Author Topic: Another twin puzzle  (Read 1660 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Another twin puzzle
« on: Friday 11 November 16 16:08 GMT (UK) »
A puzzle - are these twins or not?

Charles TroWsdale was born in 1845, birth registered in Marylebone Sep quarter 1 67 MMN Hayter. He was brother to a direct ancestor.

Also registered in Marylebone 1845 same quarter 1 206 is a Male TroUsdale MMN Hayter. Transcribed on ancestry as Female but the long capital J of the forename above interferes.

From GRO index
TROWSDALE, CHARLES       HAYTER     Order
GRO Reference: 1845  D Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01  Page 167   
TROUSDALE, -       HAYTER     Order
GRO Reference: 1845  D Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01  Page 206

I can understand any transcription error with the Trow(u)sdale name onto the GRO handwritten indexes. But if these 2 were twins, why would the registrations not be on the same or consecutive page? If they weren't twins, I have no other Trow(u)sdale married to a Hayter in the tree.

Cannot find death reg for Male trousdale. Any  ideas, please? Thanks.

Josey

ADDED: Charles was baptised on 17 Jul 1846 along with a cousin Elizabeth Naptin.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another twin puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Twins would have been registered together so have to appear either on the same page of the birth register or consecutive pages (such as one child last entry on page 5 then other child first entry on page 6).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
It would be unusual for twins not to be registered on the same day, but I suppose it could have happened. (I can't think of a reason why, though.... I've seen twins baptised on different days, but I'm guessing one of them was sick since he died soon after)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if Charles birth was registered twice, mistakes do happen. Maybe they registered him when born then went back when they had a name.  It was still early days for registration.  ???

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I have twins that weren't registered together & don't have the same numbers nor are they registered in the same quarter!

They were born at the end of June & one twin's birth & death appear in the June quarter.  The other one live abit longer & died in July, his birth & death are in the September quarter.

Jay

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if Charles birth was registered twice, mistakes do happen. Maybe they registered him when born then went back when they had a name.  It was still early days for registration.  ???

You could be on to something there.... I guess ordering a birth certificate/PDF can't prove your theory - the two entries might have the same date of birth, parents, place of birth etc., but you can't be sure whether they're twins or one and the same person!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
If they were the same person I would expect the unnamed birth to have a lower page number than Charles, but in this case he doesn't.

Jay

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
If they were the same person I would expect the unnamed birth to have a lower page number than Charles, but in this case he doesn't.

Jay

Oops, didn't look at that  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 November 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
You could be on to something there.... I guess ordering a birth certificate/PDF can't prove your theory - the two entries might have the same date of birth, parents, place of birth etc., but you can't be sure whether they're twins or one and the same person!
Thanks for all your ideas. Hmmm...at least NOT being the same dob, parents, address etc would rule twins out. I think it is worth a £6 punt.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON