Author Topic: Todd and Buchanan mystery in Glasgow  (Read 10451 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Todd and Buchanan mystery in Glasgow
« Reply #54 on: Monday 01 November 21 19:33 GMT (UK) »
That's fine. Glad you've got it sorted out.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BurrGardner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 01 April 22 15:51 BST (UK) »
Dear RootsChat Friends,

I am back on the trail of the Todd Family, which many were so kind to contribute to last year.  Full disclosure: depending upon how much material I can garner I would like to write an historical novel about these most interesting ancestors.

Here are my current lines of inquiry:
•   We know that David Todd was a very successful cotton mill operator. Where did he get the money to build his mills? I found a reference to a purchase of land by John (likely David’s father because his son, John, was only 5 yrs old at the time) and David. So, was John wealthy enough to help David buy the land? If so, how did he come by his wealth?
•   Skoosh, you were kind enough to provide links to two articles concerning “Todd’s partner in Springfield.” However, I don’t know the name of this partner (several names are included in the articles). Could the partner have been the money behind the mill ventures?
•   Scritsal, you say you have plenty of information on the Todds. I am hoping that you know a lot about their businesses that you are willing to share. John and Charles were in partnership with their father. What about David’s other children? Were they also partners?
•   Scritsal, you mention the finding of the glass bottle in the Buchanan’s Lair 50 of Ramshorn cemetery with instructions for the embalmment of Charles Todd in Paris in 1841. What is the date on the article? This has got to be the connection to Margaret Buchanan; it would be too much of a coincidence otherwise. My question is: weren’t those lairs expensive, for the “gentry,” implying that the Buchanans were people of means? If so, it contrasts with of Susanne Buchanan’s statement that Margaret was laborer in one of the Todd mills, only 12 or 13 at the time she and Charles got together.
•   What was Charles doing in Paris in 1840? At the time, he is 49 years old, long past the customary age for affluent young people’s “Grand Tour” of the time.
•   I found an Ancestry entry indicating that George Todd (David’s youngest son) may have been in New York City in the summer of 1837. Can anyone confirm that he was and, if so, what he was doing there? Conversely, does anyone have any evidence that he could NOT have been there? I am inclined to believe that he was because the document has the same middle name (Sidney), lists birthplace as Scotland, occupation as weaver, and age as “abt 32” (he was 33).
•   Susanne notes that John (eldest son of David) ended up with large inheritances from Charles (who was also his business partner, along with their father, David) and his sister Arthur. Was Arthur a partner in the business as well? If not, where did her money come from? Was she ever married and perhaps inherited from her husband?
•   Can anyone confirm Scritsal’s assertion that under 19th century Scots law a wife did not legally take her husband’s name?
•   Tony Frith, you mention that David’s eldest son, John, did marry the mother of his children after his father’s death. Do you have any support? Perhaps a marriage document?
•   Susanne, you mention researching a book that has Todd family information in it. Can you share the name of the book and how I can obtain it?
•   I have a bit of a conundrum on which I invite input: David Todd’s father on Ancestry shows up as Cornelius, David being born in 1864.
o   However, there is a John Todd, closely related to David’s business dealings, which I have assumed to be his father. David’s first son was named John and tradition was that the first son was named for the father’s father: http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/births.htm
o   Susanne gives David’s birthdate as 1851. This date makes a whole lot more sense, since in 1773 David signs a contract for an investment. If he were born in 1864 he would have been a bit young to do so, being only 9 years old. If he was born in 1851 he would have been 21 or 22. Susanne, do you have names of David’s parents or any documentation on his birthdate?
Many thanks in advance.

BurrGardner

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 01 April 22 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Burr, the Ramshorn Kirk's burial ground was jam packed so the merchants bought the hill above the cathedral and laid out The Necropolis. The Ramshorn was not for the working class.
The first Highland Society in Glasgow was that of the Clan Buchanan, websites below.

https://www.ramshorn.co.uk
 http://www.buchanansociety.com

Cheers,
Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 01 April 22 16:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone confirm Scritsal’s assertion that under 19th century Scots law a wife did not legally take her husband’s name?
Under Scots Law a wife is not obliged to take her husband's surname, and to this day a married woman is named in legal documents as xxx yyy or zzz, where xxx is her given name(s), yyy her maiden surname and zzz her husband's surname. So yes, I think I would agree with Scritsal.

Except that by the late 19th century most married women did, in practice, use their husband's surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 01 April 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
I have a bit of a conundrum on which I invite input: David Todd’s father on Ancestry shows up as Cornelius, David being born in 1864.
Don't trust anything you find on Ancestry, MyHeritage or any other commercial web site unless it's an image of an original document.

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 02 April 22 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Burr

How interesting you are thinking of writing a book on the Todds. Good luck with that.
Scritsal has a copy of the book compiled for our Buchanan Reunion last October.
Answers to questions :
Arthur was not married but brought up Charles and Margaret Buchanan's daughters on Charle's death in Paris from Scarlett fever while about to embark on the Grand Tour with his daughter Margaret.

Arthur inherited a large sum of money on Charle's death to take care of his family. Scritsal has copies of Charles and Arthurs wills. Arthur was independantly  wealthy probably from her Father and had a large home Broadlands in Kelso . She was not a partner in the mills that I am aware of.

David Todd was a cotton merchant and had a warehouse in Glasgow before building the mills so there would have been equity there.

I will forward your questions to my genealogy friend Barbara who researched much of the information on the Todds and she may help with information.

Best wishes
Susanne
Susanne

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 21 April 22 11:49 BST (UK) »
This October there will be an inauguration of the first Buchanan chief since the 17th century. John Michael Baillie Hamilton Buchanan is the man, no mention in the paper of a free bar.  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 22 April 22 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Skoosh

Thanks for the heads up but a bit off the radar for us down here in NZ at present. Too many forms, swabs and general indecisiveness with travel. BUT I will get the local Buchanans for a whisky soiree to wish the new Chief well.

We have a bus load of the Buchanans from our Reunion and book launch last October wanting to tour the places we have discovered in Scotland and UK pertaining to the Todds and Buchanans.  Perhaps we could drop in for a wee dram with the Chief !!!

Thanks again
Susanne

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 22 April 22 12:35 BST (UK) »
Susan, this clan chief in waiting has awarded himself no less than two hyphens which is quite preposterous so I omitted them. ;D
 However, Buchanan's Black & White Whisky would do the trick whatever the circumstances. ;D

Bests.
Skoosh.