Author Topic: Lazy Research  (Read 6836 times)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Lazy Research
« on: Saturday 24 December 16 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Folks,
I have been tracing the Bellamy family from Yaxley in Huntingdonshire,specifically Robert Green Bellamy b 1816 and his wife Charlotte Crane b 1820 and children George 1840 d 1841,Robert Green 1841,John Crane 1847 and Sarah Ann 1851,all together in Yaxley for 1851 census.Beyond that i found nothing for later census,thought Robert Green Snr may have died but nothing there.Carried out general search for Charlotte and found New South Wales,Australia shipping list for the family in Dec 1852,sadly Sarah Ann had died on the voyage.
This research is a one place study so i have no family stories to follow so thought i would check public trees on Ancestry,found ten,all of whom say Robert Snr died in 1851 with no source except other trees.
I am amazed that you would join a subscription site and just copy other peoples trees even when they are wrong!More money than sense????????????
Eric
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline dwfeathers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Research
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 16 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Unsourced trees are a big problem. They just add to the many irrelevant 'hints' that subscription sites seem to return.
Featherstone Healey Gurney Brown Fisher Hargreaves Pearson Coulthard Greenish Pickard Rutherford

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 16 06:50 GMT (UK) »
It's not just subscription sites - there are trees all over the internet which contain incorrect information.

They probably originate from one incorrect tree, which has then been copied by others and put on the internet for all to see.

The trouble is, that if there are lots of them, people believe them simply because there are so many (despite them all being incorrect). Perhaps there may be one which is correct which is dismissed because none of the others agree.

I think many of us have found examples of this related to our research.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 December 16 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I have found trees online that seem to be accurate but don't add people to my tree until I have checked them. Some are pretty accurate or at least give me ideas on where to target research.

I took a 14 day free trial recently and picked a good hint for the father of a illegitimate relative - I need to go the library mentioned to check it is correct. (24 hour flight each way).  His wife died and within 12 months a servant has a baby and 2 years later he marries someone else and then emigrates - all to be followed up.

I have also found men with two wives at the same time according to their tree and I don't think that's legal in Hampshire and in small towns they wouldn't get away with it although there might be mistresses.

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Renatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 16 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I just added many German relatives to a couple of branches some going back to 1500's - all from ancestry trees, which I checked as I went, to make sure they tallied. Missed one big inaccuracy though, despite being on more than ten or so trees - son born in 1756 / father in 1726 / mother in 1781??? I've had to leave that family motherless, though the paternal line seems okay. Every time I try to review sources, it comes up that I need to buy a worldwide subscription which I'm not going to do.  >:(
BETTS Brisbane, LEWIS Llangurig, PADFIELD Coleford, BUTTON Somerset, LERGESSNER Berlichingen, DONNELLY Tyrone, BETTS Suffolk, NEEDHAM Norfolk.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
How many times.... OTHER TREES ARE NOT SOURCES. Other trees can lead you to sources. Nothing wrong with looking at trees to see if they've got some information you haven't - as long as you follow it up properly. Oh well, I'm sure you guys here don't need telling. :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
How many times.... OTHER TREES ARE NOT SOURCES. Other trees can lead you to sources. Nothing wrong with looking at trees to see if they've got some information you haven't - as long as you follow it up properly. Oh well, I'm sure you guys here don't need telling. :)
Exactly...... it's the only way to go ........ look at the information,check with your detail and adopt,adapt,and improve.
Joe  ;) ;)
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »

That is the big problem, they are HINTS, not facts and not sources. If someone gives you a hint, it is meant to lead to looking for something, unfortunately people dont do that, they just copy. Even on here we still get people who maintain a date/ name etc is right as " trees I've seen on line all say that." As Ruskie so rightly pointed out, it only takes one person to record a fact incorrectly and soon it is accepted by half a dozen others as being correct.

This subject comes up regularly on here, but I'm afraid it is something that will never stop as long as certain sites advertise with such phrases as, " Just type in your name and trace your family back to the year dot! "  It isn't that easy, as we know. In the end though, it is up to the individual, if they are happy to accept inaccuracies that is up to them. You'll probably find that a lot of those are people who took up offers, did their tree during that time after being inspired by a programme such as WDYTYA, and haven't looked at it since. Genealogy, as we know, is an expensive and time consuming hobby and a lot of people don't want to spend time or money on it, they want it handed to them on a plate.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 December 16 09:33 GMT (UK) »
It's not just subscription sites - there are trees all over the internet which contain incorrect information.  They probably originate from one incorrect tree, which has then been copied by others and put on the internet for all to see.

In other contexts that would be called a virus ....  :(  ... or a Chinese whisper ...  >:(
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young