Hood, Cornmiller, Costa Mill (Hood's Mill)

According to the prosecution of William Garbutt, 29, (reported in Yorkshire Gazzette 23 December 1843) it says he was a servant of John Hood of Costa Mill.

Seems the Mill also comes under Aislaby.

Summary
I feel the MILLER occupation aspect and the names John HOOD and also John PEARSON (alias John Pierson) both MILLERS and both linked to the same COSTA MILL, is perhaps worth revisiting?

--------

Incidental Note
The John Hood who married Jane Marshall (18th Cent.) was a Bleacher by occupation (I got the Marriage doc from the Borthwick). The 1807 Poll Book has John Hood, Bleacher, listed.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: Monday 10 July 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hoods at Costa Mill

John Hood married Ellinor Smith by licence at Middleton by Pickering 10 June 1792
Both signed register
Witnesses- Thos. Atkinson, John Clarke and William Fox Clark the latter looks to be a church official.

John & Ellinor had two children

John H born 1793
Elizabeth born 1794

John Hood the son married Rachel Gibson by licence at West Heslerton 29 January 1824.
Both signed register
Witnesses: Robt. Gibson & Elizabeth Hood.

The daughter Elizabeth was unmarried up to the 1851 census.

John Hood the elder died in 1846 - no sign of a Will.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: Monday 10 July 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire

Doesn't seem to be a Hood - Pearson marriage link there.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census both John Hood and John Pearson are in separate dwellings called Costa Mill

John Hood is at the Costa Mill in the Township of AISLABY.

John Pearson is at the Costa Mill in MIDDLETON.

John Hood (born c1745) :  On the baptisms of two of his children Jane(1769) and Mary(1779) both are transcribed as HEAD - but abode listed as Cost Mill.

A Jane Hood had an illegitimate son Richard in 1790 in the Pickering registers, trying to find out what happened to her.

Which marriage do you mean ? - Coincidence: In trying to trace the family back - I can see the marriage of John Hood & Jane Marshall in 1765 Pickering.
Their children : John 1767 , Jane 1769 , Mary 1779, Richard 1779, William 1773

But looks like his parents were a John Hood and Jane Marshall who married 21 Aug 1735 in Old Malton
Their children: James 1747, Jane 1745, John 1736 & 42 & 49, Mary 1744, Robert, 1742,  William 1752.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census both John Hood and John Pearson are in separate dwellings called Costa Mill

John Hood is at the Costa Mill in the Township of AISLABY.

John Pearson is at the Costa Mill in MIDDLETON.

John Hood (born c1745) :  On the baptisms of two of his children Jane(1769) and Mary(1779) both are transcribed as HEAD - but abode listed as Cost Mill.

A Jane Hood had an illegitimate son Richard in 1790 in the Pickering registers, trying to find out what happened to her.

Which marriage do you mean? ...

Hi

Thanks Claire.

That is a most interesting re COSTA MILL. It did say in an 1843 Court Case involving theft at Middleton by William Garbutt, 29, being a Servant of John Hood of Costa Mill, that the owner of the Mill lived at Aislaby. But newspapers don't always get things quite clear and it could be read both ways.

--------

John Hood, the Bleacher
The marriage I had excluded would be the 1765 John Hood = James Marshall, Marriage, this John Hood was a Bleacher.

Therefore, not a Mariner, so we couldn't link Jane Marshall, to the other mystery, the mysterious Jane Hood, aged 65, Wife of John Hood the Mariner, buried Selby August 1803?

Hood's Costa Mill

"John Hood (born c1745) :  On the baptisms of two of his children Jane(1769) and Mary(1779) both are transcribed as HEAD - but abode listed as Cost Mill.

"

Transcribed HOOD as HEAD

You have found definite evidence of transcribing HOOD as HEAD. I wonder what the image says for these HEAD children, abode COST MILL. Because the Mill had been in the HOOD family for a long time apparently.

--------

GEORGE HEAD - Born YORK 1784

Family search (FS) have a GEORGE HEAD at YORK and a QUAKER.
3rd January 1784
Parents - Joseph Head and Hannah

I wonder what the image says, please?

George Head - Marriage at Selby
FS even have a GRO registered George HEAD 1847 marriage at Selby.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&englishSubcountryName=Yorkshire&query=%2Bgivenname%3AGeorge~%20%2Bsurname%3AHead~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1784-1788~%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A%22England%2CYorkshire%22

--------

COCKIN

Been looking at Cockin again, as Richard Cockin of Doncaster was a Quaker.

Newspaper Yorkshire Gazette, 4th March 1865 - James Cockin (GRO Index COCKING)

"Cockin.-On the 24th ultimo, at Thorne, aged 71, Mr. James Cockin."
Born about 1794

Could be old enough to be the JAMES COOKIN witness signature 1815 George Hood = Sarah Russell marriage and their Daughter-in-Law Jane Casson was from Thorne. I wonder if the Census has James Cockin (alias Cocking) occupation/birthplace?

I've no end of Parish images downloaded including Pearson Cockin.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 10:40 BST (UK) »

EDIT: dobfarm did we ever find out what happened to the 1783 Quaker baptism of 'George HEAD' father Joseph, mother Hannah. The witness was a Mary HOOD?

Claire

Sure I've seen the York Monthly Meeting -Quakers for this mid 1780s period, from Anc. Quaker index.

But obviously not viewed the Quarterly Index.

George Head born 1784 Yorkshire, with A HOOD witness, this could be very interesting!

Family search has Reference RG 6/0789 (think Anc. may just use the 789 / 0789 part in its Quaker listings).

TNA says RG 6/789 are YORKSHIRE QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES.

RG 6 are usually Quaker.

Regards Mark