Author Topic: 'transported' - William Woodham circa 1830  (Read 3619 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 'transported' - William Woodham circa 1830
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 December 16 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I have again posted on the other thread.   The chap 'transported' circa 1830 turns out to be a William WOODHOUSE, who married at St Johns C of E Parramatta in December 1829.   Ancestry have transcribed the Application to marry as WOODHAM.  That is a mis-read.  Here is the link to the other thread.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761088.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 December 16 00:47 GMT (UK) »
At the Lent Assizes 1829, County of Wilts   

William WOODHAM, Larceny, 12 months Imprisonment.   Others on same page received 7 years transportation. 

A sentence of 12 months would NOT result in transportation to any of the penal colonies in the Antipodes.  This was in the era of sailing ships, not steam ships.    In the late 1820s it took around four to five months to get from Plymouth, England to Port Jackson, New South Wales.   

JM    I posted same message on the other thread.   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 December 16 03:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree, JM, which is why i suggested (reply#13) that possibly the person who supplied the information for the baptism record thought that he may have been transported as, perhaps, he never returned to Easton Royal.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk