Author Topic: Look up Bodleian Library Oxford please  (Read 808 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up Bodleian Library Oxford please
« on: Monday 12 December 16 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I kow this is probably a long shot but wonder if anyone would be able to look something up at the above please? It is something from "the works" of a 17thC ancestor and quoted in the History of Oxfordshire and states his "autograph" is seen but doesn't say which book it is in. Have emailed the librarians there and they only do research for stidents etc.

I know it sounds vague, I have attached the article. The para is the 3rd down beginning "Prescote...". The reference 36 footnote says "36 The Bodleian copy appears to have the author's autograph" Sorry - I can't see how to attach but if anyone can help or is interested I'll happily send it via email

Thank you for any advice, you can imagine how exciting it would be to see William's signature!
Cheers
Meegan

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Bodleian Library Oxford please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meegan :)

You'd need to find someone who has a Reader's Card.  Here's a link showing how to get one:
https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/using/getting-a-readers-card

As you can see, it wouldn't be a simple process but you never know who might be reading this.

Good luck :)
Carol (Oxford born and bred)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The Bodleian seem to be very reluctant to allow non-students/academics access.  We tried a few years ago because they hold some original papers from the early 1600s which were the basis of a published book which referenced an ancestor but didn't give much detail on the "interview" taken with his son.  The book was based on various interviews taken.  We were hoping it might help identify his parentage.  Mum phoned them regarding the papers twice and they said they would get back to her but never did.  I just wish I'd know when I was at university (not that we were researching then) as I would have had far less problems gaining access. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both. I have hopefully managed to get someone at a university here in Qld to look it up for me and they may be able to get what I need
Many thanks
Meegan