Author Topic: SLUPSKI, Kazimierz  (Read 1890 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SLUPSKI, Kazimierz
« on: Thursday 29 December 16 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please help me to trace Polish and German records and/or history for the Subject person:

SLUPSKI, Kazimierz, Polish, R.C. born 10.07.1926 Poland/Warschau, arrived Wellington, New Zealand on 24 Jun 1949 aboard the "Dundalk Bay" for Pahiatua Camp.

Embarkation Number = F4405  [F = Single Man fit for Employment, first 4 = Polish, last three digits (405) = embarkation roll].

He came from the Displaced Persons Camp, Butzbach, U.S. Zone Germany (which I believe was just north of Frankfurt)

The SS 'Dundalk Bay' departed with Emigrants from Grugliasco Camp, Italy, sailing from Trieste on 20 May 1949 under the auspices of the International Refugee Organisation, Group Resettlement to New Zealand.

His full name may well be Kazimierz Jan SLUPSKi and he was known as Karl.

The family is very interested in tracing his earlier whereabouts in Poland and then Germany before his emigration to NZ as a refugee.

With thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards
francoso

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SLUPSKI, Kazimierz
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
I have done extensive research on my father in law Ostap Kabluckyj b 1927 -
this may or may not be the same for you as it was for me
Ostap Kabluckyj b 1927 - Rogahtyn in Poland - Rohatyn in Ukraine ...SAME village
Although my father in law was born in Poland it became Ukraine and just before WW2 the Russians invaded Ukraine - there was /is a stretch of land on the Polish and Ukraine border which changes ownership regularly - Poland -Ukraine-Poland -Ukraine etc
SO - when WW2 started and Hitler was at war with RUSSIA - thousands of men from this area of Poland / Ukraine signed up to fight WITH Hitler against Russia because they wanted the Russians out of their country - Ukraine .(at that particular time )
This Regiment - 14th Waffen - Grenadier SS Division was later posted to Italy - where many were killed or wounded - my father in law was wounded ...anyway in 1946 after the war this group of soldiers were given a choice
3 years as Prisoners of War in either England / Scotland / Wales /Canada / Australia / New Zealand
( all countries of the British Empire ) or they could return to The Ukraine - whereupon they were informed they may be shot as Traitors by the Russians for fighting for Germany ...
their 3 years as prisoners were working on farms growing food for local communities .
my father in law came to England along with 46,000 others . he never returned home for fear of being shot .
http://www.axishistory.com/books/119-germany-waffen-ss/germany-waffen-ss-divisions/1295-14-waffen-grenadier-division-der-ss-ukrainische-nr-1

you may find this thread interesting
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=573780.0

so - my suggestion is that although he was born as a Polish citizen -did his town became Ukraine and he possibly fought with the Germans - and became a POW ??
VERY VERY few of the thousands who were POW's and settled in English Empire countries told their families they fought FOR the Germans - but MANY did and I quite understand why my Father in Law did - because he wanted the Russians out of his town - simple as that .

so if you get Rogatyn /Rohatyn / up on a map of Ukraine and see how far it is to the Poland border and maybe Slupski is a name around those parts .

have a look at this tree - may help in the area of Poland ??
http://gw.geneanet.org/lepioszka?n=slupski&oc=&p=tadeusz+kazimierz

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, garstonite, for taking the trouble to provide this interesting information. As I understand it, Germany invaded Poland on 1 Sep 1939 and Russia invaded Poland on the 17 Sep 1939. This being the case, your father-in-law would have been only 12 and my Kazimierz Slupski would have been just 13. Both very young to sign up for any army I would have thought but maybe in the circumstances they did. Kazimierz was born in Warsaw so he was unlikely to be near the Ukranian border.

I will your story in mind while seeking further info. In particular, I would like to locate any records of the Butzbach Displaced Persons Camp.
Regards
francoso

Offline Vanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 22 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Francoso - have you had any further luck with your search regarding Kazimierz Slupski?. I've managed to find out a little more since I last wrote and if you were still interested would be happy to pass it on.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 22 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, Vanda 13. Thanks for getting in touch. I haven't been able to find out anything further and would much appreciate it if you would send additional information.
Regards
francoso

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 09:03 BST (UK) »
https://collections.arolsen-archives.org/en/search

this archive has several records of a Kazimierz Slupski, born Warsaw 10/07/1926.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Vanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 09:35 BST (UK) »
The post by fiddlerslass is correct - and was actually the link I was going to direct you to. If you enter his name and birthdate, you'll come across several records pertaining to him - including his records when he was taken to Stalag 318 - complete with picture of an 18 year old Kazimierz. The German record gives his 'rank' as gunner in the 21st Inf Reg. The 21st Infantry Regiment were mountain soldiers originally - they encountered the first Germans in the invasion of Poland. At some point they moved their headquarters to Warsaw and were disbanded by 1939 (from memory). However, the 21st Infantry Regiment became known as the 'Children of Warsaw' and it is my understanding that this covered those under the age of 18 fighting in the Warsaw Uprising and beyond. Kazimierz fits into this timeline. His Stalag 318 record shows his capture in Warsaw as being 5.10.1944 so this definitely fits....and the history of that time shows 6000 soldiers taken to Stalag 318 at that time. There are other records for 2 further Stalags and I believe he would have been part of 'The Long March' in 1945. He has two separate Displaced Persons records - one in 1946 where he wanted to go to Venezuela but was deported (or was meant to be deported) to Poland........which was then amended to him wanting to go to England - and there's no note of deportation. If you have a chance to read about Stalag 318, I think you'll agree his drinking and being drunk was the only way to cope with the horrors he had lived through. And then he shows up again in Germany in 1948 at Butzbach. You'll come across records for his flight to Italy to catch the Dundalk Bay to New Zealand. However - still can't find the family: there is a second Maternal Family name on one of his documents of Bocian. They were Jewish and did have a daughter called Rosalie - but she didn't marry Stanislaw Slupski. Hope you find more. Happy hunting

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 July 22 05:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Fidlerslass, for posting the archive, it certainly contains interesting material about his capture and journey through the Camps.
Much appreciated.
francoso

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 July 22 13:07 BST (UK) »
Had a look at this site.
Itīs a long shot but might be worth looking at.
10th entry

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=71wa&rid=S&search_lastname=Slupski&search_name=Stanislaw&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

You can get the polish doc by clicking on "skan"
compare the parents names from the
https://collections.arolsen-archives.org/en/search

Dave