Author Topic: Dochertys of Richard Street  (Read 836 times)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dochertys of Richard Street
« on: Monday 19 December 16 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick question. My ancestor John Docherty (whose parents are Daniel Docherty and Mary Mcdiarmid) is living at 49 Richard street near the Anderston area in the 1871 Census with his own family. In the 1855 valuation rolls, there is a Daniel Docherty who is the tenant and occupier of 49 Richard Street. So far so good!

The thing thats confusing me is that I can find no Dochertys living at 49 Richard street between these two dates, might have expected to have found them there in the 51 or 61 censuses?

The only thing I wondered was that maybe 49 Richard street was a tenement building and so is just an unconnected coincidence that both Daniel and John both lived there some 16 years apart.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Dochertys of Richard Street
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 December 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

The 1861 census shows at least 73 people (multiple households) resided at 49 Richard Street, so certainly a tenement.

It may not be the same Daniel (John's father) who showed at the address in 1855. Is this John's family in 1861?

Mary Dougherty 38
Helen Dougherty 21
John Dougherty 19 Potter b. Paisley
Daniel Dougherty 15
Agnes Dougherty 13
Mary Dougherty 11
Margt Dougherty 9

Address: 6 Finnieston Lane, Glasgow/Anderston

Was Daniel Snr still alive in 1861?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dochertys of Richard Street
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Richard Street was all tenements and was an area prone to a lot of moves and a lot of over crowding.  The only bit of Richard Street that remains is at the back of the Marriott hotel.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others