Author Topic: WW1 battlefeild tour in France - August 2017  (Read 474 times)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
WW1 battlefeild tour in France - August 2017
« on: Tuesday 20 December 16 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Another chatter and I are planning and started arranging to head to the French battlefields of WW1 with a group of Canadian armed forces folks next August for a 10 day guided tour headed by the Battle Honours Canada Tours a part of Battle Honours out of the UK near London, England.

I am arranging to go to this significant event through Battle Honours Canada who is heading the tour to the varios Battlefields of which several of my ancestors fought bravely. Sadly some gave up thier lives for us and did not return to Canada and are now resting in French cemeteries close to the battlefields where they fought. When I get there, I will not only be interested in finding out more about the battles, but also info regarding my ancestors that fought there and in the surrounding area. I will also be extending my “vacation” in France to moving onto the UK where I can do some more family tree tracing.

I am willing to gather and share more information about this tour with you and invite any and all interested Canadian RootsChatters wanting to know know more about this European Battlefield Tour taking place August 12th to August 23rd, 2017. What I can share now is that Battle Honours Canada on behalf of The Essex & Kent Scottish Regiment is conducting this Tour which will include a visit to Dieppe's Red Beach, a visit to Vimy Ridge, Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge, and end at the Hochwald Forest battlefield where the Tilston I Monument will be erected. Part of the tour will include staying at the inn called the "Hotel Haus Nachtigall", which overlooks the Hochwald Battlefield.

I just thought it would be nice to have other chatters join us on the trip. For those interested, please indicate your interest in going and if you want more information about it.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England