Author Topic: 28 May 1944 Basil Anthony Ledbury Age 21 Royal Army Service Corps  (Read 894 times)

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
28 May 1944 Basil Anthony Ledbury Age 21 Royal Army Service Corps
« on: Saturday 12 November 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
My uncle, Tony, was born in 1920, in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.  He volunteered in the Army straight after his older brother William was called up in !941. Tony joined the Royal Army Service Corps as a driver in the Middle East.  His regimental no. 127380. He was transporting amunition in a truck when it received a direct hit!  His memorial is based at Knightsbridge War Cemetery Tobruk AL Butnan, Libya!

Tony's father was Albert Ellsmore Ledbury and mother Mildred Florence Lily Ledbury!

Tony and my father William spent their school days in a boarding school, Dauntsey's in Devizes.  They both hated it there and were thrilled when they were able to leave and go home.  But, on the day they finished, their father picked them up and took them straight to an RAF recruiting office.  They spent 6 weeks there and hated it.  Their grandfather on hearing this bought them out!  But when war was declared they knew what they were both going to do.

My father William, who is now 98 has never forgotten his brother and the sacrifice he made!  Such a young life lost forever.  I too feel for all our brave fighters who gave their all for their Country! RIP
Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN