Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159732 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 18 December 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Found this ...

Selby Poor Rate paid by Occupiers and Owners 1839

George Hood's (my 4 x Gt. G.) Gowthorpe Tannery & House was owned by William Proctor.
William Proctor of Selby was a Quaker, page 122 ...
https://archive.org/stream/journaloffriends1516frie

Seems some Proctors were linked to the Richardsons ...
i)  of Gt. Ayton?

[PDF] The Richardson family - Great Ayton
by Ian Pearce

and possibly
ii) of Low Lights Tannery and a Tannery at Whitby?

Records of a Quaker Family: The Richardsons of Cleveland 1889
https://archive.org/stream/recordsofquakerf00boyc

Deborah Proctor of Selby marrying Aaron Richardson; Cassons and other Selby characters mentioned, some touched on before.

The large book online about the Richardsons of Cleveland (Quakers) and their Tannery interests - but not one sniff of a mention of any Hood!!

Newspaper Sale in 1864
My 3 x Gt. G. John Hood of Selby married Sarah Richardson (born Selby per Census) at Sculcoates 1846 and continued the Gowthorpe, Selby Tannery of Mary Jackson.

In the 1839 Rate Book, I did notice a Mark Fothergill living adjacent to the Tannery at Gowthorpe, occupied by George Hood. If he is a son or brother of John Fothergill, he has Hood ancestry.

The Gowthorpe, Selby, Property owned by the Hoods, was a House divided into 3, a Brewery and Malt-kiln, Carpentry shop, warehousing & yard. Also a place, with a Malt-kiln at Wren Lane, Selby.

1839 - Names of those living in George Hood's properties, Gowthorpe, Selby Any Hood connection please:- 
Robert Wilkinson
William Penrose
Richard Nutt [in 1823 when owned by Mrs Clark - John Nutt]
Thos Bedford
John Elliott
Wd Farrington / Fanington

Thank you

Regards Mark

We tried looking it up at 'Silver surfers' but Selby Quaker Registers online (RG Series on Ancestry) only go to about 1781, but hoping to order a film, covering about 300 years into the 19th Cent.

Noticed the Quakers buried an individual listed as "Not a Quaker" too.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 22 December 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Following your line of thinking

George Pearson    (Illegitimate ?)   
 Baptism     22 Nov 1789      RAWCLIFFE BY GOOLE,YORK,ENGLAND   
 Mother's Name    Hannah Pearson   

No Father given -so who was the father

October 1784
To Rawcliffe [Rawcliffe Snaith] re Ann Pearson of Sutton
delivered of a Female child

Seems like the above George possibly had a sister, or half sister.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 22 December 16 19:42 GMT (UK) »
So you can't rule him in or rule him out and the baptism 1789 of George Pearson is the minimum age 56 in 1845 as he could be older. Yet its the only illegitimate child that fits the middle (Sur) names of James's children and near G Hood's round off birth year circa 1785-1787

Irrotating. isn't it  :-\ on name theories (poor law would have educated George and maybe into a trade.)
 in ......................................... out

Sod's law again. !!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

This COOKIN surname is very rare (the 1st witness on George Hood's 1815 Selby marriage).

The earliest COOKIN on Free BMD was a death of John COOKIN in 1838, District Runcorn.

I discovered two more Runcorn COOKINS in a 13th January 1844 Bolton Chronicle.

My 2 X Gt Grandfather, also George Hood, widower was resident in BOWDON, County of Chester when he married Cecilia Westley in Dec 1872 (1871 Census at Peel Causeway, Hale, with Charlotte Hood, nee Middleton).
Also 14th November 1872 when William Hood his Brother married Elizabeth Ann Foster Parish of Manchester, he gave his residence as BOWDON, too (Wm Hood's birthplace incorrectly transcribed as Sedley, on 1881 Chorlton upon Medlock Census).

In 1881 Beatrice M Hood, born Selby, was an Apprentice, at Chorlton on Medlock.

I posted on Rootschat Cheshire, asking for Thomas COOKIN died Runcorn ... Cookin family members

and initial replies here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762513.0

Seems there was a COOKIN family?

Cookin is so rare, I wonder if some link with Cookin and Cheshire alias County of Chester?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 08 January 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
It would seem there are quite a few Cookin/Cockin families in Chester, just found a Quaker marriage too

On the 15th day of the third month 1810 ~ JOHN COCKIN of Stockport, Cheshire, porter dealer. Son of RICHARD COCKIN of DONCASTER, County of YORK, glover, and Deborah his wife, she being deceased.

Mary ALLCARD dau of JAMES ALLCARD of London and Sarah his wife, also deceased.

Married at a Meeting in Leek, Staffs.

Witnesses: Oliver Sims, druggist, Stockport. George Jones, Stockport, draper and Francis West, Little Rinehall, farmer.

claire

EDIT: There are Hoods there too, an Ann HOOD married in ASTBURY in 1819 to a William LEES, one of the witnesses was a George Hood, but as luck would have it ~ it was only a BT, can't find an actual parish register to scrutinise the signature.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 08 January 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
It would seem there are quite a few Cookin/Cockin families in Chester, just found a Quaker marriage too

On the 15th day of the third month 1810 ~ JOHN COCKIN of Stockport, Cheshire, porter dealer. Son of RICHARD COCKIN of DONCASTER, County of YORK, glover, and Deborah his wife, she being deceased.

Mary ALLCARD dau of JAMES ALLCARD of London and Sarah his wife, also deceased.

Married at a Meeting in Leek, Staffs.

Witnesses: Oliver Sims, druggist, Stockport. George Jones, Stockport, draper and Francis West, Little Rinehall, farmer.

claire

EDIT: There are Hoods there too, an Ann HOOD married in ASTBURY in 1819 to a William LEES, one of the witnesses was a George Hood, but as luck would have it ~ it was only a BT, can't find an actual parish register to scrutinise the signature.

Hi Claire

Thank you, can anyone access a copy / Hood Signature, please? If not I'll try Archives.

Later in the life of my mystery George Hood 1830 to 1845, his business dealings (owner of the Tannery buildings, two of George Hood's Tenants; the Umpire in his Will) were all Quakers, or Independents.

A John Cockin and Joshua Cockin of Holmfirth / Halifax, were known Yorks Independents.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=520384.36

Selby Independent / Congregational came under Hull, but a minister occasionally attended from Halifax / Huddersfield.

Richard Cockin of Doncaster, Yorkshire was a Quaker, died 1845, aged 92. His Son John Cockin, being linked to Cheshire you found, is interesting.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=L_8pAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=%22the+annual+monitor%22+%22Richard+Cockin%22+Doncaster&source=bl&ots=8O__9DJnZ-&sig=WxnVoExpDWseJ4WJu3DmzH8_b1o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQr63Sj7PRAhUETJAKHdbWC1UQ6AEIGjAA

Regards Mark

EDIT: The Hoods at:-
Bardon Park, Leicestershire (had their own Chapel. Got their Tree, but not all their Tree relations might be listed) and
Hoods of Atherstone [North] Warwickshire were Clockmakers and Independents (N.C.)

Fothergill in 1848 listed under Soc of Friends, Selby, York, Thirsk &c. (possibly of Selby).

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 08 January 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if any help, but here (I believe) is my 2 X Gt. Grandfather George Hood, in the Altrincham 1871 Directory for Bowdon, Dunham Massey, Hale, Hale Barns, Peel Causeway, Ringway.

"Altrincham is a Market Town and Chapelry in the Parish of Bowdon and hundred of Bucklow" ... .

George Hood, Bachelor, a Commercial Traveller, Residence Bowdon, Father John Hood, Tanner, got married at Bowdon Church, Parish of Bowdon, County of Chester, to Charlotte Middleton 22nd August 1870.

I have added the other places of Worship anyway.

Whether George Hood's Grandfather (George Hood of Selby) had anything to do with the Cheshire Cookins or Cockins remains to be seen?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Ann Hood X Willaim Lees

marriage: Astbury
28 August 1819 (date taken from BT's family search)

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/churches/astbury.html

Manchester central library

Microfilm Astbury Church PR -number MFPR 828

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/directory_record/211501/st_mary_astbury/category/785/marriagesregisters

If you contact the library they shouldn't charge that much for a copy of the MF image
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 09 January 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
BT image is on FindMyPast:

28 August 1819 - William Lees of this parish, Sailor and Bachelor and Ann Hood (x) of this parish Spinster.  Witnesses:  George Hood and John Turner (possibly a church official as he is witness to a number of marriages).

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY