Author Topic: 1st Somerset regt of Militia - James Ellis  (Read 5059 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Somerset regt of Militia - James Ellis
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Computer says no!  Heather in my library says yes.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 03 December 16 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Go Heather!!!
Looking for:  Bird, Webb, Prosser, Dudley, Page
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Just received this document (Allegation and bond) from Devon archive to show the oath taken by James Ellis upon his marriage to Ann Webb. It does not give any more information than is already known.
Phil
Links to: King Beli Mawr "The Great" of the Druids of the Celtic Britons born circa 110 BC, King Henry VII, William Cartwright (poet),
Pilgrim Fathers, The Gunpowder Plot, Sir Thomas Lawrence (portrait painter), Matthew Holbeche Bloxam, John Cadbury (chocolatier),
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 10 December 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Phil  Arrived yesterday at Wilts library HQ, should be on the next delivery to my local library Mon or Tues.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 10 December 16 15:46 GMT (UK) »
....Arrived yesterday at Wilts library HQ, should be on the next delivery to my local library Mon or Tues.
Hi maxD,
The excitement is mounting, just hope it gives us more information to establish James Ellis movements.
I've have been busy writing to various sites, including the Museum at Twickenham, but no one seems to have any more information about the ancestry of W.W. Ellis.
Regards. Phil
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 12 December 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
To all who have an interest in this thread, the status of where we are with this can be said with these unresolved questions...

1.   Are the James Ellis and Ann Webb who married in Exeter Cathedral in 1804 the parents of William Webb Ellis?

2.   If the couple married in Exeter Cathedral are the parents of W. W. E. then what is the military career timeline for James Ellis, i.e. before the 1st Somerset regiment up to the 3rd Dragoon Guards?

3.   Where was Ann Webb born, was it, Upton-St-Leonards; Clifton, Bristol; Alton, Hampshire; Southampton or somewhere else and when was she born?

4.   Who were the parents of Ann Webb? Were they William Webb and Mary Freeman from Upton-St-Leonards; Thomas Webb and Constance Newlin from Alton and Southampton respectively or were they different people?

5.   Where was James Ellis born, was it, The Precinct of the Close, Exeter; Upton-upon-Severn; Kiddall Hall, near Leeds; Scarborough or somewhere else and when was he born?

6.   Who were the parents of James Ellis? Were they Thomas Ellis and Ann from Upton-upon-Severn?

Phil
 Sir Barnes Wallis

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Book arrived.  Collecting this morning.  Send me a PM with your direct email.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Philnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
To everyone who is interested, having now put together the military timeline for James Ellis it appears that Lieutenant James Ellis of the 1st Somerset regiment of Militia, who married in 1804, is not the correct father to William Webb Ellis.
The attachment shows a career which does not include the 1st Somerset, although, there are a couple of gaps in this timeline which are not accounted for.
It can be clearly shown, for the year 1804, that he was in the 15th regiment of Foot and later in that year he transfers to the 18th regiment of Foot. Unless, of course, someone else can find a connection to the Somerset regiment.
This unfortunately means there is still no clear evidence to suggest where James Ellis was born or when and therefore the time and place of Ann Webb’s birth is also unknown.
It has been an interesting exercise in pinning-down James Ellis, thanks to Max and Ainslie for your help, but we are no further forward in finding the ancestry of William Webb Ellis’s parents. Any suggestions?
Phil
 Sir Barnes Wallis