Author Topic: Family crests - JOHNSON  (Read 2732 times)

Offline shumagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking the people who made me what I am.....
    • View Profile
Family crests - JOHNSON
« on: Monday 25 July 05 07:33 BST (UK) »
   'Morning all.

When I first joined Rootschat, I took my family crest, from a choice of 7, from forum profile info. I have never  bothered researching this area and was pleased to think that even a common old surname like Johnson  merited a crest.
     However, my parents and my brother have recently both independently discovered crests for Johnson......surprise, surprise, everyone is different and neither of theirs is shown in the profile info.
     I can see that this is probably because each particular area or clan had their own crest, but how do I go about finding my own true one? Virtually every Sunday supplement has a catalogue offering goods with a family crest on, but how genuine can they be?
As far as they're concerned there is only one crest for Johnsons everywhere. Not only that, my Johnson ancestors were very poor people (5 of my father's 8 gt grandparents died in the workhouse!)
so would they even have had a crest? Is this delusions of grandeur on my part?
     This is probably a boring /obvious post to everyone, but if someone would take the time to reply, I would be delighted.
     Thanks, Shumagh
Johnson, Buggins. Humphries,Pratt, Tibbetts, all Oxfordshire.
Fox. Phillips,Staffordshire

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family crests
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 05 11:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but the fact is you don't have a crest.  Coats of arms were granted to individuals, not to families.  Unless you can prove descent from a particular individual to whom the arms were granted you are not entitled to use the crest.  Nowadays it's only a bit of fun, despite what commercial outfits might try to sell you.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline shumagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking the people who made me what I am.....
    • View Profile
Re: Family crests
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 05 11:53 BST (UK) »

......which is what I suspected! Thank you for the reply; I shall adjust my profile when I think of something suitable. I'm really impressed by the standard of artwork some people use.

Shumagh
Johnson, Buggins. Humphries,Pratt, Tibbetts, all Oxfordshire.
Fox. Phillips,Staffordshire