Author Topic: Skeletons in the Closet?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline kithandkinusa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletons in the Closet?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 November 16 06:20 GMT (UK) »
It always makes me feel more connected to my ancestors to know they were real people who sometimes made mistakes. :)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 November 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a distinct possibility that the woman sentnced to 6months hard labour in a Liverpool court was my great grandmother tho the ages given in mewspapers are 10 years out ....there are a lot of co-incidences and  a mug shot where we see a family resemblance

her common -law husband pleaded for leniency saying he'd instigated this "crime"  no i want to know if thee are any prison records or evidence that the pair got back together after their prison sentence

it's on a topic here "what happened to the babies 1907 " Lottie roberts

My family believe they were in fact doing society a favour ..helping pregnant single women + childless couples ..the govt at the time only offered the workhouse ..and unwed mothers + childless women were stigmatised .

mind you it will knock out some DNA evidence of people who are "sure " their grandmother is the child of their great grandmother  ..doubts of paternity and maternity are reasonable for at least  14 children between 1906 and 1907 ...some of the birth  mothers were Irish and one was  Lotties own baby having found a good home for her first child my grandmother in 1900 and learning that 4s per week could be obtained from birth father or birth mothers family to board out a baby it must have seemed like a decent proposal and they would have had travel costs and wet nurse costs loke surrogate mums today

"Baby-trafficking " is headline grabbing news and sounds appalling til the transcript of court case is read and all mitigating circumstances heard .

sorry not sure where the correct URL is
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline 2dandan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 December 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
A relative of mine namely Robert Brookmire, Maryhill, Glasgow got involved in a slanging match with 2 local associates in May 1863.

After a short time both went their separate ways. They met again about a week later and again fell out. They split up but met again several hours later when a violent confrontation took place. Brookmire pulled a knife out on both associates and a fight ensued. His opponents took the knife from him and stabbed him to death.

They were quickly arrested and at a subsequent trial at Glasgow High Court they were found not guilty and not proven respectfully.

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 December 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
My own Grandad! Convicted of allowing a horse to stray on the highway!
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Bigamy's popular.  I've 3 I've found so far.

1] A definite bigamist in the 1940s, who was in court for bigamy.  My mum's uncle.
2] A definite bigamist in 1927, who was in court for bigamy/annulment in 1936. My grandfather's wife bigamously married after they'd split up but never divorced.
3] A most likely/highly probably bigamist in 1880, who I've found based on a chance remark made by a lady in her Golden wedding anniversary newspaper interview in 1938 which made me search for the "other brother" she mentioned as marrying her sister - and I found him (he'd used his real name for his 1st marriage and his "adopted" surname for the 2nd marriage).  My GG-grandmother's two brothers.

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
16 Oct. 1651

"We present Joane Andrews, the wife of John Andrews for an infamous scould and a breaker of the peace and for Conteming Authority in abusing the Governor. It is ordered by this court that Joane Andrews is either forthwith to pay forty shillings fine, or else to receive corporall punishment by having 25 stripes upon the bare skine. John Andrews stands bound for his wifes appearance at the next court in the bond of tenn pounds, for her good behaviour."

And that was just the beginning for John and Joane [my 8X great grandparents], a husband and wife team of serial blasphemers, disorderly drunks, petty thieves and all round neigbors from hell.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mainegenie/ANDREWS.htm
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow.....that's a real interesting past, it would make a great storyline Erato.....you could get a book out of that  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 December 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather 

OBTAINING A HORSE BY A TRICK

Stephen Wood, hawker (on bail) was charged with stealing a horse, value £10, the property of Charles William Wall, at Lichfield on October 18th.  Mr Boddam prosecuted, and Mr Kettle defended.  The prosecutor, who is a boatman, living at Alrewas, bought a horse at an auction sale at Lichfield, and afterwards took it to a hotel in that city.  The prisoner came there after him, and arranged to buy the horse from him.  They went into the hotel, and at prisoner’s request prosecutor made out a receipt for £10, the amount arranged to be paid for the animal.  The receipt read, “Bought, brown cob of C.W. Wall, at £10.  Received £1.”  The receipt bore a stamp, but it was not cancelled.  Wood paid £1, and asked prosecutor to accompany him to the Smithfield, where he said he would pay him the remaining £9.  On the way to the Smithfield prisoner asked to be allowed to get on the horse’s back.  Prosecutor consented, but held the bridle.  Suddenly, however, prisoner snatched the bridle out of his hand, and then galloped away.  He was followed to Birmingham, and arrested at 32, Summer Hill Street by Detective Taylor.  Prisoner then said that he had bought the horse, and was willing to pay for it as soon as he had the money.  Wall could not get blood out of a stone. – Mr Kettle submitted that the transaction was a bona fide one, and that the prisoner intended to pay for the horse when he had sold it. – His Lordship said the trick was a very old one, and it had been held, as long as two centuries back, that it was a theft to obtain anything by a trick.  – The jury found the prisoner guilty, and his lordship, in sentencing him to six months hard labour, said that if the prisoner had stolen the horse from a field in an honest way, so to speak, his offence would not have been so bad, but he had tried to defeat the law by a trick.
(17 Dec 1889, Birmingham Daily Post)

"If he had stolen the horse from a field in an honest way" - priceless!
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 December 16 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Criminals, multi-generational on two unconnected branches and some ancestors siblings transported.
Suicides, sadly
Illegitimacy, especially in the 1700's and early 1800's and some with children to numerous fathers.
Alcoholics and I suspect a drug addict (indirect prolific female criminal b late 1800's).
Some worrying consanguinity in one branch in the 1800's
Poaching, neighbourhood disputes and drunken brawling in pubs
Running away from an apprenticeship to join the army (Napoleonic Wars)
Ancestor who deserted his wife and family

Possibly,... but both of these are unproven
A female ancestor "involved" with the leaders of a notorious coining gang (Yorkshire 1700's)
A criminal ancestor beheaded by the gibbet (Yorkshire 1600's)