Author Topic: WW2 commendations Liverpool  (Read 1926 times)

Offline steph54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 commendations Liverpool
« on: Sunday 16 October 16 03:27 BST (UK) »
Henry (Harry) Spencer worked for the Liverpool Gas Works and received a commendation in WW2 for brave conduct in civil defence which is mentioned in the Liverpool Daily Post 25th Jan 1941. Family stories say that he removed an unexploded bomb from a gas tank in the street and saved the whole street from being destroyed, although this seems unlikely. Is there anywhere that I can find out what he actually did do to receive the commendation? Many thanks.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 commendations Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 16 13:50 BST (UK) »
This will be the Christmas Blitz - 21st/22nd December 1940. The newspapers should list here bombs fell.

I once found a report by the Liverpool Police listing where bombs fell. Someone will have the link. Then you can cross reference bombs falling next to gas works. He may not be mentioned in the first articles. Saving a street would warrant a bravery award I would have thought.

Ken

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
This is probably where you found the newspaper mention:-

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/awards1941.html

Blue

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 06:02 BST (UK) »
I am just not old enough to remember the war - I was born just after the war and remember rationing - but to my knowledge the only Gas Tank is here in Garston,Liverpool ???...can someone put me wise please ....we have a 92 year old who drinks in our local pub and his memory is excellent - can we find out if this happened in Garston ?  if so I will ask Bob does he remember anything about it ....we do have a Spencer family here in Garston.....

have you seen this ??

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/campaign-honour-wwii-garston-gas-3368898

could you have the surname wrong ??...apologies - this was November 1940 - yours was Jan 1941 - so obviously a different man  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
after reading that article again - Harry spent 2 days defusing the bomb and he was awarded the George Cross .
the event took place on 29th and 30th November 1940 at Garston Gasworks - 6,000 people were evacuated .....surely this didn't happen again a couple of weeks later in January 1941 ??...is Harry Newgass - Harry Spencer ??....seems a little odd for the name of a man who saved a community from a Gasworks explosion to be named NEWGASS ???

I think Harry Newgass IS Harry Spencer ???  anyone any thoughts ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Name as listed in Gazette:-

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35053/supplement/488?mainwebsite=1

On page 486 it says, "COMMENDATIONS. Those named below have been brought to notice for brave conduct in civil defence."

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
after reading that article again - Harry spent 2 days defusing the bomb and he was awarded the George Cross .
the event took place on 29th and 30th November 1940 at Garston Gasworks - 6,000 people were evacuated .....surely this didn't happen again a couple of weeks later in January 1941 ??...is Harry Newgass - Harry Spencer ??....seems a little odd for the name of a man who saved a community from a Gasworks explosion to be named NEWGASS ???

I think Harry Newgass IS Harry Spencer ???  anyone any thoughts ??

Hi Al,

This is a different incident. H Spencer was an employee of Liverpool Gas company. The Gazette says he was an engineman. I might be wrong but I think a commendation in this context is official praise or thanks or recognition. It may have been done by the mention of his name in the Gazette. There may be further information about the incident in the newspapers. Probably nothing more online.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find any mentions using an online newspapers' free search facility there is some online coverage of WW2 Liverpool in the local newspapers but it looks like this incident was not covered by the local newspapers.

As H Spencer worked for Liverpool Gas Company you could try the gas archives:-

http://www.gasarchive.org/Research.htm

Blue