Author Topic: Caroline Marshall - related to Ann Marshall ? Two wives of Joseph Sewell.  (Read 980 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello people,

this topic loosely follows on from an earlier post
"Sewell family of Eachwick - disappears after 1841"

However I think the new question is different enough to justify a new posting.

The story is this:
Joseph Sewell marries Ann Marshall in Oct 1861, Newcastle.
He then separates from Ann and starts a new family with Caroline Marshall (circa 1885).
Ann eventually dies and Joseph marries Caroline (1895, Gateshead).

----> I am wondering what, if any, relationship existed between Ann and Caroline Marshall.

Ann Marshall born 1839, Newcastle UT
Caroline Marshall born 1863/4, Shieldfield
Joseph Sewell born 1839, Eachwick, Nthbld.

The clue that I have been following comes from the 1881 census:
Caroline was 'sister' to the head of the house she stayed in.
However I don't see the head of the house.
In that same house is William Thomas Fenwick, newborn, son of the head of the house.
I have followed William to the 1891 census in order to identify his parents and find Caroline's sister. So far it has been a long plod through lots of data. Maybe you have a better approach.
Alternatively there is the 1871 census, in which she is called Carolina Marshall.
Her parents and siblings are listed. But I have not yet been able to match one to a marriage with a Mr Fenwick.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
David C

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Marshall - related to Ann Marshall ? Two wives of Joseph Sewell.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A tree has Caroline Marshall's parents  as Francis Marshall and Isabella Carr. Isabella according to this died 1863 and Francis married Alice Fenwick in 1865. Alice had a son William Thomas in 1857 (he is possibly showing as Thomas Marshall in 1871 census). So Caroline and William Thomas(or Thomas William) may have been step sister and brother. Obviously I cannot vouch for the veracity of this information but it is an explanation worth researching further.

It was against the law for widowers to marry the sisters of their dead spouses until the law was changed in, I think,1907. Although this law was undoubtedly broken do bear this in mind when  considering the posible relationship between Ann and Caroline.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Marshall - related to Ann Marshall ? Two wives of Joseph Sewell.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William,

I had to sketch that on a piece of paper to see how that works - that and a good breakfast.

Looks like the connection, if it exists at all, is founded on a number of inter-marriages, in which case there is probably no blood connection and no story to pursue.

I'll happily call that an end to the investigation but leave the topic open for a wee while in case anyone else has anything to add.

Joseph Sewell had a number of children with his 2nd wife, Caroline Marshall starting from 1886.
They are living together as man and wife in 1891.
Meantime, first wife Ann Marshall is living with one of her grownup children in 1891.
She dies in 1895 (age 56) and Joseph & Caroline officially marry later the same year.
It would seem that the second marriage could not be certified until the death of the first wife.
Whatever the underlying story, it looks like we can rule out any scandalous carryings-on with a member of Ann's immediate family. The Marshall surname is a coincidence.

Thanks
-David C