Author Topic: John Wilson watchmaker b 1715  (Read 1035 times)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
John Wilson watchmaker b 1715
« on: Thursday 06 October 16 22:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on John Wilson  c1715 watchmaker of Derry

Thank you
Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilson watchmaker b 1715
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
Closest I can see in Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World volume 2 is a John Wilson of Londonderry 1757-1773
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline watchmaker21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 November 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a few bits of information on this man.

He was sworn as a Freeman of Londonderry on 9th January 1748/9.  I cannot trace when he commenced in trade on his own account, presumably around the time he was Free of the City.  He entered a partnership with another from August 1774 to February 1775.  He appears to have retired in early 1776.

From the family history point of view, there is a death reported in the local paper in August 1800.  I cannot specifically say it was the watchmaker as it does not mention his occupation.  However a 'John Wilson' died in August 1800 at Fahan (just outside Londonderry) 'at a very advanced age'.  I cannot be certain it is the watchmaker, but it is most likely.

Another interesting point is that his brother William appointed him as the executor of his will when it was drafted in February 1769.  In that will, William (the brother) was noted as a farmer at Rashee, Ballyclare.  The suggestion is that the family may have been from the Rashee, Ballyclare area.

My interest is in him as a watchmaker.  If anyone has any further details, then I would be interested.

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
In February 1740 a John Wilson married Margaret Houston