Author Topic: Baldwins in Ifield and Worth  (Read 678 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Baldwins in Ifield and Worth
« on: Tuesday 27 December 16 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Can someone check the parish registers of Ilfield for the date of a marriage in Ifield and also a christening in Worth.

The marriage I am looking for is that of Sydracke Baldwin and Susan Langley [or Longley]. According to Familysearch the marriage took place in Jul 1586, however it lists two entries with different dates. The first date given is 12 July 1586 and the second entry has the date as 22 July 1586. In both cases Susan's surname is transcribed as 'Langle'

The christening I am looking for is that of Jane Baldwin, daughter of John and Jane Baldwin in Worth, Sussex. Family search gives two dates for this christening. The first date is 5 February 1708 and the second date given is 22 February 1708. In both cases the christening took place in Worth.

It would be useful to know in each case which of the two dates is correct according to the original Parish Registers or Bishops Transcripts.

Thanks
Matt

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: Baldwins in Ifield and Worth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
When FamilySearch gives two or more marriage dates a week or so apart the usual explanation is that the latest date is that of the marriage and the earlier ones are those on which banns were published, or else the date of the licence. But in this case I'm not sure.

I've seen an image of the Ifield register and to my eyes the date is the 12th July - I read: "xijth of July same year." It's pretty clear, IMO; you can check this yourself - the image is online (you need to register with FamilySearch). Here's he link: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/370387 Click the camera symbol for the first register in the list (Film/DGS 1520052) and examine Image 25. There's a useful comparison - "xxiijth" - towards the bottom of the page.

As for the Worth baptism, the register has 5 Feb 1708 (Old Style, so 1709 to us) and the BT has 22 Feb 1708 (Old Style, so 1709 to us - but the change of year from 1707 to 1708 occurs on a preceding page and is not clearly marked, so a little uncertain). The BT entry looks to be mistaken, conflating Jane's baptism with that of the couple's son John a year earlier. You'd best check all this yourself; again, the images are online at FamilySearch.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
When FamilySearch gives two or more marriage dates a week or so apart the usual explanation is that the latest date is that of the marriage and the earlier ones are those on which banns were published, or else the date of the licence. But in this case I'm not sure.

I've seen an image of the Ifield register and to my eyes the date is the 12th July - I read: "xijth of July same year." It's pretty clear, IMO; you can check this yourself - the image is online (you need to register with FamilySearch). Here's he link: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/370387 Click the camera symbol for the first register in the list (Film/DGS 1520052) and examine Image 25. There's a useful comparison - "xxiijth" - towards the bottom of the page.

As for the Worth baptism, the register has 5 Feb 1708 (Old Style, so 1709 to us) and the BT has 22 Feb 1708 (Old Style, so 1709 to us - but the change of year from 1707 to 1708 occurs on a preceding page and is not clearly marked, so a little uncertain). The BT entry looks to be mistaken, conflating Jane's baptism with that of the couple's son John a year earlier. You'd best check all this yourself; again, the images are online at FamilySearch.

Many thanks for that info. I've looked at the images and they seem very useful. Hopefully I will find more details about the Baldwins and related families in this.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »

Do you know if the registers for Worth can be viewed online via Familysearch?

I'm also interested to know if there's a connection between Susan Langley [who married Sydrach Baldwin] and Agnes Langley who was the second wife of Sydrach's father, James. When James and Agnes married in 1583 both were described as widowed so could Agnes' first husband be related to Susan in some way?

Matt

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »

Yes, they and the BTs for Worth are online at FamilySearch, at least for the years around your initial query, probably for the late 16th Century too. Go to the Catalog and search by place and Church records for Worth should be returned in the list.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Yes, they and the BTs for Worth are online at FamilySearch, at least for the years around your initial query, probably for the late 16th Century too. Go to the Catalog and search by place and Church records for Worth should be returned in the list.

Thanks for that.