Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159614 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #36 on: Friday 18 November 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

We have returned from Dumfries (Dłn Phris), Scotland and whilst there, visited the Library F.H. Section with my family problem and I was directed to some publications written by two authors, both F.S.A. (Scot), Fellows of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

These two authors also recorded most of the Headstones (M.I.) for the whole of the Galloway area of South-West Scotland and these are two comments I noticed ...

Middle name is usually from the surname of parents or grandparents, as has been the Scottish custom for generations.

Regarding Monumental Inscriptions ...

The Scottish custom of inscribing the maiden name of the wife, is invariably adopted, but not always, this again does help in tracing families.

Therefore Sarah Hood who died Selby in 1879 might, for example, be recorded on her headstone as Sarah Russell, wife of George Hood, or wife of the above. I saw numerous examples time after time, in Hood Scottish M.I.s.

-------------------

Some of the Grandchildren of George Hood and Sarah Russell of Selby, born to James Hood and Sarah Hood, nee Arundel (Father John Arundel per GRO Marriage Cert.), carried surnames in their middle names and could be revealing my ancestry according to Scottish custom, as my 83 year old Father is sure at some unknown point, we are of Scottish origin.

This leaves three unaccounted ancestor surnames:-
COOK
ALFRED
PEARSON

COOK (Elizabeth Cook Hood).

WILKINSON (John Wilkinson Hood), - James Hood was Son-in-Law to Mary Wilkinson, the Head (1861 Selby Census).

RUSSELL (William Russell Hood), - being the maiden surname of George Hood's wife, Sarah Russell, (also Sarah Russell's father was actually called "William Russel").

ALFRED (James Alfred Hood).

ARUNDEL (George Arundel Hood), - being James Hood's wife Sarah Hood (nee Arundel), Father John Arundel, Stoneagent?

PEARSON (Bernard Pearson Hood).

Regarding Adelina Hood (who has no middle name). I have Adelina in Latin and Old German, but cannot find a Scottish definition.

Regards Mark

EDITED: Added John Arundel's name from James and Sarah Hood's Wedding Certificate.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 18 November 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Think Alfred would be just a middle first name Alfred like John William Hood or James Robert Hood
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 18 November 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That is what I thought once.

Try ALFRED as a surname alone, All Types, in Free BMD Sept 1837 to 1900?

Regards Mark

EDIT:-

There is a claim online that some Scots families and also some Scottish Quaker families followed naming patterns or sequences, claim from the US, from a book, name not given?

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/walker/29775/

-------------

Apart from that found in Scotland (in my last post), I wondered if these naming patterns (in the link) have any official basis in an old Great British publication of ours, please?

SCOTTISH

First born son named for the paternal grandfather.

Second son named for the maternal grandfather.

Third son named for the father.

First born daughter for the paternal grandmother.

Second daughter for the maternal grandmother.

Third daughter for the mother.

-------------------

James Hood married in the Selby Parish Church, yet William Hood of Selby married at Scarborough Register Office in the same month of December 1851.

So it is unclear when James Hood became a Quaker.

------------------

Although George Hood of Selby (married Selby 1815) does not appear as a Selby Quaker, we will go and read the whole (if req'd) Quaker Selby Monthly and Quarterly Meeting and Birth records (1850 to 1870s), as they still survive for this period and see if the children's names of George Hood's sons, James and William Hood give me any naming explanation, or descent lineage (like Dades).

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 19 November 16 20:47 GMT (UK) »

WILKINSON (John Wilkinson Hood), - James Hood was Son-in-Law to Mary Wilkinson, the Head (1861 Selby Census).

EDITED: Added John Arundel's name from James and Sarah Hood's Wedding Certificate.

Hi Mark

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Scotland.

Just to clarify for you, I can't remember or should that be I've lost the thread where I put it before.   

Sarah Arundell was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Arundell (who later married John Wilkinson).  In 1851 census Sarah Arundell is recorded  as "daughter" living with Mary and John Wilkinson.  John is a stone agent.  So although she put John Arundell Stone Agent on her marriage certificate I think she used the name John "Arundell" to save face.  It was quite common, and quite a few of my ancestors who were born illegitimate did exactly the same (used the first names and occupation of their "step-father")  I am  confident the "Wilkinson" in the middle name of James and Sarah's child would come from her step-father John Wilkinson

EDIT:  Sarah was born 15 Feb 1831 and baptised Weslyan Methodist 18 Feb 1831 Her grandfather was George Arundel
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 20 November 16 00:05 GMT (UK) »

Hi Mark

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Scotland.

Just to clarify for you, I can't remember or should that be I've lost the thread where I put it before.   

Sarah Arundell was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Arundell (who later married John Wilkinson).  In 1851 census Sarah Arundell is recorded  as "daughter" living with Mary and John Wilkinson.  John is a stone agent.  So although she put John Arundell Stone Agent on her marriage certificate I think she used the name John "Arundell" to save face.  It was quite common, and quite a few of my ancestors who were born illegitimate did exactly the same (used the first names and occupation of their "step-father")  I am  confident the "Wilkinson" in the middle name of James and Sarah's child would come from her step-father John Wilkinson

EDIT:  Sarah was born 15 Feb 1831 and baptised Weslyan Methodist 18 Feb 1831 Her grandfather was George Arundel

Hi

Thanks for this Goughy, yes you did give us some info previously.

Thanks for ... Her [Sarah's] grandfather was George Arundel ...

Recapping ...
John Wilkinson Hood was named after Sarah's believed Father, John Wilkinson.
George Arundel Hood was named after Sarah's Grandfather, George Arundel.
William Russel Hood was named after James's Grandfather, William Russel.

Also hoping that the Quaker records in relation to James and Sarah will reveal something. As they only had time to answer simple questions, George Hood's birth was not recorded in Selby Quaker Registers.

I'm confident Grandmother Hood said, our family origin was Scottish (how far back is now unclear). Also that names came from previous generations, which we assumed back then, were first names.

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
For the purpose of elimination here's some surnames from Sarah's parentage (including step father Wilkinson)

Arundel - Grandparents:            George ARUNDEL and Hannah EYRE
               Grt grandparents:      Joseph EYRE and Hannah PYGOT
                                               Mathew ARUNDEL and Ann JACKSON

Wilkinson   "step" grandparents  Edward WILKINSON and Margaret TWIST
                    "gt  grandparents  John TWIST and Rebecca CRABTREE
                                                William WILKINSON and Jane ??

and just to put James' parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON
                                              Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

So......  the Cook and Pearson names are looking as though they are from GH's side of the family (unless they went totally off-piste!).

Naming children from grandparents, particularly female surnames,   etc is quite common and still goes on today.  Usually, the female  surnames point research "in the right" direction, but hey ho in the case of GH who  knows!!
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 20 November 16 15:58 GMT (UK) »
For the purpose of elimination here's some surnames from Sarah's parentage (including step father Wilkinson)

Arundel - Grandparents:            George ARUNDEL and Hannah EYRE
               Grt grandparents:      Joseph EYRE and Hannah PYGOT
                                               Mathew ARUNDEL and Ann JACKSON

Wilkinson   "step" grandparents  Edward WILKINSON and Margaret TWIST
                    "gt  grandparents  John TWIST and Rebecca CRABTREE
                                                William WILKINSON and Jane ??

and just to put James' parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON
                                              Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

So......  the Cook and Pearson names are looking as though they are from GH's side of the family (unless they went totally off-piste!).

Naming children from grandparents, particularly female surnames,   etc is quite common and still goes on today.  Usually, the female  surnames point research "in the right" direction, but hey ho in the case of GH who  knows!!

Hi Goughy and All

Perhaps James Hood has gone off-Piste slightly, so as to speak and named one, after his Auntie Elizabeth Hood, who married William Cook at Tynemouth, to become Elizabeth Cook.

Rootschatters on the Richard Gibson thread suggested tentatively that Geo baptised Gateshead 1 October 1786 and Elizabeth baptised Newcastle possibly share the same father John Hood.

However, we don't have a Gibson in James Hood's childrens names, but we cannot confirm the suggestion either way, anyway.

Unused surnames:-

COOK
ALFRED
PEARSON

I do have the main parts of two HOOD Yorkshire Wills noted from Registers, where the second Witness was given as Pearson and Peirson.

May 1795 Mary Hood of Walkeringham, Notts, with reference to daughters Ann Simpson, widow and Dorothy Clayton, Spinster, with 2nd Witness Edm'd Pearson.

June 1795 Margaret Hood late of Howden, but now of Bubwith, Yorkshire, Spinster who bequeaths to my Cousin Jane Jackson, Daughter of Robert Jackson of Newbald Yorkshire. Matthew Tate of Bubwith, Farmer his heirs and assigns was to have the use of the closes, Lands and Hereditaments and Peal Estate and also Sole Executor. Witnesses were Geo Ion [or ?Jon] and John Peirson.

Noticed in the past that Witnesses to Wills, can be:- neighbours; family; Clerks or Solicitors.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy and All

Been considering that nearly all of James and Sarah Hood's children and especially the latter ones were boys. Therefore, James and Sarah Hood may not have had enough girls, to follow exactly as those names above, where we have matched both first and middle name of three children to an ancestor of James and Sarah Hood.

Therefore, only the boys middle name (surname Pearson, or Alfred) might apply, if the boy/s was/were named after a female ancestor:-

Perhaps George was an illegitimate child of an Elizabeth Cook, by a Hood, or John Hood the mariner of Selby had 'liaisons' in other other Ports or harbours.

Allegation/Bond[?] and Marriage
Banbridge Hood aged 22 (b. abt. 1746) and Elizabeth Pearson aged 24 (b. abt. 1744), York 14 December 1768.

Banbridge Hood marriage, St Mary, Beverley 15 December 1768.

As well as wanting to check more on Gateshead 1st October 1786 to see if the suggestion can be proven.

I will also try and check out the above Banbridge / Bainbridge because:-

I'm fairly certain Beverley was mentioned and not a product of my imagination problem, as I thought as a child fancy calling a place after a girl's name.

There were Banbridge / Bambridge / Bainbridge HOOD born Selby (seems only one baptism in transcriptions, but can't be sure) and although he died and his twin appeared to die, possibly a side-ways Hood relative named their son the same.

Bainbridge surname is appearing in "The Annual Monitor" one instance, is a couple where she has died a Quaker aged 80, taking her birth back into the 18th Century.
Although Bainbridge Hood, does not seem to feature, in the Society of Friends.

---------------

The Archives which hold some Yorkshire Quaker records including Selby, have implied, to expect a lengthy hunt, over more than one visit to do James childrens births, along with the Meetings records and then look at other Quaker places!

----------------

Also got to consider (as suggested on Rootschat), possibly my George was illegitimate. Also, I have this feeling of George Hood being educated but turning his back on a privileged life, or being paid off to disappear and make a life of his own, hence, buying the Cooper business at Selby.

---------------

But seeing dobfarm's find, a George Hood as Occupier in the 1813 Land Tax at Knottingley, coincidentally with a George Wilkinson the owner, showing up for only one year, makes me think stopover, enroute from somewhere, or George Wilkinson himself was involved, or perhaps George Hood's first abode at around the age of about 26.

---------------

Anyway, I can bet the very record I need is tucked away in an archive and not online.

It was clear that one of James Hood's descendants, were also searching their origin and seem to be stuck too.

We'll have to holiday in Yorkshire soon, perhaps some shops, might entice Mrs H?

Kind regards to you all, Mark

EDIT: sorry but noticed I had missed off HOOD surname for the Banbridge / Bambridge /Bainbridge Hood events at Selby.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 13:08 GMT (UK) »
An orphan or illegitimate child of a single mum being responsibly funded by the relief of the parish overseer who intern collect payment from a known father, the parish educate and later school the child in a trade. The father or adopted father could fund the child in later life in a business trade.

It has merit and was a common event those days-housekeeper to a young widower of means who's wife died young in child birth or illness , servant maids or barmaid girls that had contact with men of means.

I have 2  main line ancestor Gt granddads -one a son born illegitimate (one of five children of the odd couple) to a house keeper who took his widowed fathers surname and the other an illegitimate ancestor, a son of an innkeeper and the mother a barmaid who later married the innkeeper after his wife died.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth