Author Topic: Margaret Smith death  (Read 4577 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Smith death
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
you have found the right Smiths, worked out where John/Matthew is at various times and given us a massive amount to add to our trees and to work with in the future.

As soon as I noticed that Alan had posted on this thread, I knew that it was very likely a breakthrough was on the way  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 14:08 GMT (UK) »
As soon as I noticed that Alan had posted on this thread, I knew that it was very likely a breakthrough was on the way  :D

Indeed, but your contribution, now and on earlier threads, has been extremely significant and helpful as well. Take some credit!!

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 07 January 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I have just come back to this after taking time out for the festive season.

Jen/Alan, if you are reading this can you just check what I think is the case with this family...

Familysearch has the following offspring for William and Christiana .... William, Joseph Dove, Thomas Metcalfe, Robert Ridley, Mary Ann, Margaret Sarah, Jane

May 6th

1818 - William Smith married Christian Dove in Marske in Cleveland.

1841 - Christian and William Smith in Tynemouth, with Thomas, Robert and Jane...William is a shoemaker, Christian not born in county.

1851 - Christian and William, with Marianna, Margaret Sarah and Jane. William's occupation has changed and Christiana was born in Redcar.

1851 Thomas Metcalfe Smith is in Redcar, in the household of his uncle, Joseph Dove.

Do you think I am looking at the right family all the way through?

I honestly did not want to find my ancestors in Redcar and Marske!

Cheers,

Jen :)

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Torrenscrew

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
sorry to revive such an old thread...... but its the only name ive been able to match to a medal my great grandad had in his war box, it belonged to a 49148 pvt william garbutt smith of the royal army medical corps its a ww1 service medal. me and my family are from sunderland so i would guess its the same person as named above.

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 April 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
sorry to revive such an old thread...... but its the only name ive been able to match to a medal my great grandad had in his war box, it belonged to a 49148 pvt william garbutt smith of the royal army medical corps its a ww1 service medal. me and my family are from sunderland so i would guess its the same person as named above.

Start a new thread with those details (his name) in the WW1 section https://www.rootschat.com/forum/world-war-one/?PHPSESSID=5bsijl28998gafgljnvislbin6
The lads in their will give you loads of information on his service.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
I have no problem with this thread being revived! It's always good to hear about the lives of distant family members. But I would agree that it makes sense to start a new thread in WW1, where there are experts a-plenty!  :D